BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
boojum

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:17 am

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Interesting on the black stuff. It's silly to think that their attitude was probably " no ones going to see it ".

Good update on the rails. They looked pretty wavy. That LDM l99 was like that from dumbasses jacking it up in the wrong place.

The heat is killer. I feel your pain. I try to work early morning and then aroun 230/300 to 530/600 when it's cooler again.

Get some pice up! Before and afters of the frame would be nice to see. Well, you can just re post the before pic I guess.

Yeah that's exactly what caused this. I plan to re-use the old pics and do the before and after shots. Then after that I can start on the next side! How fun! Rolling Eyes The better news is once we cover rebuilding engines at school, I'm bringing the 350 in cheers PUMPED! She'll be out for next summer! Well...I HOPE she will. I'm not gonna jinx it now!

boojum wrote:

You know Jim, you'd be surprised. The wrenches don't exactly work as well as you would think. I think tomorrow or Monday I'll see about getting cheap huge crescents but they only work well on the lower lip. Maybe a huge one will do the trick though.

I wanted to try a disc brake spreader but I'm fairly certain it'll just brake. I also don't own one, so there was a snag in that plan today.

Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:32 am

Use a 6' long piece of "C" channel and a pair of HD "C"clamps.
The long lever arm can be pryed against the opposite side of the frame.
Be patient, do one spot and move along the frame rail a few inches at a time.
Use a straight edge to keep checking progress.
Always re-clamp at the center of each next high spot.
This process is a fairly common restoration requirement.

Don't forget to check the weld zone connection of the side frame's "C" sections to the front and rear box sections.
This weld joint is a very common failure point on these frames.
Also inspect the entire frame for thinning, cracking and warping.
It'll be way easier to repair if found early on while the frame is bare.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:18 pm

Wow Matt, every time I open this thread, I'm amazed! Smile Nice work!!! Very Happy

And those repair and box plates Steve had made up are most awesome! Smile Way to go!!!

A Toasted Marshmallow, A Long German, A Lame Suburban and expensive dreams...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Wow Matt, every time I open this thread, I'm amazed! Smile Nice work!!! Very Happy

And those repair and box plates Steve had made up are most awesome! Smile Way to go!!!

Thanks Crovo! Once I get the thing straightened fully it'll be painted and everything will look REALLY cool! cheers then I can deal with my rear end situation hmm. Who can build one for me??? Laughing

And Steve did an AWESOME job on the plates. I can't believe how good they've come out. I'm pumped! The end of yhe week should be pretty surprising for you guys to see!
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:51 pm

So today I spent some more time trying to get the bottom of the c-channel part of the frame straight again. The Drivers side was much less cooperative than the pass. side was.... But I made Some progress thankfully. The bottom edge meets the boxing panel in a few sections very well, and not so much in one part in particular. It became hard to bend using the wood as I had done with the other side as the top rail is pretty weak and doesn't hold up to me prying off of it very well. It happens, but I'll have to try some big C clamps or pliers tomorrow. We'll see. anyway here are the pics that I took!

Before:

During LOL:

After:

As you can see, that one spot close to Body mount Pos. #3 is not moving down too much... The frame up top is so damn thin that it just moves and the bottom doesn't budge. I have to ditch this method if I want the right kind of progress. (good kind)

This section I pinched together with the C-Clamp and it worked, but pushed it all out of shape a bit more than I would like. Thankfully this area is getting strengthened in more ways than one, so I won't worry too much.

Again, this section has GOT to come down more before I can just bend the very bottom edge of both pieces up and down for the final fit and finish.

Since I had started this later I had to give it up by 7PM because I don't want the neighbors to completely hate me.

But earlier that day....

I put this on a movers dolly and started to clean it up and try and figure out whats wrong with it. Yes, I said whats wrong with it. AL!? COME IN AL I NEED YOU! Just to tell me whats up with it. Oh, anyone else can help too I guess.

