BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay

Go down 
+9
Machine-De-Zine
mega
boojum
1984twodoor
toomanytoyz
bowtiepimp
silverfox103
waynes91
Matt Trakker
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay Empty
PostSubject: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 4:06 pm

http://monumenticus.imgur.com/rollon_paint_job#BRuqf

Came out pretty nice. I read a few threads a long time ago where people were using Tremclad (like Canadian Rustoleum I guess) doing it the same way.
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 12:21 am

im going to do it on my beater black cavalier, a guy i work with did his 41 caddy limousine, u talk about one big car turn out nice
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 7:43 am

Al "V8 Killer", I think, painted his caprice with Rustoleum. I think he may have sprayed it. It looked like a million bucks.

Tom. C.
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 5:30 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
Al "V8 Killer", I think, painted his caprice with Rustoleum. I think he may have sprayed it. It looked like a million bucks.

Tom. C.

yup he did and it came out awesome, better than Maaco!...... Mr. Crovo just did his truck with it too.
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 5:37 pm

i heard the home depot has a line of metallic rustoleum paint you can paint the car the same way, havent checked that out yet, will post pic during the roller derby
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 6:40 pm

waynes91 wrote:
i heard the home depot has a line of metallic rustoleum paint you can paint the car the same way, havent checked that out yet, will post pic during the roller derby

..... they have an extensive color selection...... walmart will only have so much..... check with your local auto body supply store.

Ive seen , black , grey, silver, dk blue, lite blue, red, yellow, green, orange, etc etc etc
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyFri Jul 08, 2011 10:43 pm

waynes91 wrote:
im going to do it on my beater black cavalier, a guy i work with did his 41 caddy limousine, u talk about one big car turn out nice
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

That's one of the threads I read, took forever!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 7:58 am

Why roll it when spraying it is so much easier and faster?
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 9:19 am

toomanytoyz wrote:

pretty sure we went over this before in another thread Bill....... we can only led the horse's to the water...
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 10:23 am

bowtiepimp wrote:
toomanytoyz wrote:

pretty sure we went over this before in another thread Bill....... we can only led the horse's to the water...

cus its more redneck to roll on house paint! rabbit
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 12:08 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

just to be different, beside on the cavalier should take very little time,im not set up for spraying, and rattle cans would cost to much compared to a qt of paint and thinner imo and its only a beater
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 12:44 pm

Well i have a whopping 14 bucks invested in the paint for my s10. And shot it with a 10 dollah harbor freight gun... Smile
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 2:22 pm

FWIW, the Rustoleum in the spray cans and the stuff in the big paint cans are different formulations, and most people don't have a gun or an ayahhh compressah available to shoot with, lol
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 7:19 pm

just painted my son's bike with a spray can of white primer from rustoleum ........ FAIL!

..... the spray tip is wider,so the overspray is ridiculous ...... and even after shaking the can for over 5 mins it still came out chunky and the consistency was horrible.... it got thin then thick, thin again, clog, then it spit chunks and came out heavy.

........ i wasnt planning on sanding the primer but the shitty rustoleum made this thing run like jesse owens

............ good luck to the rest of you. Take Bill's advice by the gun, get the right paint and learn...... its very rewarding Laughing
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 10:36 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

It's a Zen thing.

No need to mask the whole car, you can just do a section at time.

The roll on paint comes in gloss black. Smile
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Bah... gloss is fir sissies... Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 1:54 pm

This reminds me. I have to get some paint and spray the blazer satin black.
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay SSPX0541
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 7:49 pm

got the caviler and sanded down and taped off, just waiting for a few days with out rain will post pics if my camera dont f up
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 5:40 am

ok i been thinking of doing thid paint job. I know to thin the paint and shoot it, but has anyone used japan drier? u take 4 oz per gallon of rustolium and speeds the fry time. just wanted to know if its worth getting.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-England-Caprice-Impala-SS/1082
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 10:12 pm

put the first coat on had lots of bubbles most flatten out, realized when they said mix thinner so its watery, i guess there watery and mine were different,lol knowing this the mix was still to thick i added more thinner ,still wasnt happy, i use a foam brush that took care of the bubbles on the remaining part i did, tomorrow if time allows ill d some sanding, no big deal, still a learning curve
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 11:28 pm

waynes91 wrote:
put the first coat on had lots of bubbles most flatten out, realized when they said mix thinner so its watery, i guess there watery and mine were different,lol knowing this the mix was still to thick i added more thinner ,still wasnt happy, i use a foam brush that took care of the bubbles on the remaining part i did, tomorrow if time allows ill d some sanding, no big deal, still a learning curve
I am sure you don't want painted finger prints on your camera, but this would be very cool to follow along pictorially.
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 9:48 pm

