BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

The "MONSTRO" Build Thread

Go down 
+8
mikiehews
bowtiepimp
mp775
1984twodoor
sdstick
toomanytoyz
Cadet57
Ironfistdog
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

The "MONSTRO" Build Thread Empty
PostSubject: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 7:20 pm

So I figured it's time to get off my ass and actually do a build thread on the car. 
It started out as a 1992 caprice wagon that I picked up for my wife when she was pregnant with my daughter. I wanted a family car, and what says family more than a station wagon!!!! I remember going to the Cape every summer in the back of my fathers 1956 nomad when i was a kid and wanted my daughter and future kids to have the same type of memories! Ive owned one of every single year caprice 91-96 in a sedan EXCEPT 1992, I also had never owned a wagon...... So I killed 2 birds with one stone.

Now the car was in decent shape few rust spots on the fender to bumper joints and some rot along the roof where the windshield is, but not to bad for a 92. 

I ended up driving it for 6 months (maybe less) until my wife couldn't deal with the gas guzzling..... 
Ended up trading it to my father for that c10 I was building. Come to find out half the sending unit was rotted and the lines were garbage... Spilling gas all over as he was driving it!!! No wonder the gas was going so quick! 50% was on the street!!!
He did the sending unit, pump and tank straps and it was a whole new car!  I don't remember what deal went down next but some how my brother got the car and in the very SHORT time he had it decided to beat on her like it was his job. I distinctly remember him barreling into the yard with it getting out and repeatedly kicking the drivers door because it wouldn't stop overheating Sad  he also smokes and put cigarette burns on the mint grey dash pad and on the seats. Carpet looked like someone from a oil rig hitched a ride with him everyday WTF?!?!

I ended up trading him my partially assembled c-10 for the wagon and I don't think I'll let her go again. Alot of work ahead of me for this one!
Named Monstro after the big mean black whale in Pinocchio
Here's what I bought:
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread 44d4dba5

And what she looked like the day I got her back (I added the moons+rings I had for the truck project) 
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread 1318774935
fenders are dented, doors dented, car smells like a 1920's speakeasy, cigarette burns on the dash, headliner falling, rotten tail gate, exhaust held on by 3 coat hangers, motor covered in oil that's pissing out of the oil pan gasket and valve covers, and half the stuff no longer works. Great Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

First thing I did was bomb the hell out of it with flat black paint (sorry about the cell pics)
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread 793e5135

If you notice real close the windows were just starting to get tinted red
(I later changed my mind!)
Also made up a custom grille..... Yeah that says Kingswood.. Oh yeah! I went there!!!! Lol
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread 4e692d3d
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 7:24 pm

Where does one get Kingswood badges? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 7:29 pm

I had to hunt down someone with a parts car. Not an easy task!! They are original 60's emblem's. Was gonna do Brookwood but the Kingswood was top model (also could have done parkwood).
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 7:40 pm

After many a months of storing an air bag kit I decided this was the project to do it to, so I started baggin' the wagon!!
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread 2cf53f3e

The "MONSTRO" Build Thread F2c8bfa9

The "MONSTRO" Build Thread 5b1e96fd

The "MONSTRO" Build Thread 81cf3924

Last edited by Ironfistdog on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Where does one get Kingswood badges? Twisted Evil
Welcome to 1975 Austin Powers, and Fasha. (in my best Goldmember voice)

Really digging this thread. Show us more. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Really low but still not on the frame Sad little new trimming and it'll get there!
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread 48129c80
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 8:05 pm

After I got the Buick I could start swapping doors and fix the tailgate....
Anyone with a wagon * make sure you open the gate as a door first and remove the spring bolts BEFORE folding down if your changing gates*
I almost lost my fingers affraid

Few more pics of the now multi colored project *taken about a week ago*
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread A7318148
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread 30c64d3e

Also got rid of that Bubba Gump lip looking rear bumper for a nice smooth roll pan (I think Im currently the only member with a wagon with this) pm if anyone needs help with this!
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread 662b0bfd

Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Cool. Smile

We need a parts list for the air bag set up. Just, uh, to be sure you did it right. Wink

Looking forward to updates!

(needs lake pipes and tint!)
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 8:47 pm

I originally had 5% in there, took it out to tint it red ala 60's gasser and then decided it wasnt for me!
I did price out lake pipe already I wanted triple exits (which are actually just for show)
But im afraid with it aired all the way out they'll be destroyed.

