BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 59 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:20 am
Latest topics
» 95 MAB Washington State 9C1 with blister scoop $1500
Today at 1:14 pm by toomanytoyz

» CraigsList car finder
Today at 3:15 am by sdstick

» Tan Roadmaster Seats
Today at 2:52 am by sdstick

» (New additions) box body 9C1s
Today at 1:33 am by MASShole9C1

» Can I aks youse a kwesshion about uh spun main bearing, yo?
Yesterday at 5:10 am by Matt Trakker

» Found an SS, and it's the fast color
Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:37 am by 95brmw

» Hmm, what do we have here?
Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:46 pm by No Moa

» '96 RMW at Pick n Pull Freetown
Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:52 am by mp775

» Looking for 73-87 parts.... Anyone spot any in their junk yards lately?
Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:13 am by MalibuSSwagon

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
October 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Share | 

Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:47 pm

Has anyone ever done this? I hear it's easy and is basically like adding one wire to your fuse block or something, but I really know nothing about it yet.

My '74 came with points and a condenser, some '74s had HEI from the factory as that was the actual first year, it wasn't standard until 1975. My other '74 Impala actually had it factory.

At some point, probably about 10 years ago judging by the rust on the ignition coil, a previous owner installed a Pertronix conversion on my car to eliminate the points system. So it still has the smaller original style cap, the old type plug wires with the male brass lead sticking out of the boots, and a separate coil, although I think it's supposed to be a "hotter" coil since it came with the system.

Lately my car runs awful. It's misfiring really bad, it actually stalled once. Hard to start. I have to let it warm up to run the car, even when it's like 55 degrees out. Ridiculous. This morning I let it run for about 4 minutes, then backed out of my driveway with the engine sputtering, and had to floor it to get the car to accelerate away from a stop before people bombing down the street rear-ended me. It was either like it wasn't getting enough gas, or an ignition problem. It got better after a minute, but that's a relative term, it still runs crappy. Sometimes it's a little better, sometimes worse. It's now getting bad MPG and I kind of smell unburnt gas coming out the tailpipes.

I am going to replace the fuel filter just in case, and run a tank of cleaner gas through since the car did sit for a few months, but it was doing this before I put it away, just not as badly. I have replaced the plugs a few times since I've owned the car, and the current set is only from October or so when I had the valve seals done.

This is a simple car to work on, but I don't know much about diagnosing what's wrong given all the variables. Sucks. I would just throw a cap/rotor/wires on, but I know they'll be more of a pain to find since they're non-HEI, and what if that's not the problem? Kinda want to just yank everything, put a new HEI dist. in and wire it up, and add new HEI wires to it. It would suck if the problem persisted afterward but at least I'd know it wasn't distributor/cap/rotor/coil related.

I'm wondering if part of the hard starting is the Holley carb having a bad automatic choke or something, but I think even then the car would run nice when warmed up, and not miss like it does.

Anyway, the main idea of my erratic and rambling post is that I don't know if the Pertronix conversion is known for being crap or a good system, if the installation of it would have changed the factory wiring around so if I put an HEI in there it would be a pain to figure out, if I need vacuum advance or something different, etc.

Like I said I'm going to read up via Google but I'm really freaked because the car has never run this bad since I've owned it. I know the cam has an issue where one lobe was like 1/3 to 1/2 worn, but it still ran nice like that...and I think that would affect timing rather than creating an actual misfire/stumble.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:58 pm

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/hei.htm

Found this...hmm
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:45 am

And these...

http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/HEI.html

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/181240/

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1049093,parttype,7108

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10550/10002/-1

Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:51 am

So have you finished yet?
Come on....it sounds exactly like your problem
Do IT!!!

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke the 4L60E
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:06 am

Haha, sorry for the redundant posts, I just want to be able to come back and revisit this, hahaha

Doesn't it kind of sound like a chitty coil or something? I wonder if the "Cardone" distributors are any good, I bet they're made in China. However the same one is sold at VatoZone with a lifetime warranty...

I replaced the dizzy in my truck before, I think I can handle it, the wiring had me freaked but it looks almost too easy to be true. You remove one wire completely, then replace the other wire with a bigger gauge one and run it to the same spot on the firewall from the looks of it. It appears the wire replacement on the junction block might be tricky...I'll look it over tomorrow after work to see what may or may not have been meddled with for the Pertronix, and I'm NOT taking this damn car with me to work tomorrow! Mad

Maybe it'd be a good project for a mod day. Cool
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:56 am

Uuuuugh...it seems the Pertronix crap alters the wiring in some way....I'll have to print out a schematic if I can find one online...wtf...
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:57 pm

you should only need the original power wire to the coil, technically you can run a power wire from ignition source to the cap where it has the + (next to the tach wire location). the other wires are all part of the distributor.
basically you need a power wire to the + terminal and just hook up the vacuum advance to the intake or carb. thats it.
block the vac advance when you set the timing and then hook it back up when done.

i did this to my 70 impala had no trouble at all , ran great after the swap... had the same problem you did.
i used an accel distributor, advanced auto parts $110. I also did this to the 87 caprice brougham i had cuz i didnt want the electronic carb and distrubutor in there.

I might even have a bunch of hei distributors hanging around if your looking for one. I had a mallory one in the 71 vette motor I dropped in the 40 plymouth rat rod I built last year, now im selling it so i pulled the motor. its gotta be around somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:14 pm

I'll take a look, I knew the HEI wiring was fairly simple (well, it's like one wire, lol), I did pull the cap off and it didn't look bad inside, but I should still replace the stuff. I need to trace the power wire back from the current setup on the coil and see what's up with it.