hey all this talk about paint ive never changed colors before, and what do you do in terms of rmv insurance, do you just call insurance or do you have to go to rmv
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 9:56 pm

heres what i stated with
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0664
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0667

after a quick sanding

Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0684
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0678

the first 3 coats of paint
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0696
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0697
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0702

resanded with 800 afterward i did another 3 coats of black which turned out like the above pics.
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0706

today i sanded some of it down with 1000, i tried using an orbital polisher but didnt seem to work well, so i used my angle polisher, problem there was i had only polishing pads, it was working but not good, i jury rigged a white buffing pad to it, ah that did the trick, so i stopped cause i couldnt find any 7 in buffing pads and it was late so ill find them monday, but the small spot i did i was impressed looks like it might work ..lol
Back to top Go down
chapel

chapel

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 9:25 am

and this is with a roller?

can't wait to see how this works. I've seen it before, but I've heard it's a pain in the ass to do (though not as bad as spraying with a can
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 6:54 pm

yeah a royal pia..never do it again... but cant go wrong with about $30 investment, time consuming yes, could of done a better prep .. yes.. but its a beater so i didnt care, im looking for some 7" buffing pads, not a damn store around here has them, they got polishing pads but no buffing, i can get from grainger but i have a few more places to call will post when done Smile
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 7:37 pm

idk if there is a Benny's in yourt area but the one here has 7 in ones as well as home depot. also i belive sears has em.
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 9:10 pm

how long was the dry time?
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 9:38 pm

mega wrote:
idk if there is a Benny's in yourt area but the one here has 7 in ones as well as home depot. also i belive sears has em.

tried the local hardware stores, advance auto, bumper to bumper, azone, sears, home depot benny's ocean state job lot.. even called a auto paint place, nope, so i order some from grainger should be here tomorrow, it took me about a 1-1/2 hrs to do the car, by the time i got around to where i started it was pretty much ready for another coat, but i took breaks to play with the dogs, pee break and water intake etc , now i hope to get a window to finish it up b4 the hurricane weather hits,extended forecast for next week sucks too:(
Back to top Go down
mega

mega

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 11:28 pm

damn after 3 stores i woulda just bought a new one lol. i hope we do get that hurricane, i need some extra work.how long was the car down to paint?
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 10:45 am

waynes91 wrote:

resanded with 800 afterward i did another 3 coats of black which turned out like the above pics.
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0706

today i sanded some of it down with 1000, i tried using an orbital polisher but didnt seem to work well, so i used my angle polisher, problem there was i had only polishing pads, it was working but not good, i jury rigged a white buffing pad to it, ah that did the trick, so i stopped cause i couldnt find any 7 in buffing pads and it was late so ill find them monday, but the small spot i did i was impressed looks like it might work ..lol

Looks a hell of a lot better than peeling clear coat. And Holy crap! I'm not the only one from CT here!!!
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 10:52 pm

got the pads from grainger, did the trick,started to but some wax on it but got to dark, the mosquito were eating me alive,hopefully weather will hold out tomorrow, 95brmw what part of ct,
Back to top Go down
95brmw

95brmw

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 11:14 pm

waynes91 wrote:
got the pads from grainger, did the trick,started to but some wax on it but got to dark, the mosquito were eating me alive,hopefully weather will hold out tomorrow, 95brmw what part of ct,

I'm in Trumbull, right outside of Bridgeport. Where are you from?
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 9:44 pm

[quote="95brmw"]

I'm in Trumbull, right outside of Bridgeport. Where are you from?[/quote]

im in groton "submarine capital of the world" or " viagra capital of the world" scene Pfizer is basically in my back yard lol
Back to top Go down
waynes91

waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 9:58 pm

well finally got around to finishing her off got her waxed up and tape is off, threw some new wheel covers on

so went from this
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0665

to this
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0762
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0752
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0755
still need to put the bowtie on
Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay HPIM0761
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 10:33 pm

That came out unreal!
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 1:05 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
That came out unreal!

X2! looks damn good!
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 8:53 am

wow! .... not bad at all. Arrow

..... but why not paint the bumpers scratch
Back to top Go down
LiveFreeorDieTryin

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 9:43 am

pant never sticks to the cavy bumpers no matter what you do! The car looks great, good job!!!
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp

bowtiepimp

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 4:44 pm

LiveFreeorDieTryin wrote:
pant never sticks to the cavy bumpers no matter what you do!

.... ADHESION PROMOTER! ...... yes.... it does work. You have to prep them right , but it does work. Arrow
Back to top Go down
MASShole9C1

MASShole9C1

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Wow, what a difference! looks great, good job!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay   Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay Empty

Back to top Go down

Roll-on Rustoleum paint job photo essay
Page 1 of 1