I drove it by the local college the first week it was bagged and trying to impress a couple girls walking by dropped it down and cruised low for about 400 feet. Ripped the stock single pipe exhaust right the hell off! Had to add yet another coat hanger until I could get home and weld the hanger back to the frame. (face into palm) Embarassed

This is pretty much current on photos. Gonna swap the factory x-member for the 94-96 one from the Buick, and I have Brian's bonnies I'm dying black this week, Now if I could just get all these darn studs removed I'd have it back to black in no time (shakes fist at Buick parts)

Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 10:16 pm

Those studs just sheared off with a little convincing.
Took a couple off while figuring out the trim....doh
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 10:48 pm

I think I like the red tint! Call me weird but I'd like it like that with the red wheels and moons Arrow

I love how it's looking but I can't wait to see if you do what I think you're doing (which may or may not be fleetwood front end swap Twisted Evil )
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 12:48 am

Oh it IS!!!!! Twisted Evil all the parts are here. This weekends project! The hood was the last piece I needed. Still looking for grille but I'll make one for now if I have to! It's also getting caddy tail lights which I have the buckets made for just deciding on deville or FWB ones (FWB are a little wider)
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 7:30 am

Ironfistdog wrote:
I drove it by the local college the first week it
was bagged and trying to impress a couple girls walking by dropped it
down and cruised low for about 400 feet. Ripped the stock single pipe
exhaust right the hell off! Had to add yet another coat hanger until I
could get home and weld the hanger back to the frame. (face into
palm)
And the girls' reaction?

I'm liking the roll pan... The "MONSTRO" Build Thread 33
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 7:55 am

Ironfistdog wrote:
It's also getting caddy tail lights which I have the buckets made for just deciding on deville or FWB ones (FWB are a little wider)

......... .02¢....... I would go with the deville ( 93-99 ). The way the rear bumper cover is one piece will give it smooth stream line look. Especially if your gonna black the car out. Then you can you insert the rear plate trunk bezel from the deville in your tailgate. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 9:18 am

Deville lights for sure. Fleetwood lights are too chunky.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 9:48 am

Ironfistdog wrote:
Oh it IS!!!!! Twisted Evil all the parts are here. This weekends project! The hood was the last piece I needed. Still looking for grille but I'll make one for now if I have to! It's also getting caddy tail lights which I have the buckets made for just deciding on deville or FWB ones (FWB are a little wider)

I can't wait to see it! Hopefully I get over the flares lol. Are you going to keep any trim or just have it shaved clean?
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 11:42 am

Thanks guys I was leaning toward deville's anyway.... If nothing more just for the fact that the N* will provide me with many a replacement if ever needed!
I gotta keep the very front trim as there is a huge factory gap between bumper and fender there. (at least til I can weld in sheet metal)
- losing all the bottom door trim, I already stripped the belt trim from the caprice,
-losing both mirrors
-losing the front fender high mount chrome as well

AND I have a couple of surprise tricks up my sleeve I'm still working the kinks out of Twisted Evil Arrow Twisted Evil

I love the roll pan, needs some material removed so the gate folds down, and I need to mold it to the car a little better. I stuffed it on knowing I'd be losing the factory lights soon. But over all beats the piss outta the factory diving board!!!!

I'm also contemplating rear skirts for her but I don't want it to be too much.....
Skirts on fat fendered 40's rod= Arrow
Skirts on newer cars....... scratch

Oh and the girls were NOT impressed geek
But I've had plenty of successful tricks since then! My father followed me home from the yard the other day with my FWB hood in his truck and was laughing the whole time at ppls reaction to me slamming the rear up and down at every stop light!

Back to top Go down
mikiehews

mikiehews

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 3:42 pm

in the words of austin powers "yeah baby", I like it all so far.
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 8:57 am

which bag kit did you use? I've always wanted to do bags in a car, but wasn't sure I was qualified to install it.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 4:57 pm

This kit was for a c-10 pickup, (DON'T DO THAT!!!!!) I ended up wasting alot of time and $ making this kit work, I couldve built it alot cheaper just buying separate parts.
This setup is a little different than Anthony's car.
I used 1/2 valves and lines so it has very QUICK movement.
I also relocated my shocks to the garbage can because the kit didn't come with relocator brackets.
I can't wait to get those back in there!!!!
Thing rides real rough with no shocks!
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm a lazy bum, but I did manage to start the tail lights this week, I assembled a work tent (cheeeeeeeap) so I got a little shelter now.
Hoping to spend a little time each day this week on it.
Not done by far in the pic but it's coming along. Bulbs are spliced in and rewired so they full work now.

