BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Today at 8:56 am by No Moa

» 95 9C1
Today at 8:55 am by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Today at 6:49 am by bowtiepimp

» Charcoal gray Bonneville seats
Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:14 pm by Matt Trakker

» Tee shirts and shit for the roundup?
Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:24 am by MalibuSSwagon

» For all B-bodies
Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:59 am by sdstick

» 1994 Roadmaster sedan
Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:41 am by MASShole9C1

» 96 SS Part out
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:20 pm by 95brmw

» 1996 Caprice Part out
Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:36 am by Tomz9C1

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

chain saw recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fatvet

PostSubject: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:53 pm

any reason to stay clear of this one ??

SKU Number: 3909986
Manufacturers Number: 952802155
Chainsaw | Brand : Husqvarna® | Bar Length : 16 in. | Saw Pitch : 3/8 in. | Product Weight : 10.3 lb. | Power Source : Gas | Engine : 2-Cycle/34 cc | Horsepower : 1.8 HP | Application : Pruning/Limbing/Small Trees | Warranty : 2-Year Limited

saw it at tractor supply site.

-ALF out....
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2386222
booth9C1SS

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:16 pm

My only experience with a Husky Chain saw is the one on our forestry truck (fire depatment). It works okay but it sucks. I think huskys are good to the occational use homeowner . I have a Stiehl 029 and love it. it seem to run better and be more reliable that the FD saw (I don't use mine very often either).

I think it's like comparing a Black and Decker drill to a DeWalt. You pay a little more in the initial investment, but it's worth it in the long run.
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.com/booth9c1ss
mikiehews

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:48 pm

I just bought this:
Poulan PP3416 2-Cycle Gas Chain Saw 16" - 34cc

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=poulan+chainsaw&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=793&wrapid=tlif132131078821810&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16852418300275455474&sa=X&ei=K5rBTsXZM-ra0QGOqqizBA&ved=0CIIBEPMCMAI#

I only used it once. All lite duty stuff. Clean up at my mother in laws house in springfield. It worked pissa! Only time will tell how it holds up.
Back to top Go down
Fishah

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:01 pm

My dad still uses the Stihl Chainsaw that his father purchased 40 years ago. They are a quality machine, and that's certainly the brand I would purchase.
Back to top Go down
Pooge

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:34 pm

I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert on this having owned a landscaping business for 5 years...

First thing we should know is what you plan to use it for...that saw might be great for your use or far too small...

I own all commercial Stihl power equipment from leave blowers to weedwackers (commercial weed wackers are essentially small chain saws), howeveer for saws i prefer Husky. Their saws tend to be a bit more user friendly with quality anti vibration features and lighter weight to a similar Stihl saw from what i have seen. I own a Husky 357 XP professional model with well over 500 hours on it with only one rebuild, which was voluntary.

These days with the fuel the way it is any quality saw can turn to shit in no time at all if not properly prepped and seasoned. Its my recommendation that whatever you get, be it Stihl or Husky, you buy it from an independent retailer, someone who services them (more likely to be decent to you come service time if you buy it from them) and has the high end products, sometimes the box stores carry a similar, but lesser quality product. Hell, i swear the husky chains I buy at Tractor supply dull significantly faster on similar wood...

Doug

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:42 pm

[quote="Pooge"

I own all commercial Stihl power equipment from leave blowers to weedwackers

Doug[/quote]

...... thats the key part right there..... commercial grade Arrow

...... the stuff you buy at home depot isnt always the same quality as a commercial supplier. While they look the same. the products they sell to commercial customers is far better. sounds stupid but is true.
Back to top Go down
fatvet

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:57 pm

thanx for the opinions
i was looking at the poulan too....but i think it looks too light weight for my needs....

i have one tree that is totally up rooted and say 30 feet tall so trunk is good size.
the rest of the trees have like 5-10" round limbs that broke off and are over 10' long
so state won't pickum up unless i trim them....

what sucks is i gotta budget the purchase price, the chain oil, the fuel, some safety gear, and maybe a storage case.... gets pricey FAST... silent

-ALF out...
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:01 pm

fatvet wrote:
thanx for the opinions
i was looking at the poulan too....but i think it looks too light weight for my needs....

i have one tree that is totally up rooted and say 30 feet tall so trunk is good size.
the rest of the trees have like 5-10" round limbs that broke off and are over 10' long
so state won't pickum up unless i trim them....