Anyway, the story goes like this. I saw the parting out thread on the big board and I knew that it was sort of a gamble with a car that got hit in the rear, but I asked the seller,who I can surely say is an honest guy not a scummy seller what so ever, if the rear end was damaged. He said he didn't think so as he drove the wrecked car in and out of the garage under its own power. So I made an offer of 250 and went down to snag it last night (an ordeal in itself...). I got there and talked to the guy, really a nice guy! he said if it turned out to be junk or something just tell him and he'd refund me. we shot the s**t and eventually I asked if we could test the posi. He said sure, grabbed a pry bar and then we found out that the RH side, the side of impact, would not spin. We eventually got it to move but damn it was tough! and we had to use the studs to make it move, the pinion wouldn't turn it. I saw a look of "man I feel like an ass now" on his face (he didn't even think to test as the car moved itself in and out, but obviously an LT1 moves it better than a pry bar) So I told him I'd give him a buck for it and hopefully it would work out for me.

Now, I really did that move because it was around 8:00 PM and I had to drive BACK from Weymouth AND put gas in the truck and then drive it back to the kid in Chelmsford who was borrowing it from the guy I borrowed it from in Wilmington...did I mention getting the damn truck was an ordeal? So we loaded it up, I took off, but only kept it at 65 because a straight piped side exit exhaust drone on a friggen Dodge with the signature Dodge JUNK ball joints (serious freakin wobble!) was unbearable at any speed above that. End rant!

Today I had to check it out further, it had been on my mind all night and day so i made room and investigated. The first thing I did was strip the BRAND SPANKIN NEW! Upper and lower cntrl arms off and label them and stash them for safe keeping

He said he did brakes before the crash (3 years ago) and the calipers seem fairly new so I'm confident that I still got my money's worth even if I can't do Shyte with this rear.

Anyway back to the story. I pulled all of that crap off and took that RH caliper off to make sure the brakes didn't have some ungodly kung fu grip on the rotor and I got progress....I guess. I made the studs move in the holes of the rotor enough to click from position to position. So I think it might be a problem with the brakes holding things up making it harder to spin the axle. Then again, I'm TOTALLY fresh with this rear end stuff and don't have a clue. so yeah. Theres that.

anyway, my theory so far is that the backing plate is bent or maybe a bearing got crushed to the point where it can't spin? I have no clue, but I'm a newb so go easy Laughing Here are pics to prove the backing plate theory. LMK what you all think!

RH (bent) side:

LH side:

RH

LH

All RH side, it looks pretty bent to me, but the tube looks fine. If someone tells me what to look for I'll do it and take pics. It isn't URGENT! But it would be nice to know if this is taking up space or is useable/fixable. If it needs to have an axle popped out I'll wait until winter and have the whole shebang BUILT and have no worries. LMK what you think!

Hell maybe the axle itself is bent? IDUNNO! But someone here has got to right? Thanks in advanced guys! Very Happy

EDIT: I forgot I made a video too, maybe it'll help even more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIWJRW8nebM&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:14 am

Pull the rotor off & see what's up in there.

Is the rotor fully seated on the axle flange? (All studs the same height?)

Cuz it can take the position shown in your pics when nothings holding it in place.

E-Brake pads are inside the hub....you know that right?

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:43 am

sdstick wrote:
Pull the rotor off & see what's up in there.

Is the rotor fully seated on the axle flange? (All studs the same height?)

Cuz it can take the position shown in your pics when nothings holding it in place.

E-Brake pads are inside the hub....you know that right?

That's what is up next, I will measure the studs to see if they're different lengths.

Don't forget some of the pics are taken with the caliper tightly installed and pads right up against it and it is in the same position as when the caliper removed.

Caliper on

Caliper off, the studs click in the holes but the rotor had stayed put!

I know that the e-brake pads are inside the hub, but the cable was disconnected last night to ensure that the brake was off. it appears that the lever in the up position (the pos it is in right now) is the off position as the opposite side moves with great ease and the lever is up. (we also tried holding it down, still tough to move, in fact it was tougher seeing as we held the brake on.)

