BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:48 pm

That car used to be white?

I'm sure you remember me saying but I feel bad too because that car is a figment of my childhood memories, I remember riding by it on my bike and seeing it around Malden in the early 1990s, it was in mint condition back then. I KNOW it was the same car, same dark red, same pinstripe, same rally wheels and everything and I think I even remember the emblem on the trunk the guy added.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:18 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
That car used to be white?

I'm sure you remember me saying but I feel bad too because that car is a figment of my childhood memories, I remember riding by it on my bike and seeing it around Malden in the early 1990s, it was in mint condition back then. I KNOW it was the same car, same dark red, same pinstripe, same rally wheels and everything and I think I even remember the emblem on the trunk the guy added.

Yeah it was built by a tech at Clay Chevrolet it was white originally, the evidence is EVERYWHERE! I guess the story goes lots of 9C1 suspension, clean two door, and a wrecked IROC and it all spiraled from there! It came to me and my dad JUST like that, but all of the serious rust had yet to rear its ugly head. Now the car is just F*&@#D from sitting and so many winters. It HAD to have been parked on the street cus the drivers side is just a mess. The frames solid though scratch Hey whatever that works for me! cheers I'm heading tehre in the morning to gut the interior completely and pull the rad. and shtuff. Then I'll be back once again to do more next week. It's a mix of Fun, sad, and frustration at the damn rust!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:13 am

Hey, she's gonna live on to save her prettier sister. And just think, now you'll be able to drive them both at the same time. :-)

A Toasted Marshmallow, A Long German, A Lame Suburban and expensive dreams...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:13 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Hey, she's gonna live on to save her prettier sister. And just think, now you'll be able to drive them both at the same time. :-)
Like having a car that is Schizophrenic. Razz
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:14 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:

Wink
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:21 am

I guess the cars been named?

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6

Last edited by sdstick on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:40 am

toomanytoyz wrote:

That's what my dad said to me today when he stopped in to see how I was doing. He also said HOLY SH*T! Because the interior was gutted and he saw the floors LOL

IMPALADAKID wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:

LOL I'm not too sure How safe I'd feel...
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:43 am

Just a few more pics taken Saturday, I am going back as soon as I get some Bfast (and it warms a bit)

LOL

Gangsta hood scoops

Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:56 am

Sad, but happy at the same time.

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Sure you dont want to save that body??? Looks Ok... Shocked

You commented on Crovos run of luck.
How bout you with the weather? cheers

Keep up the good work.
Your claiming lots of good parts I'm sure.

(LT1...LT1...LT1...LT1...)

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:23 pm

sdstick wrote:

LT1...LT1...LT1...LT1...
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:37 pm

bowtiepimp wrote:
sdstick wrote:

LT1...LT1...LT1...LT1...

SILENCE!

Got a few more things done today including helping my dad change his starter which kind of ate up daylight but oh well, it threw me back to the old days the two of us messing around with this red caprice.

PRESTO!
Three guys and shes off in one whole piece!

SCORE! Found my patch panels!!! Other side has a little hole but shouldn't be a big deal at all. Arrow

Just for reference...Stock Location:

Bitch Location:

So she's coming apart pretty well, and Steve thanks for jinxing me on the weather thing! JERK! Razz But I have been lucky, hopefully that'll keep up!
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:16 am

So 3/4 of the seats will fit into a cougar with the window down. Hell I may throw them seats in and be Cool Stylin! Razz

The shed is filling up FAST! Shocked I wonder how I'll fit a frame in there (Just Kidding)

I'm banking on nice weather tomorrow and I'll be heading down to mess around a bit. Pull the glass and maybe start cutting/undoing body bolts. Arrow
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:37 pm

The red Girl is DICKED Shes done and in the scrap dumpster. pale pale No No Embarassed

But the frame is CLEAN! And I'm ready to get the white caprice back in shape! Here are some good pics to munch on!

Eat your heart out dave! Silicone is a flooring material now!

The quarter buckled so I didnt bother taking it all. It was my fault it buckled too! UGH! And too much heat cracked the windshield oh well. I think I got plenty other good parts so I'm ok with losing a few.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:38 pm

OOPS Forgot the best shot!

Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:14 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZTR98EU0Ck&list=UUdIxDGj4wxWAVagfaKYDe5A&index=1&feature=plcp
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:19 pm

Looks like some fun! Very Happy Lucky string of weather you've still got going on!

(And that's a Hyundai that I would love to have!)

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:35 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Looks like some fun! Very Happy Lucky string of weather you've still got going on!

