BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 1 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» Charcoal gray Bonneville seats
Yesterday at 7:14 pm by Matt Trakker

» Tee shirts and shit for the roundup?
Yesterday at 9:24 am by MalibuSSwagon

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:52 am by silverfox103

» 95 9C1
Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:45 pm by Matt Trakker

» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:07 pm by MASShole9C1

» For all B-bodies
Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:59 am by sdstick

» 1994 Roadmaster sedan
Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:41 am by MASShole9C1

» 96 SS Part out
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:20 pm by 95brmw

» 1996 Caprice Part out
Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:36 am by Tomz9C1

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

Made in the USA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pooge

PostSubject: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:54 pm

So the topic called "Brand Loyalty" got me thinking...so I took a stock of everything I could think of off the top of my head at work.... it was an interesting learning experience.

While I am not 100% all-American in what I buy, now that I am somewhat established in life, I do my best to buy American assuming the American company has a similar quality product that will not cost me significantly more down the road. I also realize it is nearly impossible to buy anything that is 100% American made anymore, but I try.

Edit: Once I started listing things it really got me thinking about it...so the list got long...

Basically...
-About 90% of anything that cost over $1000 is American made in/around my house (2 exceptions being my wife's Subaru and my Honda generator)
-About 80% of anything that cost more than $500
-Around 50% of anything that cost over $100
Anything under that is a real crap shoot and the average likely goes way down from there.

It was cool to sit down and think about it... I'm sure most of the little crap is foreign, but I am going to try to make an effort to get more and more American stuff.

It was also impressive to finally understand were all the damn money I have made in my life has gone...no wonder I don't have nearly enough in savings...I have so much crap!

Doug

P.S. I was appalled to learn that Carhartt is no longer all made in the USA, needless to say I will be looking for good quality jeans elsewhere before buying them again. FYI: Their website is FULL of comments from people very annoyed to learn they are no longer US made and who claim to never purchase them again...WOW

Last edited by Pooge on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Pooge wrote:
So the topic called "Brand Loyalty" got me thinking...so I took a stock of everything I could think of off the top of my head at work.... it was an interesting learning experience.

-My Milwaukee tools (This was a huge disappointment)

Doug

P.S. I was appalled to learn that Carhartt is no longer all made in the USA, needless to say I will be looking for good quality jeans elsewhere before buying them again. FYI: Their website is FULL of comments from people very annoyed to learn they are no longer US made and who claim to never purchase them again...WOW

Doug I bought a Milwaukee sawzall 28V a few years ago.. I was also shocked when I read the "made in China" Embarassed BUT it hasn't missed a beat so I guess some foreign junk is ok.
Back to top Go down
Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Grumpy wrote:

Doug I bought a Milwaukee sawzall 28V a few years ago.. I was also shocked when I read the "made in China" Embarassed BUT it hasn't missed a beat so I guess some foreign junk is ok.

Agreed, my Milwauakee stuff is rugged as hell and works flawlessly, however it is never cool to see an American company go oversees.

Doug

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:35 pm

My two daily drivers the Crown Vic and the Grand Marquis, the plates are: "BUY USA" and "BUY US". I get a lot of comments, never have I had a negative one in twenty years. I'm not looking to make friends, just trying to save US jobs.

Tom C.

Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Pooge wrote:

While I am not 100% all-American in what I buy, now that I am somewhat established in life, I do my best to buy American .................

Doug

Your prety damn smart for a young guy. Arrow

Pooge wrote:

THAT'S what its really all about.
If we all do our best to keep it here, it will significantly help tomorrow IMO

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Fishah

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:06 pm

I'd love to buy stuff made in America. Unfortunately it's easier said than done.

I'd say just about everything in my Bathroom is made in USA. Beyond that however, hardly anything.

My TV, Stereo, PS3, Computer, Phone, Car, Shoes and Clothes are all imports...

Buying USA made really limits what you can buy...
Back to top Go down
Pooge

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Fishah wrote:
I'd love to buy stuff made in America. Unfortunately it's easier said than done.