I guess after I lose light tonight I'll do that inside with the light on and see what the deal is.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Today I started out later than I wanted to, but I got around to doing everything that had to be done. First off I headed out back to the frame and got to work. I was thinking of new ways to bend that rail down seeing as the 2x4 method wasn't cutting it (kept bending the top rail instead) so I headed out to see what I could borrow before I gave up on it. I had to deal with one tough part to put back down so I needed something big. I got an array of 4" C-Clamps but they weren't cutting it even put on together. So I used the final clamp I borrowed. Something from the Bronze age I believe, it should have been in an antique store, I'm not sure it's been used in over 20 years before today.

Look at that big b*** on the right! It had a long enough lever to get me the right leverage (go figure) to push that rail down repeatedly in the worst spots

I will say that there is a lot of tension pushing back at you. I used me feet a few times. But it gave me awesome results so I aint complaining!

PUMPED! I got the very edge of it straight with the crescent wrench and it came out ok, I'll do a touchup for the final product. but for now she's good! And now it's ready for the plate to get mounted permanently.

And back to the rear end ish. I started this as I was losing the light, but I was determined so I grabbed the drop light and started investigating. Took the caliper and bracket off and the rotor was still tight, I knew the E-brake shoe was in there and released, but I didn't think of it being stuck or keeping pressure on the rotor. And guess what, it was! And some serious holding power too! So I took the rubber mallet and little pry bar to it and got it started.

certainly was holding it in place!

Then I saw victory!

So I obviously spun it and the posi works! So there was some good news to it all! However, I still believe that the axle is bent or the hub or backing plate is. Something is out of whack when I'm looking at it. Hopefully the pictures can do it justice.

Spun halfway around

Rotor back on and fully seated, no lie

It seems to grind and sort of "hang up" a bit as you spin it around, and definitely moves around as it goes through the circle. Any thoughts? Hub? Axle? Backing plate?

Progress is good cheers
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Ah! Excellent update! You did a number on that frame and it looks great! Waaay better than before.

I hope someone can chime in on the axel problem. I was a wuss and brought my rear to a shop when the spider gear pin snapped. That was before I learned how to rebuild em. But, I've never seen this before.

Keep up the good work Matt!
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm gonna bet the wheel just got whacked and it bent the axle shaft on that side...if the rotor "wobbles" as it turns...definitely no expert here though.

But nice progress eithah way, kehd. You paid a buck for that? Arrow
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Awesome work on the frame! "Experienced" tools FTW! Very Happy

And yeah, I bet the axle shaft is just tweaked. Just get a new one, or good used one and try it out.

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:59 pm

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Ah! Excellent update! You did a number on that frame and it looks great! Waaay better than before.

I hope someone can chime in on the axel problem. I was a wuss and brought my rear to a shop when the spider gear pin snapped. That was before I learned how to rebuild em. But, I've never seen this before.

Keep up the good work Matt!

Thanks Brian, I'm a wuss with the rear ends too. I'll ask the shop teacher tomorrow what he thinks also, and if he says I can bring it in as an after class activity with all the snap on tools my heart desires, you bet your arse I'll do it! Clean it and pop a new shaft in with proper guidance!

Matt Trakker wrote:
I'm gonna bet the wheel just got whacked and it bent the axle shaft on that side...if the rotor "wobbles" as it turns...definitely no expert here though.

But nice progress eithah way, kehd. You paid a buck for that? Arrow

Both of the (mint) rear wheels have big chunks broken off and cracks all over so I'm thinking this is the case. He (car owner) said that he was spun into the curb, so that's gotta be it! (I hope)

Thanks! I'm glad that I'm getting it closer to a rolling frame! And yes I paid a buck, and I'm confident it was the right move now! I'm glad because that was kind of a scary trip to retrieve it! Bad ball joints, straight pipe passing cops, Dodge truck tranny....

toomanytoyz wrote:
Awesome work on the frame! "Experienced" tools FTW! Very Happy

And yeah, I bet the axle shaft is just tweaked. Just get a new one, or good used one and try it out.

Lol, experienced! I'll remember that one! And thank you Prez! rabbit That's be best I can get it to look without some serious tool purchases.

I'm glad the general consensus is that the shaft is bent, that makes me feel pretty comfortable. That being said...