(And that's a Hyundai that I would love to have!)

Tell me about it I'd be a fool not to have done this today! Beats the shit out of working!

I would like that Hyundai too, but I would probably paint over it with a big chevy Bow-tie or something Laughing
Back to top Go down
GasTT

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:36 pm

Sad end to that car. Crying or Very sad

But, the white car lives on.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:55 pm

It's sad, but some of the running gear and the frame will be under the white cars body shell, so in effect neither cars are actually going anywhere, just parts are getting thrown away. lol
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:23 pm

LOl at the now go get my chains...
Good job. Where is that?
I saw the rhino shield sign....not in N. Reading was it?
Those tall pines in the background look VERY familiar.
If this was behind Scottys with me 5 minutes down the road from me...
you got so splainin to do... Laughing

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6

Last edited by sdstick on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
95brmw

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:34 pm

Wow, that sure makes my RMW's rust look good Sad But hey, you have a frame, I question how much frame my mess has left. Sad end to the car, looked pretty damn good on the outside, too bad it was hiding all that rot!
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:59 am

GasTT wrote:
Sad end to that car. Crying or Very sad

But, the white car lives on.
I really couldn't believe what I was seeing almost all day long! I hated it but...

Matt Trakker wrote:
It's sad, but some of the running gear and the frame will be under the white cars body shell, so in effect neither cars are actually going anywhere, just parts are getting thrown away. lol

Matt is right! I'm going to swap the 350 over to carb and throw a big cam in it and call it a day! And of course the frame swap Arrow

95brmw wrote:
Wow, that sure makes my RMW's rust look good Sad But hey, you have a frame, I question how much frame my mess has left. Sad end to the car, looked pretty damn good on the outside, too bad it was hiding all that rot!

Well this frame was near mint! Just surface junk! I bet yours is decent but I'm not sure there seems to be a lot more spread out rust on that thing! It really was sad how much rot was in this car but it made cutting it easier to handle

sdstick wrote:
Good job. Where is that?

Hey I DID have to get the chains! That was scary lol! And yes that is Richardsons Garage and the guy who told me to get his chains is Brett Richardson the land owner who rents the garage to Scotty. Sorry I never had a tear down day or anything I sort of did this piece by piece throughout the month of December and I rushed to peel the rest of it apart today because it was so warm out! Perfect for this type of work.

Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:50 am

1984twodoor wrote:
sdstick wrote:
Good job. Where is that?

Hey I DID have to get the chains! That was scary lol! And yes that is Richardsons Garage and the guy who told me to get his chains is Brett Richardson the land owner who rents the garage to Scotty. Sorry I never had a tear down day or anything I sort of did this piece by piece throughout the month of December and I rushed to peel the rest of it apart today because it was so warm out! Perfect for this type of work.

Ya...jk...I thinks its great the weather cooperated.
THAT job can get old REALLY fast in the slop of winter....good job!

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:10 am

sdstick wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
sdstick wrote:
Good job. Where is that?

Ya...jk...I thinks its great the weather cooperated.
THAT job can get old REALLY fast in the slop of winter....good job!

I think its great too! when we were standing looking at the frame all we could think was "I thought we'd have 18 inches of snow and we'd all be bloody right now!" but luckily we weren't bounce rabbit

The frame is going to have to get stuffed in a tarp blanket asap before I can strip it down in the spring to get sand blasted. I think I'll take the motor into the shed and get started working on it in the winter. Anyone want a 700-R4??? It only slips a little!
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:32 am

-
Make sure, if you wrap up that chassis, that it won't collect water/moisture,
-> and that the air inside can breathe to the outside air so that condensation doesn't go to work on your project.
My spare bare rolling chassis sits outside on dry concrete (2 yrs now) with no signs of advancing rust.
It never stays wet for very long. Drip-dry & air-dry after each rain!

BTW, I am following your progress with great interest, GO, GO, GO!

You've heard this before, but as time permits, always do a lot, or even a little bit,
-> and make ANY progress you can, as often as possible in order to beat the #1 PROJECT KILLER. - - - INERTIA!
-
Also, I am still working on a powerful engine combo specifically for you that won't break the bank.
I will provide you with some illustrated options on how best to strengthen your chassis for durability and improved torsional rigidity.
-
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 pm

Machine-De-Zine wrote:
-
Make sure, if you wrap up that chassis, that it won't collect water/moisture,
-> and that the air inside can breathe to the outside air so that condensation doesn't go to work on your project.
My spare bare rolling chassis sits outside on dry concrete (2 yrs now) with no signs of advancing rust.
It never stays wet for very long. Drip-dry & air-dry after each rain!