The "MONSTRO" Build Thread 545283b2
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 7:41 pm

Dude those look killer!
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:

AWESOME!!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 8:08 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:

Hell yeah Arrow
Back to top Go down
96slowss

96slowss

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 9:05 pm

nice. i like the caddys in the wagon never really saw that before
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 3:51 pm

That looks like it was supposed to be there! Nice!
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 3:13 am

Pulling the air ride and putting it in the caddy.
Wheels are coming off and the engine is getting yanked for something else.

THE REST OF THE CAR IS FOR SALE!

Have grey interior 91-93 in ok shape-make offer
Adriatic blue 94-96 RMW door panels -$30 for all 4
Adriatic blue RMW dash (complete les climate control) -$50
Have the FWB front clip for sale -$120 (no bumper or grille)
Dual exhaust x-member 94-96- $50
Tan bonnies (needs new rear bottom)-$40 for the whole set
Fiberglass wagon roll pan-$100
Will take $700 from any badass member for the car with out the rims and air ride.
And you could do what you want with it. (I can always get another 350 engine)

I already have a badass caddy I don't need another one that's a wagon. And im gonna build a 30's/40's rod again and this is in the way.
Plenty of good parts. Rest is going to scrap.

Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 6:50 am

What engine/trans are in the wagon? I'm kind of looking for something to replace the i6 in my 66 gmc truck.
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 8:44 am

The "MONSTRO" Build Thread M11

Guessing you have the same problem Razz
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 9:01 am

It's not so much an attention thing, I just dont have any real love for b-body wagons. I got it back from my brother so he could have my truck. I like to build shyt for the sake of building. Was just keeping busy with this until I found a 30's or 40's car again.
Since I've been tinkering with the caddy (which is my first love) I'd rather put the time in on her.
And since the whole point of the wagon was to look old skool Im throwing time away on it that could be used building a true rat rod like the Plymouth, 55 & 56 chevy, and 48 chevy I had before. Anthony let me borrow some DVDs and it's sparked a desire to build something that's truly artistic and not a half ass 90's car made to look old. Ya know what I mean? Originally I was just gonna pull the body off and drop a 40's body on it. Then I got ahold of Matt for his '87's bent frame. Now I'm probably gonna be building a 1930 and I'm going full Straight axle and traditional parts so the frame from a modern car is pretty much useless. I'll use the motor and trans, and the air bags will go to the caddy.

I'd like to sell it as a whole car for $2800 ($800 less than I have into it) but who's gonna buy a half built wagon?
The rat rod came up alot quicker than I thought.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 9:20 am

Glad you've decided to do what you really want to do.
Look forward to seeing things pull together.

Please contact ADMIN so they can add the appropriate section Razz

PS: 1930 what?
Back to top Go down
mp775

mp775

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 11:46 am

Bummer, I was looking forward to the end product. Someone snag this and put a Caddy front clip on!

Do the RMW door panels have the Concert II speakers (or at least knockout panels to easily add them later)?
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 pm

Yeah well go to cusstom.com there's a ton of them on there, I thought there was only a few since I couldn't find any photos or info, apparently it's a common mod.... Who knew???

Steve it's a 1930 Plymouth sedan going to look at it again this weekend. Getting it for nothing.
Here's a pic...... Seriously if anyone wouldn't sacrifice a 92 wagon for this there is something wrong with you lol!
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread Ea16cc44
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 9:27 pm

Ironfistdog wrote:
Yeah well go to cusstom.com there's a ton of them on there, I thought there was only a few since I couldn't find any photos or info, apparently it's a common mod.... Who knew???

Steve it's a 1930 Plymouth sedan going to look at it again this weekend. Getting it for nothing.
Here's a pic...... Seriously if anyone wouldn't sacrifice a 92 wagon for this there is something wrong with you lol!
The "MONSTRO" Build Thread Ea16cc44

Why not keep the wagon chassis, and put that body on it?
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 11:10 pm

That was gonna be an option, by if I o that route I have to run full fenders, unless I remove all the front suspension and add the straight axle to it. I won't run bags I this I want it permanently lowered. Frame will be the last thing to go. I still have to part out the top and remove the body. Keeping the frame would be freaking' sweet in case I find a 40's car to build and sell
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "MONSTRO" Build Thread   The "MONSTRO" Build Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The "MONSTRO" Build Thread
Page 1 of 1