What shafts cross into this or do I need an impy disc rear shaft? Does anyone have a used one forsale on the cheap? Smile
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:38 pm

BIG things are coming. Arrow Stay tuned! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:43 am

You've got me excited (insert bouncing smilie here)
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:53 pm

I am guessing that the housing end may be bent as well (thinnest part of the axle tube where it tapers down). I still have to get out to pick up my spare rear...but once I have it back, I can pull the axle for you and we can start there. If the housing ends up being tweaked, we can swap your guts into my spare housing if you'd like. Let me know and keep me posted.

the frame looks awesome. you are doing a really nice job.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:17 pm

bfurches wrote:
I am guessing that the housing end may be bent as well (thinnest part of the axle tube where it tapers down). I still have to get out to pick up my spare rear...but once I have it back, I can pull the axle for you and we can start there. If the housing ends up being tweaked, we can swap your guts into my spare housing if you'd like. Let me know and keep me posted.

the frame looks awesome. you are doing a really nice job.

I'm kind of hoping that it wont be bent, it doesn't seem like it is. When I pop the backing plate off I'll find out though! Is the spare rear an Impy disc? if not then I don't think it will cross over. If any guts are being taken out, I'll just hold off use a 7.5 as a roller and build another rear using some parts off this one.

Thanks! You'll think it looks even better in a few minutes once the pics are uploaded!
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:51 pm

Today was a HUGE day as far as the project goes. Seriously, this was the turning point. Now I can get it painted next weekend and start assembling soon after! And I've got to say a serious thank you to the new moderator Steve Stickney! If it wasn't for him this frame would still be looking pretty piss poor. He made all of the body mounting pad replacement patches, the two VERY nice plates to tie the C-channel together, arranged for the welding to actually happen, and gave me a big boost in wanting to see this thing get done! So Steve, THANK YOU! Arrow I can't say it enough!

So anyway, now I've got some seriously awesome pictures to show you all of my seriously awesome freakin frame! Too bad the car wont look this good Rolling Eyes

Started off with Steve coming over with his welder, then we mocked a bunch of the pieces up which was the most time consuming part, especially on the C-Channels. After that the sparks were flying. Of course it took hours of working and welding different sections, but it was too busy to be taking that many pictures. But here's what I've got.

I need more clamps in my life, then again, I won't need them for this EVER AGAIN! No more frame offs (for now)

Lets fast forward a bit.

Welds like this classify as porn so yeah, 18+ I guess Laughing

Now the REAL cool part, with my work boots in the shot just for Matt Smith!

Hard to get a full on shot to show it all off, but this is what I got

Cant forget the gap that was AWFUL! Then ok when Steve showed up today, And perfectly mated to the panel when he left!

Also, to install the fuel/brake line access panels on the side that still hadn't had them mounted, I FINALLY got to use this gift from two years ago.

And that's it, sorry if there were any doubles in there, but if you complain then well you just are being foolish! Because its a lot of clicking to upload that many pics here! So I hope you enjoy them, I'm going to get some grub and check back later! LMK what y'all think! Arrow

THANKS AGAIN STEVE!
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:11 pm

Wow! Matt and Steve, you guys did an amazing number on that frame!

What an avalanche of progress. Let's get started on assembling everything now huh? You've got a lot of work ahead still, but you're doing just fine!

Are you sending it to be PC'd?

What are the next steps that your gonna take?

As always, keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Really nice job guys! I am really glad you got the hard stuff knocked out today. Now get that body ready to go! Winter is right around the corner....and I have a feeling this year will be a doozy
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:58 am

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Wow! Matt and Steve, you guys did an amazing number on that frame!

What an avalanche of progress. Let's get started on assembling everything now huh? You've got a lot of work ahead still, but you're doing just fine!

Are you sending it to be PC'd?

What are the next steps that your gonna take?

As always, keep up the good work!