what sucks is i gotta budget the purchase price, the chain oil, the fuel, some safety gear, and maybe a storage case.... gets pricey FAST... silent

-ALF out...

well don't be afraid of CL or a pawn shop...... you could walk away with a great deal. cheers
Back to top Go down
fatvet

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:07 pm

i know if i ever buy a chainsaw it will be new and with warranty.....
I just don't have the know how or experience to risk used. with cars i am fine buying used
i have 5 so at least one will be working .... Suspect
chainsaw.... not so much.

you get what you pay for is sooo true.
-ALF out..
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Based on your description of the trees, you should be looking at a larger chainsaw.
16" aint gonna cut it...no pun intended

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Pooge

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Is this the only thing you plan to cut anytime soon? If price is going to keep you from making the correct purchase, why not rent one for this job?

Doug

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:22 pm

There you go^^^^
You'll probably never even have to sharpen the chain

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:43 pm

My "boss" who I help out quite a bit used to swear by Husquvarna but he got one recently that will stall and not start the rest of the day. My dad has an old craftsman cheapie that he uses for smaller jobs here and there never had an issue.

It does look like Stihl is the way to go judging from the previous posts though.
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:33 am

Pooge wrote:
I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert on this having owned a landscaping business for 5 years...

First thing we should know is what you plan to use it for...that saw might be great for your use or far too small...

I own all commercial Stihl power equipment from leave blowers to weedwackers (commercial weed wackers are essentially small chain saws), howeveer for saws i prefer Husky. Their saws tend to be a bit more user friendly with quality anti vibration features and lighter weight to a similar Stihl saw from what i have seen. I own a Husky 357 XP professional model with well over 500 hours on it with only one rebuild, which was voluntary.

These days with the fuel the way it is any quality saw can turn to shit in no time at all if not properly prepped and seasoned. Its my recommendation that whatever you get, be it Stihl or Husky, you buy it from an independent retailer, someone who services them (more likely to be decent to you come service time if you buy it from them) and has the high end products, sometimes the box stores carry a similar, but lesser quality product. Hell, i swear the husky chains I buy at Tractor supply dull significantly faster on similar wood...

Doug

I have nothing meaningful to add to Doug's most obviously experience-derived observations.

Being no chainsaw expert, when it came time to buy mine, I researched the subject extensively first, and finally went with the Husqvarna 385 XP, and it is AWESOME!

Next year I want an additional saw, only a bit smaller for limbing and smaller stuff.

What do you recommend, Doug?

Since I am Swedish, I would certainly not mind staying with the Husqvarna brand.

I would guess that Husky (NOT purchased from any big box store) would be a good first choice, and Stihl a good second.

I also had a big Jonsered chainsaw years ago, but it was very temperamental, and before that I had cheap McCulloch saws, (they wore out quickly).

Thanx for the heads-up on big store sourced Husky brand replacement chains dulling prematurely, I'm not surprised though!

I get all my supplies from a small & local pro-lawn equipment repair shop.

Back to top Go down
Pooge

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:50 am

Machine-De-Zine wrote:

Next year I want an additional saw, only a bit smaller for limbing and smaller stuff.

What do you recommend, Doug?

I would think anything in the Husky Rancher family of saws would be perfect for that. I'm not up on what the models numbers have been the past couple years, but the Rancher is a high end homeowner series for decent money. Since you already have a nice XP pro model (And a huge one at that!), I would think a 50ish CC model with a 16" bar would work nice for what you're looking for in a second saw.

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:24 am

nice discussion....

I got lost cuz i thought you guys were abbreviating Husqvarna with Husky
seems like it is TWO different brands ?

Is it that Husky is the Home Depot brand ? i have a electric Husky power washer from Home Depot....

i was afraid you would say 16" is not enough, my original reading said 18-20" is what i need but
it is a substantial price jump.

Cuz i'm a novice i would think i'd be so slow that by the time i am done renting one i could have bought one
between this job and a couple other areas of my property i think i will get some good use outa the saw in next 2 years.

after that may not need it for a long while.