I'd say just about everything in my Bathroom is made in USA. Beyond that however, hardly anything.

My TV, Stereo, PS3, Computer, Phone, Car, Shoes and Clothes are all imports...

Buying USA made really limits what you can buy...

Good point on the TV and phones...didn't even think of those. My computers are Dell, which I believe is at least assembled in the US, though I am sure everything in it is made oversees. The TVs are Samsung, so a big miss there, and who the F knows on a cell phone, but no way it's American.

It's getting tough. I sell aftermarket parts for snowmobiles, ATVs, motorcycles, etc.... Two identical items I sell, side by side, the American made one costs 30% more. To the average person that is unacceptable and I bet I sell the China made one 50-1 or more, and I bet at least half the time I do sell them it's cause the imported one is out of stock or I have to talk them into buying the American one...

You can open a whole can of worms about American workers being paid too much, and in some ways I agree, but it I would rather help my neighbor than a country who owns 25% of our debt....

I often wonder if the recession and our national debt would be what they were if the average person was willing to spend that extra couple bucks for the American made piece rather than the China piece.... I'm betting it's a lot like voting, one person wont make the difference, but a lot of one persons doing it, who never have, will make it happen. (Insert cheap shot at Obama getting elected here)

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:39 pm

I have a had a major battle with my self over the years. I would like to buy American made products, and I do where I can. I will only drive American brand vehicles. With the exception of Subaru. I have had a few of those.
Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:03 pm

-

When Americans buy another nation's products for less money, it will actually cost all of us Americans much more in the big picture.

The debt incurred is "covered" by the creation of further spiraling debt in the form of Govt. bonds. We Americans PAY for this over time.

With increased and additional taxes, but also with run-away inflation.

Then to make matters worse, the U.S. workers lose their jobs because production falls off.

They go on unemployment rolls and guess who pays for that?

I would rather pay more for a better grade U.S. made product and keep my brothers in their jobs, and off welfare.

At least then I can say the money was kept here and most effectively rewards the ACTUAL PEOPLE who strove so hard to make a better product against cheap foreign labor competition.

I want to see more young Americans learn how to love having pride in working toward re-building a great nation of "can do" minded over-achievers.

Maybe we should have a list somewhere here that allows us to post any verified source to buy proven American products.

We should all benefit from such a list, so that as a group, we can all enjoy the rewards of learning about better products, and an improved domestic economy.

I'll start here with two.

Jump n carry X-Force Booster pack USA made. Model JNCXFE www.jumpstarter.com An identical version is available from non-us manufacture, but this US made baby has held up FAR better.

WESCO BOOTS, www.westcoastshoe.com/ 100% American owned and made. Expensive yes, but they turned out to be the best value in boots I have ever had, in the long run.

Who knows: Maybe it will take off and require that the list needs to by broken off into several sub-categories.

I have designed, fabricated and repaired things my whole life, and it hurts my heart to think the following generations will have nobody to train them for a job that will no longer exist here on American soil.

Some will say that its hard to buy only American, "SO WHAT" if its hard, the alternative is a MUCH harder road for ALL of us, in my opinion.

Here is where we can can start to make it that much easier.

I could give anecdotes on cases in point for ever, like: ever try to buy new "ACCURIDE" drawer-slides for your Snap-On or M&M box? Same name but chinese, and guess what, they don't fit the older, better boxes.

-

Last edited by Machine-De-Zine on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:07 pm

When it comes to everyday knick-knacks I always buy the US made counterpart when available. I know the car brand issue is debatable, but when it comes to other small items like tools, unless you're talking something made in Europe, the US version is always the best. Tools from China suck. They all suck. I looked at some of the things in Harbor Freight then basically walked out, might be okay for tools you know you'll throw away, but I'd rather buy old used 1970s tools made here to be honest!

I gave the guy I work for a ration of shit because he got a Bostitch compressor and nailer when it was made in China, and the Porter Cable version was only a little more, had more guns with it, and was made in the USA. The compressor anyway. It's so annoying seeing people not look at the big picture!