No the frame cooperated pretty well so I don't think I have to send it to jail for the night to be protected. Laughing

Next step is brake clean, degrease, pressure wash, desgrease, rinse, scuff like a mofo, degrease one final time and then prep for SEM Rust Shield. THEN I put the front end together. I plan on working out the whole rear end issue during the night time in the tent once I get suitable saw horses or tall stands to have a good work area. Hopefully I put it all back together the right way! Embarassed

bfurches wrote:
Really nice job guys! I am really glad you got the hard stuff knocked out today. Now get that body ready to go! Winter is right around the corner....and I have a feeling this year will be a doozy

Yeah supposedly it will be record snow fall...Awesome.... Me three years ago would be pumped, but me with all of my money and serious time in labor under a tent....not pumped. It better hold up! If all goes well, the frame will be under the body by the end of Nov. I'm doing some serious prayer dances and stuff it'll happen!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:13 am

I think it's pretty amazing that the one pic you got of Steve, he appears to be working! Wink

Awesome work, guys. You must be totally stoked! lol!

When are you building the rotisserie? Razz

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:00 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
I think it's pretty amazing that the one pic you got of Steve shows that ever expanding bald spot,......... Razz

Fixt... Crying or Very sad... Smile

BTW....pointing & instructing FTW Cool

Matt,
I suggest...
Take your sander to the entire frame w/ 80 grit, power wash, wipe everything with lacquer thinner & coat it
This will still take you a day...but your way will take you forever...I think you'll get the same results.

Uummm....& be careful of the area your working....with all the fluids you've been using it lights up like a Tiki torch Laughing

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:54 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
I think it's pretty amazing that the one pic you got of Steve, he appears to be working! Wink

Awesome work, guys. You must be totally stoked! lol!

When are you building the rotisserie? Razz

NEVER! The two post body lift with a chain fall maybe...not sure yet, probably not though. $$$ And I AM stoked! cheers

sdstick wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:
I think it's pretty amazing that the one pic you got of Steve shows that ever expanding bald spot,......... Razz

Fixt... Crying or Very sad... Smile

BTW....pointing & instructing FTW Cool

Matt,
I suggest...
Take your sander to the entire frame w/ 80 grit, power wash, wipe everything with lacquer thinner & coat it
This will still take you a day...but your way will take you forever...I think you'll get the same results.

Uummm....& be careful of the area your working....with all the fluids you've been using it lights up like a Tiki torch Laughing

I'll do the sander and lacquer thinner, but there's a lot of WD in there still. I have a few nights where I can't be doing anything too crazy in between now and Sat. morning when I paint. So the degreasing will start during the week and today. Scuffing on friday. The rest on Saturday and Sunday. It's gotta get done so that's the plan. Weather BETTER cooperate.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:07 pm

Looks great! Those pieces look like they were meant to be there. I think I'm going to have to start taking pictures with my workboots showing in the pic just to show up Matt's progress though. lol

Get that paint on there! This just reminded me I STILL have to get my snowblower fixed!
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
Looks great! Those pieces look like they were meant to be there. I think I'm going to have to start taking pictures with my workboots showing in the pic just to show up Matt's progress though. lol

Get that paint on there! This just reminded me I STILL have to get my snowblower fixed!

LOL yeah you might want to do that. record snowfall Mad Matt do you have a problem with my boots? Suspect They were made for walking.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:28 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:

LOL yeah you might want to do that. record snowfall Mad Matt do you have a problem with my boots? Suspect They were made for walking.

LOL

Yeah I just have to find a place to take it, I tried fixing it myself but I think there's some electrical anomaly that's keeping it from firing up. I should have it gone through anyway, used it for 2 seasons since I've owned it and all I did was the plug and the oil...
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
Matt Trakker wrote:

LOL

Yeah I just have to find a place to take it, I tried fixing it myself but I think there's some electrical anomaly that's keeping it from firing up. I should have it gone through anyway, used it for 2 seasons since I've owned it and all I did was the plug and the oil...

I was hoping you'd get that. Razz Probably not a bad idea to have a small engine guy get it running and go over it. When you get it back hit it with some fresh Airen's orange or something just to make it look really pretty and stuff. Laughing
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:11 am

I just typed a long post, then lost it because i clicked the wrong thing. Evil or Very Mad

Updated:

Ok, so I'm going to try to post again and not lose it.