I have been lookin on my own but so far the only thing i have shown the wife was a newspaper ad for a StiHL (18") that was $299.00
was hoping to stay under 300 but that is looking like a pipe dream...
-ALF out...
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 am

You can get by with 16" but you'll have to work extra hard managing the cuts & you'll do alot of sharpening if its hardwood.
1/2 way thru the job you'll wish you went bigger.
Alot of saws come with a 2nd chain which gets you further into the cutting but a 30Ft tree gotta be 12" DIA.
If your cutting for fireplace size thats alot of cuts.
I'm a big supporter of the right tool for the job.
I have that same fight with myself ALL the time....

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Pooge

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:38 am

fatvet wrote:
nice discussion....

I got lost cuz i thought you guys were abbreviating Husqvarna with Husky
seems like it is TWO different brands ?

Is it that Husky is the Home Depot brand ? i have a electric Husky power washer from Home Depot....

i was afraid you would say 16" is not enough, my original reading said 18-20" is what i need but
it is a substantial price jump.

Cuz i'm a novice i would think i'd be so slow that by the time i am done renting one i could have bought one
between this job and a couple other areas of my property i think i will get some good use outa the saw in next 2 years.

after that may not need it for a long while.

I have been lookin on my own but so far the only thing i have shown the wife was a newspaper ad for a StiHL (18") that was $299.00
was hoping to stay under 300 but that is looking like a pipe dream...
-ALF out...

I am using Husky as an abbreviation for Husqvarna, sorry for the confusion. I in no way recommend a Home Depot brand product of any kind that has moving parts...

There is no way you need a 20" and from your description of what you will be doing, I would say even an 18" might be overkill.

I have to go ahead and disagree that a 16" bar is not enough. My reason for disagreeing is that I have done EVERY cut on my property including taking down every tree on my once wooded lot, with an 18" bar or less. Yes I sharpen it regularly, but even this weekend I bucked (Cut to firewood length) nothing but hardwood, did 4 cords and didn't need to do any sharpening all day. Only maybe a dozen cuts of the hundreds that I did required the full 18" length.

Normally this weekend I would have switched to the 16" bar for bucking, because I hate using any larger bar than absolutely needed, but we were lifting the logs with the excavator, so the longer bar wasn't hitting anything. Too much bar can lead to hitting ground or other logs laying under the one you are cutting which helps dull the blade and stretch it, especially for a novice, which can become a huge safety issue. I would much rather make two cuts with a sharp blade in the few places were it would be needed, than to sharpen my saw 2-3 times in a day due to hitting dirt or rock under a log.

Also, a smaller bar, although it is gonna dull a bit quicker is going to take less power to run at the same cutting RPM, which will lower the motor size that you will need, which in turn will lower the price. My 57cc commercial saw is BY FAR the smallest motor I would ever consider for an 18" bar, otherwise I would be bogging way too much for my liking on the bigger hardwoods.

I also highly recommend you get the safety/procedural DVD from Husqvarna or Stihl. It sounds dumb, but it will reinforce a lot of common sense safety as well as let you know when is the right time to sharpen your blades and how to do it right.

I'd rather see you get the smaller saw with a 16" bar (Even if you have to make a few extra cuts) and have money left over for a helmet/goggle combo and Kevlar chaps. CHAPS ARE A MUST! I have a very healthy saw cut on my kevlar chaps from a kickback and I consider myself a fairly seasoned "logger". I assure you I would have had a very serious injury without those chaps.

Doug

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Well
I got lucky and my friend from work came over with his pickup log splitter and Stihl 16" saw.
about 5 hours and we were 80% done.
He also have safety helmet, chaps, orange vest, and ear protection.

I just tried to keep up with moving debris out of his path so he would not trip......

all the trunks we split make a nice pile of wood one log wide, about 4.5 feet tall and 8 feet long stacked in the garage, cheers

all the un split trunks made another pile about 4 feet high and 6 feet long, stacked outside.

I worked until dark trying to make one big brush pile but like i said only 80% done...

He did have to make smart cuts on the thicker parts but definitely 18" bar would not have made a big difference, just a tiny bit
easier but not worth the price i a new 18" saw.

I think we easily had 2k worth of equip and supplies in my yard, most likely i won't need any of it for another 10 years....
Definitely will buy a 16" saw when i get around to buying, and will spent extra for the Stihl brand.
-ALF out....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: chain saw recommendations   Today at 4:34 pm

Back to top Go down

chain saw recommendations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1