BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Shaddapayaface Crovo! Laughing

Here's a teaser...I shouted several colorful and profane terms trying to get the leather over the new foam...

Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:16 am

Befoah:

New GM seat foam and leather section

Haha, wtf?

Got this too:

When I took the seat out of the truck, I did this:

The bottom of the seat, all the mechanisms, motors, and linkages were caked with hair, lint, food, cheese curl residue, and some sort of greasy substance that I do not believe was put there at the time of manufacture for preservatory purposes...it looked like part of a haunted house display under there. This was after I cleaned it.

Ton of connectors compared to my '93

Peeled off the seat heating pad and glued it to the new foam, this is the old foam

Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:22 am

Continued...

This was tricky to get over the new foam without slitting my wrists, ruining the new material, and keeping it wrinkle free...but it worked...

New switch panel

Installed and done! And don't take my friggin' apple!

Oh, also went all OCD cleaning all underneath and around where the seat goes before I put it back in the truck, did that before I even tore into the seat itself actually. I couldn't believe how much of a mess it was under there, but there's not a lot of room with the seat bolted in so it's not easy to clean under there, let alone see the spot.

I have to say, if you need to do this, DO IT NOW. It's ridiculous how satisfying sitting in the new seat is, it's like driving a new truck now. I actually feel like I sit higher than before too. Quoth George Costanza: "I feel like a gargoyle perched on the side of a building"...

It was definitely a worthwhile investment, for sure. Thanks again to Mike/"mikiehews" for helping get all the parts together!

I think I should investigate the brakes next...don't want my "new" rotors to get messed up...
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:38 am

Wow...yup.....like new.. Arrow

I can understand you being satisfied with this repair...

Not only a visual but a seat of the pants improvement!!

That Tahoe is getting more & more desireable...

I'll just call dibs now. Cool

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am

Damn dude, wanna do mine? I got 2 that need to be done. lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:17 pm

No Moa wrote:

Maybe he'll trade service's for CAH PAHHTS! KEHD!

Looks sweet Matt, don't let it get like the old one. I doubt you would though Laughing
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:49 pm

sdstick wrote:
Wow...yup.....like new.. Arrow

I can understand you being satisfied with this repair...

Not only a visual but a seat of the pants improvement!!

That Tahoe is getting more & more desireable...

I'll just call dibs now. Cool

Of course you'd call dibs, it's all black! lol

Remember I was showing you the ripped seat and how pissed I was about it? I have to say, you don't realize how bad it is until AFTER it's been replaced!

I know the truck will never be perfect but I want to have the option of keeping it for a very long time if I have to (like that Suburban with 428K I posted from CL), and being proud to own it. If it's not going to nickel and dime me then I don't mind doing things like this... Smile
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:51 pm

No Moa wrote:

1984twodoor wrote:
No Moa wrote:

Maybe he'll trade service's for CAH PAHHTS! KEHD!

Looks sweet Matt, don't let it get like the old one. I doubt you would though Laughing

Hahaha, who knows, maybe that could be arranged Glen...LOL

And no, this is not getting trashed. Today I was afraid I was going to wreck the seat on the way home from work, I think I'm going to leave a crappy but not dirty T-shirt in there that I can put over the seat if I have to, or a blanket or something. The thing that sucks is this seat now makes the other seats look slightly worn in comparison... geek
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Way to go, man! I have to do that to mine, too. Very Happy

And it's kinda like shoving 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag, huh? Razz

A Toasted Marshmallow, A Long German, A Lame Suburban and expensive dreams...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Yes, moreso if the aforementioned shit contained about fifteen 4 decade old and rusted Gillette razorblades for one of those old school shaving razors! The metal in the seat is sharp! Laughing

Thanks dude! Thanks everyone for the kind comments also, that makes me feel proud about trying to fix something and not messing it all up for once... Smile

Right now I was messing with the ignition wiring issue- something is loose between the ignition key cylinder and the big connector under the dashboard where all the wires go into. I just undid all sorts of nasty elect. tape that made my hands black, still can't seem to figure out which wire is the culprit so I guess I'll have to take the column plastics off tomorrow. Right now I just have that knee bolster thing under the inst. cluster off. I thought I fixed this last time I had it apart when I found a hook-loop thing (not velcro) undone that the harness clips into. Problem went away until a couple months ago. Now by experimental tugging (huh huh huh) it seems something up towards the key is loose...stay tuned...

Oh, and the problem with the truck is if you tilt the wheel all the way up, therefore disturbing the wiring in the column, the truck dies!
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:17 pm

Unless you're one of those people (my sister) who likes to drive their car like it's a school bus then it shouldn't be the BIGGEST issue with the truck Laughing

And hey, you can always replace ALL of the seats if it bothers you that much
Back to top Go down
mikiehews

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:12 pm

looks pissa Matt!
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:38 pm

Thank you sir!

I fixed the steering column wire issue- found that the plug with all the pins that go right into the ignition lock cylinder switch had its locking tab broken/missing. Once I pushed it all the way in, I could tilt the wheel all the way up or down with nothing happening at all. Put some super glue on the plug and pushed it back in, I figure if it ever has to come out it can just be popped with a screwdriver.. Smile

Started getting stuff ready for changing my steering wheel while I was at it too... Wink
Back to top Go down
Mr. BBQ

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:04 am

NICE HOE! Very Happy

Looks real clean bud, you take good care of it. Arrow
Back to top Go down
96Brougham

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:57 pm

Hey Matt, are those just Denali taillights? My brother wants to pick up a pair for his 03 Yukon, whered you get yours?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Hey, so where'd you get the foam and cover, anyways? I didn't re-read it, so if you said it before, I'm sorry... Wink

But I need to do the lower in the slut. The foam and cover are trashed. I'm tired of sitting on the side of a hill leaning towards the door when I drive it... Wink

A Toasted Marshmallow, A Long German, A Lame Suburban and expensive dreams...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Paul- the lights are just 04+ lights, those ones have the black border around them. I don't really like the older ones with the dark red, on the black trucks anyway, I think it sets them off... Smile . My older looking ones kept getting all dull so I replaced them. I don't really like any of the aftermarket tails either, my favorites are the black border stock ones like this, even with the amber turn signals. I got them off of eBay for a pretty good price, they also came with extra bulb connector things on the backs, and were in excellent shape!

Bill, I got all this stuff from Mike (mikiehews) who is a pahts manager. Great guy and was a huge help with this. You can get aftermarket covers at sites like The Seat Shop but they charge a lot more for the foam and I think the cover is even more as well. If you can't get the 02 and back style from GM anymore though, that place is an option.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.   Today at 4:58 pm

Back to top Go down

My Z71 Tahoe thread...build thread...um, "having a truck and not doing anything" thread..I dunno.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2