This week has been odd doing all of the work but I got a bunch done. My grandmother was in the hospital on Wednesday with a pretty bad looking outcome. My father has been going to and from the cape where she is all week and she only had a worse condition each time. I called her on Friday hoping she was doing better but she didn't sound good on the phone and couldn't talk very long. Though the first thing she asked me was if I was fixing the cars. I said yes, and that was about it before she said she had to go. Last conversation we had. She passed a little after midnight, my father thought it was funny that she made it to her 56th wedding anniversary then gave it up a few minutes later.

The good news to the sad story is she went peacefully. Now I don't want to make this a tear-jerking build thread but she did ask me if I was fixing the cars and fix the cars I'm gonna do! She wouldn't have wanted me to lose all of my motivation and just be a sad lump on the couch. So I took a therapeutic approach to today's news and got to working on the frame today and got it covered in a first coat of SEM Rust shield with the hardener/gloss enhancer.

To start the picture attack, I'll bring it back to Friday when i got out of class, and degreased and pressure washed the frame of all of that WD-40 rust prevention I had on there.

Last edited by 1984twodoor on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:47 pm

As you can see, that frame cleans up really good! Cool Much better than the mess it was when I had it home first. But of course there is a catch, always a catch! I ran out of time. It was going to be too cold to paint within an hour and I still wasn't done... Not to mention that rain was coming that night. So I did this, with my mom's approval and everything she even suggested it, set up this tent around the frame. Yes, a second 20' long tent at the house. It's friggen tent city in this b****!

This isn't permanent, it will be up until the frame is on all fours, then it's time to put it under the body! If not, it will still be taken down and the frame put away in dry storage for the winter, but I'd like to avoid that.

Anyway, back to today. Pretty upset and late by the time I got out there at like 1:00 PM. But I had to do something or else I would just dwell on nothing but bad thoughts. So I got everything set up and ground the frame to bare metal in the back where I needed to finish and brushed over the rest of it again. It really does clean up nicely!

Last edited by 1984twodoor on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:59 pm

continued...

Then of course came time for paint. After I wiped the whole shebang down with laquer thinner, I had my first experience with the stinky and powerful SEM Rust Shield. This stuff is tough! It melted my mixing cup while it was on the table and i know that my plastic table will NEVER rust.....yeah whole thing is covered!

Anyway after the shock of how powerful it is I mixed up a batch of it and put the roller to work. I'm glad I got the anti-shed roller so that wouldn't get eaten halfway through either.

anyway, the stuff went on like mud, much like what the guy who sold it to me said it would be like. But who the eff cares that's what I want, rust protection! And the good thing is that it's finally going on!

blurry action shot

The bottom hasn't been touched yet, that's for after the top three sides are fully completed. Next coat will happen when it happens, I have to wait until Tuesday, but I'm anticipating a pretty hectic week due to this mornings events. But she would want me to get it done, so I'll be doing it for her! Rest in peace Nana!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:31 pm

That looks awesome, man! Very Happy

And, sorry to hear about your Nana. Sad

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:51 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
That looks awesome, man! Very Happy

And, sorry to hear about your Nana. Sad

Thanks Crovo,

It's hard at first but it wasn't sudden, she had been having health issues all summer and the trip to the hospital Wednesday was that "brace for impact" moment that makes it a bit easier to take after it happened. But its still nothing you get over easily so thanks again for the kind words.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:15 am

Sorry to hear Matt
Keep the good thoughts

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
GasTT

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:10 am

Sorry to hear about that Matt.. but, atleast you are keeping your head up and making progress on your project. The frame looks excellent! Any thoughts if you will do anything to the inside of the frame? A guy I know used a huge straw and some spray paint to give the inside a coat of something.
Back to top Go down
mp775

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:17 am

My condolences, Matt. It's great that she inspired you to get it done Smile.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks for all of the kind words guys, it means a lot. It sank in more today than yesterday, though the wake will really be the hard part I think.

sdstick wrote:
Sorry to hear Matt
Keep the good thoughts

GasTT wrote:
Sorry to hear about that Matt.. but, atleast you are keeping your head up and making progress on your project. The frame looks excellent! Any thoughts if you will do anything to the inside of the frame? A guy I know used a huge straw and some spray paint to give the inside a coat of something.