BTW, I am following your progress with great interest, GO, GO, GO!

You've heard this before, but as time permits, always do a lot, or even a little bit,
-> and make ANY progress you can, as often as possible in order to beat the #1 PROJECT KILLER. - - - INERTIA!
-
Also, I am still working on a powerful engine combo specifically for you that won't break the bank.
I will provide you with some illustrated options on how best to strengthen your chassis for durability and improved torsional rigidity.
-

I've been thinking about how I will be storing it TBH. My only options are outdoors and on dirt/grass Rolling Eyes great right!? I thought about just wrapping it up in a tarp but I don't want it to rust out over the next three months until I send it out to be blasted. I have thought about renting one of those self storage bays but I can't justify the price for it just yet! Maybe once the snow flies! I may have to look into it deeper to find a better deal.

Thank you so much for the interest in it! I'm glad some people think it's cool! Others just ask "Why are you fixing it can't you just get another one?"

I would LOVE the chassis strengthening info! That would be great to hear! and try out I am interested in being able to take it to a few small autocross events and show the vette guys what a big girl can do! Arrow Of course I want to try some suspension fine tuning as well, like what Doug is planning on doing.

Well if you are planning engine combos keep in mind I have my good L89 TPI that I plan on using for now just to keep costs down and drive the car! I plan on switching over to a 383 in the future, but I will most likely always keep the 700R4. I have two of them to build up and one fresh Re-man to use right off the bat.
Back to top Go down
95brmw

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:37 am

[quote="1984twodoorow flies!]

Thank you so much for the interest in it! I'm glad some people think it's cool! Others just ask "Why are you fixing it can't you just get another one?"
[/quote]

Those are usually the ones that don't understand sentimental value and are happy with replacing their "driving appliance" whenever something goes wrong. If something happened to my first RMW I would do any amount of work to fix it. I'm following this build, should be well worth the work once its done!
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:04 pm

95brmw wrote:
[quote="1984twodoorow flies!]

Those are usually the ones that don't understand sentimental value and are happy with replacing their "driving appliance" whenever something goes wrong. If something happened to my first RMW I would do any amount of work to fix it. I'm following this build, should be well worth the work once its done![/quote]

Thanks Dave! Most of these people are the kids who drive hondas and toyotas bought for them by their parents and dont care when they get a scratch or dent or anything. They also have no idea how much trouble I'd have finding another car as clean and original as mine was.
Back to top Go down
nttyfufu

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:57 pm

Whoa When I talked to you at my work I didn't know you were going this far!!! Good stuff man like I said I'm right up the street if you need any help. I looked at that camaro you were talking about earlier with the red stripes. It's one of the Lepores kids cars I think. Good luck with all of it and have some fun that's what it's about.
Back to top Go down
http://s1078.photobucket.com/albums/w495/nttyfufu/
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:50 pm

nttyfufu wrote:
Whoa When I talked to you at my work I didn't know you were going this far!!! Good stuff man like I said I'm right up the street if you need any help. I looked at that camaro you were talking about earlier with the red stripes. It's one of the Lepores kids cars I think. Good luck with all of it and have some fun that's what it's about.

Yeah the frame is pretty beat up so I'm swapping it the eff out! I try and have as much fun as I can doing this project, some of it does get damn frustrating though. You'll get a call when it is time to pull the body off the frame don't worry! That I can assure you. Arrow

That camaro is pretty sweet looking, but I have plenty of projects right now.
Back to top Go down
nttyfufu

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:30 pm

No problem call anytime just let me know early in case I have to take a day off from work or something.
Back to top Go down
nttyfufu

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue May 29, 2012 8:49 pm

WHat's up any thing new with the 2 door?
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Wed May 30, 2012 12:43 am

nttyfufu wrote:
WHat's up any thing new with the 2 door?

A little bit, but still nothing crazy. The frame is coming home Thursday so I can start on that. Then I'm picking up a hoist over the weekend and two engines will be pulled shortly and there will be a lot more progress.

The only two snags are the two fords in the driveway! Cougar needs some sort of tranny work, I'm hoping a fluid/filter change will solve the shuddering and bad shifts that are guaranteed to happen with that transmission, once that is all set I can be confident in spending money on the caprice and not worrying about needing a new car/tranny.