I'm a tile guy, and sometimes people will buy tile made in China. It's ALL garbage. Cheap crap with red clay backing, anomalies and fisheyes in the surface, tiles that are different shades and sizes off by 1/16 over a foot so your whole floor winds up going off your spread-line, just bargain basement shit. The marble tile that Home Damage sells, made in China, is the worst ever, and people think they are getting a good deal. It smells like crude oil when you cut it on the wet saw, and most of the pieces have fault lines that have broken but were glued back together before they left China. Ridiculous.

I was pissed about Carhartt and wrote on their Facebook page a few scathing remarks. I got a few US made duck coats at Hilton's Tent City in Boston, seems all the coats at Bob's stores are MX-made crap. I wanted another black Arctic coat but now you can't specify the US made version (UC03) like back in 2008 or so, when I bought my last black one.
The ones made south of the border ARE a little crappier, and even if they weren't it sucks because people bought Carhartt largely due to the fact they were made in Michigan.

Another example is Chevy trucks made in Mexico, Dodges, etc. Dodge went way downhill when they started building trucks and cars in Mexico. Some people say the GMT400 body style trucks made there as opposed to the Janesville WI/Arlington TX vehicles are poorly assembled and have more mechanical problems, but I can't confirm.

People will argue "Meh, the foreign one is just as good" and they are missing the point by a mile. It's a matter of keeping jobs domestic. Industry domestic. As soon as we become a completely service-based, globalized economy, the US will be just like Rome, ready for collapse. I am astounded by how many people don't realize this. And I'm not a gung-ho pro-union guy either (I think those assholes in WI are pussies complaining over nothing when unionized state workers in totally liberal Massachusetts get nowhere near the amount of benefits they were complaining about losing) and feel a lot of them would bleed our industries dry if it meant they'd keep getting paid more. It's really a vicious cycle.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:08 pm

Nice job Matt!

I love going to L. L. Beans in Freeport. The people that work there inevitably come up and ask if they can help. This is when I like to have some fun. I tell them I would like some help but I don't think you can help me. I then ask them if you can find me one product in the store that is made in the US. They can't Actually, I found two: a brand of hats and chocolate candies shaped like a moose. That's it.

About 14 years we did a major remodel job at the house. I am pretty careful in picking US products. It was bad then, but nowhere as bad as now. Anyways, I bought 3 American Standard toilets. Never even gave it a thought. Well, I never would have thought American Standard Toilets were made in the Philippines.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
waynes91

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:53 pm

i thought i read that items can be repackaged here and marked made in usa something like that,i seen on tv that the stores around the tourist traps in washington dc 99% of the souvenirs u buy there are china made , even the american flag stuff ,we're so screwed
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:18 pm

I try as hard as I can to get US made items, especially at DeadZone which is a little tough! But I like having US made anything because thats what the family members in my past have always had. Why change that and send money to China. I don't plan on buying a foreign car ever and I dont ever want those cheapie foreign tools. I want the good stuff! Made right here in the U.S.

If it takes me a little bit more time saving up or sacrificing a little more savings then I'm ok with it. I feel proud of myself getting the product with MADE IN USA in bold letters on it.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:52 pm

One of my friends who works for a dealer gets tools from the Snap On truck that shows up. Some are branded "Bluepoint", don't know what that means but a lot were made in China! Seriously!?!?!?!

When I pick up an old tool like a vintage SK socket wrench or something, I can feel the work ethic and pride that went into making the item, in addition to wondering what it's been used to work on as well. You can find sturdy old tools that won't fail on you. THe stuff made in China has no quality whatsoever, has not been made with pride, and is sold by a country whom we give all of our cardboard to for free so they can repackage it around cheap crap they dump on us. It's that much of a trade deficit.

I did see a few US made items at of all places Wal-Mart the other day, some oil change tools, I got a Delco filter for my Blazer's upcoming oil change that was made here, they had these big metal drip pans you can lay under your car in case it has an oil leak that were made here...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Made in the USA   Today at 4:36 pm

Back to top Go down

Made in the USA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1