I've thought about the clean unused straw from a PB Blaster/brake clean can but haven't gotten that far yet. So I'll start taking suggestions like Tim has given me above.

mp775 wrote:
My condolences, Matt. It's great that she inspired you to get it done Smile.

I know she would have wanted me to keep going. She asked about it every time I spoke with her. My grampa restored a 65 mustang himself recently so she knows it can be a drag and make you lose motivation if anything happens in life to slow you down.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:54 pm

Matt, very sorry for your loss. That's great she's motivated you to keep plugging along on this. When it's all done you can remember her that way too.

Where did you wind up getting the SEM from? That place in Wilmington on Route 38? It looks great!
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:57 pm

Sorry for your loss.

You're going to wish you had a rotisserie when you SEM the floor plans.
And a can of silver for the heat shields.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:07 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
Matt, very sorry for your loss. That's great she's motivated you to keep plugging along on this. When it's all done you can remember her that way too.

Where did you wind up getting the SEM from? That place in Wilmington on Route 38? It looks great!

Thank you Matt,

That's exactly where I got it from. ABSAP (Auto Body Supplies And Paint) cleaver name.

boojum wrote:
Sorry for your loss.

You're going to wish you had a rotisserie when you SEM the floor plans.
And a can of silver for the heat shields.

Thank you Jim,

And I plan on wearing a full plastic painters suit....but I might want to wear two of them for extra protection. Any tips on a top coat for the SEM with gloss enhancer?
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:18 am

I started wearing a face shield after getting some drops on my glasses.

As far as I know any enamel paint for a top coat but you might not need it. There are at least a couple folks on the HAMB that used SEM as body paint (they said it sucked to sand off later). I didn't top coat anything that I've done yet and don't intend to for any future jobs. I'd go with at least two coats of SEM. With the stuff that I've done you can see tiny brown spots where there wasn't complete coverage. Here I got this from SEMs webface FAQ page:
What is the difference between Rust Shield, Rust Mort and Rust Seal?

The main difference between Rust Mort and Rust Seal is that Rust Mort must be top coated and Rust Seal may be left exposed. Both will neutralize and convert the rust to a permanent protective coating. Rust Shield is a rust and corrosion control coating available in 14 different colors that can be intermixed. Rust Shield may be brushed, rolled, or sprayed. 38008 Hardener and Gloss Enhancer may be added to Rust Shield to increase the durability and add gloss.

* I painted the frame of my vehicle with Rust Shield and now I want to top coat it. How long do I need to wait?

While we don’t recommend this practice, as long as Rust Shield has fully cured (7 days minimum), it can be sanded and top coated. If the hardener has been added to the Rust Shield, it cures quicker and may be sanded and top coated the next day. Again, we discourage sanding and top coating Rust Shield as it is a finish coat and not a primer. If you have already applied the Rust Shield and intend on painting over, it must be fully cured and it isn’t recommended.

Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:15 am

Now you gotta get a little trophy plaque made up with an engraving like: For Nana. For supplying constant motivation rest in peace. And bolt it to the frame someplace outta sight.

Sorry to hear of your loss.....

Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:18 pm

boojum wrote:
I started wearing a face shield after getting some drops on my glasses.

As far as I know any enamel paint for a top coat but you might not need it. There are at least a couple folks on the HAMB that used SEM as body paint (they said it sucked to sand off later). I didn't top coat anything that I've done yet and don't intend to for any future jobs. I'd go with at least two coats of SEM. With the stuff that I've done you can see tiny brown spots where there wasn't complete coverage. Here I got this from SEMs webface FAQ page:
What is the difference between Rust Shield, Rust Mort and Rust Seal?

The main difference between Rust Mort and Rust Seal is that Rust Mort must be top coated and Rust Seal may be left exposed. Both will neutralize and convert the rust to a permanent protective coating. Rust Shield is a rust and corrosion control coating available in 14 different colors that can be intermixed. Rust Shield may be brushed, rolled, or sprayed. 38008 Hardener and Gloss Enhancer may be added to Rust Shield to increase the durability and add gloss.