THEN my sisters car needs brakes, parking brake cable, general tune up(sluggish as all hell!) and the best part, a pitman arm....it giggles when you turn the wheel. She never mentioned it until I drove the car... She says it's "been like that for months". Rolling Eyes

I can have some pictures caprice related up this week though! cheers
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:47 pm

Ok so progress is coming along now that I have time to do anything, though this damn rain is killing my vibe! Like a Star @ heaven

BUT I took care of a few things. Mostly just taking apart the engine accessories and getting ready to pull it. Also a few cuts here and there getting rid of a few rusty patches. And of course taking care of this AWFUL floor rust I almost cried when I saw it...

Tears of JOY! cheers Can you agree with me at how AWESOME this looks compared to the red car!? The only rust! And I have since taken care of it!

And I don't have a pic but I did top coat this with white rustoleum and The waterlogged carpet mat stuff wont be headed back in there. Maybe Dynamat? Maybe home depot moving blanket Laughing but not this!

The passenger side is perfect, but I can't get any pics of it, though the entire floor really is beautiful

This section did not exist on the red car...

neither did this one lol

OH And I can't forget that I have the frame home safe and sound! Work begins on that as soon as I set up an easy up in this damn rain or the sun comes out.

Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:50 pm

Kicking butt now! Can't rain forever! It'll let up by the weekend. Arrow
Back to top Go down
GasTT

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:01 pm

Did you grind/sand off the rust before painting over it?
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:57 pm

GasTT wrote:
Did you grind/sand off the rust before painting over it?

I wire wheeled it a little bit and vacuumed the whole side thoroughly but left it like the second pic because they suggest just painting right over rusted metal, but I wanted to clean it a little bit. I basically went enough to scrape up white paint and revel rust and clean that before the POR went down.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:48 pm

Any clues to what caused that? Water getting in maybe?
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:07 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
Any clues to what caused that? Water getting in maybe?

Wet feet and a waterlogged section of that foam pad crap. I've seen it in other cars too. I couldn't find any place for the water to get JUST in the drivers foot area in a car that rarely had passengers. Though it most often transported a black haired dog I found out when I pulled the seats... Laughing
Back to top Go down
nttyfufu

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:02 pm

Maybe it was just a really hairy dude...
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:18 pm

nttyfufu wrote:
Maybe it was just a really hairy dude...

LOL Laughing YUCK I wasn't wearing gloves when I cleaned it up! Did I mention it was under the seat bottom, so thats some nasty arse hairs if that's the case!

More pics to come soon.
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:43 pm

More PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICS cheers
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:52 am

Here are a buncha pics! Lots of codes and numbers for the guys that like that. Anyone wanna tell me what the ones on the rear end mean? Wink

I'll start with the ghetto bracket or the emissions crap

Rear end

I want to find a date on this thing lol

passenger side head, front

passenger side head, rear

Drivers side head, rear

Without all of that wire harness crap it looks badass huh?

But I have to just say...So long pal

Block casting at the rear

trans markings

I didn't break a single one! cheers

Drive shaft is out, rear has a plastic bag, trans has a bag, both ends of the shaft do too

Someone decided to leave a bolt out of the rear scratch

so that's it for today but tomorrow I hope to get some shizz done. I want to pull that engine by next week to get ready to grind/sandblast the frame.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:35 am

I should be asleep so I can wake up for work but I just got all of these pretty pictures online...so now I have to post them here! Get ready for a bunch of them.

Nice clean trunk floor!

It was nice knowing you, but I need to get this body off someday...

Oh, there's the cage for the nut... Nice. Glad that stuck around

Next up! LH # 6

At least part of this cage was still here

bye bye clean trunk floor

And I have spent time marking the wires in the harness and getting them out of the way for when this engine is pulled

Oh and I did manage to find more floor rust! Dammit! Day ruined!

...ok I guess it's not that bad! This came from the bottom up though. Going to have to repair that pronto!
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:01 am

Yep, there is more to come even in one night!

Today was a stupid day. I pulled the motor from the frame, left the tranny connected. I didn't have the right equipment and wasn't prepared...lol oops. But! I had the hoist and a free day and got excited so I rolled them together in the driveway *mistake number 1, I could have just kept it closer to the damn shed!*

I used my emergency tow chain which didn't fit right on the hook so it wasn't making me feel all that comfortable but hey, they seem to say you only live once a lot now, and it's true! At least I'm living past today though! Cool

I got it out and hit a few snags like pinching the oil filter on the motor mount, not a big deal obviously, and then not expecting it to swing around so much, but I managed that. I had the thing out real quick!

Then I rolled the frame out and took in all of it's glory! Ready to be cleaned up! I thought I would have time to start on that today too.

Then my brain caught up with me....IDIOT!

I can barely roll this damn thing across the driveway let alone the SOFT GRASS! scratch

This is when I left the camera on the bench for the next five hours it took to get the engine into the shed...

The tranny came off which helped lighten the load, and i put that in the trunk of the cougar and drove it over to the shed it will live in on a shelf until I need it again. Got a nice interior undercoating job in the trunk of the cougar too!

Back to the problem, i have an engine on a hoist on my lawn with a big puddle of tranny fluid on me and the grass. AND my buddy had to leave for work. I spent an hour looking at it thinking...I am a total newb at this whole engine pulling. And kicked myself for poor planning.

After that I tried a few things. Stupid things haha! I tried an appliance cart...bent it to look like a used twist tie for a loaf of wonder bread. Put it on the movers dolly I wanted to rest it on in the shed, yeah ok buddy! I ate a wheel on that and the bearing for it shot out in glorious fashion. Great, so I spent time stealing a wheel from a different dolly and put it in the shed.

Next up was my favorite. Lower the engine onto a tarp and tie two straps to it and the cougar. I now have four straps. two of them even still have the hooks! but I broke my nice blue tarp silent

So I had a breakthrough! Wrap my tow strap around the hoist and the cougar and pull that across the lawn. HOLY HELL IT WORKED! Then I had to line it up with the door a bit better. YA HOO! then I realized I cant drive through the shed and once again was stuck. I was ten feet from freedom. bounce

My next idea was to lower the engine while pushing it forward, then move the hoist closer to the doorway, then raise the engine, and once again lower and push...for about 45 minutes. I was almost there. This was working too! Awesome. Then a friend stopped by thinking I was done with the project, NOPE! I gave him some shitty clothes and gloves and made him help elephant until we pushed it against the shed, and had no way of getting it in further. back to the drawing board. study

Dismantle the hoist, that's what I said. Then set it up inside the now cleared out shed. Use two 2x6 boards on cinder blocks to support the long legs and raise the engine up. This helps, but now the back of it is picking up my friend (185lbs) and we cant push it backwards. Enter the floor jack! I took the weight off of the hoise so he could pull it in a bit and then finally the engine touched the shed floor! I placed the dolly underneath it and once it was fully in we lowered it down. PERFECT cheers cheers cheers

Finally it was in and we both heave hoe'd it into the corner like I had wanted! We cleaned up all of the tools in the yard and called it a nice mission accomplished!

To deal with the mess of the lawn, I just parked my sisters CV over it LOL I'll have to reseed that area later I guess jocolor

Now before anyone tells me, Yes, I WILL plan it out better when I remove the engine from the white car... I'll eat lunch first! Laughing

Newb story over/
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:36 am

I have used plywood to move a engine crane with engine on it across the grass. Even if you have to cut a 4x8 into 2 4x4s you would be ok. I wish I lived close by. This project would be fun.

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:56 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
I have used plywood to move a engine crane with engine on it across the grass. Even if you have to cut a 4x8 into 2 4x4s you would be ok. I wish I lived close by. This project would be fun.

I thought about it, but I had nothing useable sitting around that I could get to. If I had a truck available to go grab a sheet, I wouldn't have needed it and I would have put the engine in the truck and the hoist in the shed. Problem solved. But of course no one with a pickup was around. This was one of those learning moments.

This project is fun either way! I'm happy I'm going through with it. Though there are guys that live close I forgot to call silent it wont happen again Matt and Dave lol!
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:01 pm

1984twodoor wrote:

I thought about it, but I had nothing useable sitting around that I could get to. If I had a truck available to go grab a sheet, I wouldn't have needed it and I would have put the engine in the truck and the hoist in the shed. Problem solved. But of course no one with a pickup was around. This was one of those learning moments.

This project is fun either way! I'm happy I'm going through with it. Though there are guys that live close I forgot to call silent it wont happen again Matt and Dave lol!
Could you have just laid the motor & trans "sloppy-like" back on top of the chassis, relocated the unloaded cherry-picker into the back of the shed - (facing out), rolled the bare rolling chassis with it's front end nosed into the shed (now with motor & trans along for the ride), and then re-hooked the unit & raised the cherry-picker boom up high, then rolled the motor-less chassis back outside, , , DONE!?
This way you don't have to move the crane anywhere at all with any real weight on it.
Back to top Go down
IMPALADAKID
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Is that TPI engine going in your box? That would be sweet. cheers

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Today at 6:07 pm

Back to top Go down

The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next