* I painted the frame of my vehicle with Rust Shield and now I want to top coat it. How long do I need to wait?

While we don’t recommend this practice, as long as Rust Shield has fully cured (7 days minimum), it can be sanded and top coated. If the hardener has been added to the Rust Shield, it cures quicker and may be sanded and top coated the next day. Again, we discourage sanding and top coating Rust Shield as it is a finish coat and not a primer. If you have already applied the Rust Shield and intend on painting over, it must be fully cured and it isn’t recommended.

Not recommended is all I need to hear, I guess I wont be top coating it at all. I'm thinking three coats for the areas I wont get to again, such as the stuff I've already painted, and then for the bottom I'll be content with two, three if I already have extra paint. I'm not sure I'll get to do the bottom of the car for a while. Most important task is getting the frame painted and completed then under the body.

Ironfistdog wrote:
Now you gotta get a little trophy plaque made up with an engraving like: For Nana. For supplying constant motivation rest in peace. And bolt it to the frame someplace outta sight.

Sorry to hear of your loss.....

I was thinking of some kind of engraving or something like that, maybe a sway bar painted on tribute or something.
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Extremely sorry about Nans.....I would have said something in the text, but just saw this post.

On a happier note, you are really doing an amazing job man! I can't believe how nice the frame is looking. My only question with the SEM, is....does the stuff lay flat like rustoleum when it cures or does it keep the textured appearance? Just curious!

Thanks for sharing all your progress, the build is looking awesome!
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Still doing a great job Matt! I'm glad you took the route to box up the frame and coat it. Do it right, do it once.

I am sorry to hear of the bad news however. She is in a better place now. This is now your dedication to her memory. If that doesn't put more stress on the build, then I don't know what would. I hope to see more progress soon!
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:12 pm

bfurches wrote:
Extremely sorry about Nans.....I would have said something in the text, but just saw this post.

On a happier note, you are really doing an amazing job man! I can't believe how nice the frame is looking. My only question with the SEM, is....does the stuff lay flat like rustoleum when it cures or does it keep the textured appearance? Just curious!

Thanks for sharing all your progress, the build is looking awesome!

Thanks Brandon,

I'll try and snap a pic tomorrow of how it is while it's almost cured. IIRC from the other night when I peaked at it it still had the texture. I'm not really concerned with that, but rather that rust wont come back. I'll use roofing tar if I have to because I hate rust! I'm sure if you were to spray it in a big nozzle gun it would go flat, not really sure though.

MASShole9C1 wrote:
Still doing a great job Matt! I'm glad you took the route to box up the frame and coat it. Do it right, do it once.

I am sorry to hear of the bad news however. She is in a better place now. This is now your dedication to her memory. If that doesn't put more stress on the build, then I don't know what would. I hope to see more progress soon!

Yeah stress is always there but this certainly brought some more. I'm all about getting this done once the right way for sure. Caprice's always relate directly to her memory, but this one certainly will even more.

I'm going to be on the hunt for a pic of her 89 sedan.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:38 pm

Tonight was the wake, very emotional and sad to see. But there was a beautiful picture slideshow playing on loop in the back corner of the room. Sure enough as I'm watching it go past I see a pic of my Gramp snow blowing the driveway and the 89 Caprice recognizable to only me through a bunch of snow packed onto the grill and hood! I just thought that was funny.

Thanks to all of you guys for being a second car family, your kind words posted above really did help. She will be missed, but I know she's watching. And once the car is rolling again she'll be in it protecting me from red light runners!

Thanks again guys! It means a lot.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Second coat of SEM on this nice day : CHECK! Arrow Cool
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:56 am

I went window shopping for you:

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

I don't know anything about the product. I just came across it while doing an unrelated search.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:26 am

boojum wrote:
I went window shopping for you:

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

I don't know anything about the product. I just came across it while doing an unrelated search.

You're an amazing salesman Jim, that stuff looks great for me! The only problem is the price and how many cans I'll be needing pale
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!    Today at 5:12 am

Back to top Go down

The Official 1987 Two Door Body Off RE-build Thread!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next