A weird thing is the car started running a little better last night, although it was idling too high. I wonder if it's a vacuum leak or an issue with the carb. I still didn't think the miss seemed like a fuel issue. We'll see how it runs today...
Back to top Go down
jvette65

PostSubject: Points Dist.   Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Did you check the coil? You can check it by ohm'ing it out. Measure primary winding resistance between the two posts (disconnect the wires first). .35 to .55 ohms is considered good.
Measure secondary resistence between either post and the main terminal. 8000-12000 ohms is good. You can pull the coil out of the car and shake it gently (up and down along major cylindrical axis). You should hear what sounds like fluid (oil) splashing around (very slight sound). If your coil doesn't make that sound it'd mean the oil has leaked out evaporated over time and the coil should be replaced $30-$40.
Symptoms would be hard starting or running rough. -Joe.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Nice! I gotta find my multimeter, haha

The car still uses that old style separate coil, I kind of thought it might be junk, but my idea of adding the HEI instead if the coil was in fact bad was just to simplify things, I just don't know how good this pertronix system actually is...
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:26 pm

I could have sworn Jegs sold a whole "plug and play" kit. I'll have to check my latest catalog...
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:30 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
I could have sworn Jegs sold a whole "plug and play" kit. I'll have to check my latest catalog...

LOL, I stepped on a Jegs catalog coming in the house earlier...
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:06 pm

I looked into the Jegs setup, good price but it seems it's a bunch of parts made overseas and I saw bad reviews on both the Summit and Jegs HEI's, so I'll probably pass on that. I DID find this:

http://best18vsaw.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?pid=L00510&c=0&e=0&hid=912AG54350&cat=9&trk=

I guess I can just get one of the Proform/MSD Streetfire/GM Performance Parts HEI's, then a set of wires and plug it in there...still may test the coil to see if I can get some more life out of the current system though. I also read that HEI connectors changed over the years, so I'll have to do more studying I suppose

EDIT- just found out that the 73 Chrysler sitting in the driveway uses the same part # large external coil that the Impala does. I'll swap them to do a quick experiment while I figure out where my multimeter disappeared to. I think the one in that car is a lot newer than the Pertronix coil in the Impala.
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:36 am

Not sure if I would really want to trust the jegs/summit one

But I bet the GMPP will never skip a beat
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:54 pm

So I put the coil from the Chrysler in there today- the car instantly ran better than before. I drove from Malden to Reading wondering if someone secretly put a new engine in my car. I don't know how old the Pertronix coil was, but I know the system has been around for a few decades, and the coil looks pretty rusty and crappy. It says "Flame Thrower", I'm fairly sure they don't even call them that anymore and haven't for a while, the new ones say Flame Thrower II or something like that?

The coil I used seemed to have a little bit of stripped threads on the POS terminal, plus s'not my coil, so I am going to buy a new one. It also didn't seem to fit in the coil hold-down clamp very well, so I'll have to figure something out about that.
I've read online that an MSD coil seemed to work better with the Pertronix system. Also, if I were to swap in an HEI, I'd need to find a different kind of air cleaner (the Holley one on there isn't that old), and people have said the external coil is better because it doesn't get as hot? I guess in drag racing some guys stick with this setup and small cap dizzys? I dunno.

Either way, think I'm just sticking with the Pertronix, it's already there and wired up, won't cost me more, etc. The car still ran a little rough (only at a few stoplights, minor random hiccups, not consistent rough running like bad ign. timing or whatever), so I may get new wires/cap/rotor as well. It could be from the coil not being fastened in, as I just jammed it in the holder for the ride home, the fact that the other coil I swapped in isn't new either, the coil terminal connections that the prev. owner made seemed a little ghetto (they used crimp terminals, is that okay?) and so on. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
So I put the coil from the Chrysler in there today- the car instantly ran better than before.

Christ, stop screwing around & tune it up.

Matt Trakker wrote:
(they used crimp terminals, is that okay?) .....

No crimps are good if they can be avoided.

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:23 am

Damn coil showed up today and lo and behold, made in China. I may use it, but I dunno, I just don't want the thing in my car. Might return it, or use it a while just to see if it fixed the problem, get a regular coil or something, then sell this on CL. Thing is this is 1.5 ohm, required to run the Pertronix module or you have to add a resistor. lol
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:03 am

Replaced coil, ran better but still skips/misses at idle and stuff. Replaced plug wires, runs stronger and had a smoother power band but still misses at idle! I also cleaned the contacts in the cap and rotor and sprayed it out with silicone then wiped it. I'll probably do them to eliminate the possibility and toss a fuel filter in, it's looking kinda brownish inside the element

Frigging car
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:46 am

Have you ever pulled the valve covers or done a compression check?
I thought I remembered you saying something about a worn cam lobe.
Was that someones guess or did it REALLY get diagnosed?

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:54 am

No, definitely has one worn lobe. I didn't see it but I trust the guy who does work like this for me. He did all my valve seals in the fall because they were virtually non-existent. He said it was only one, and was halfway worn down. He adjusted it to try and compensate he told me, and it ran pretty good considering. He adjusted all the valves.

This problem really seems like a misfire, I didn't think that cam problem could cause it? It's like a skip at idle...

After the cam issue I told myself I wouldn't do anything else to this car engine wise unless I was just doing basic maintenance. I like the car but lately it's pissing me off. I hate how the rear shocks ride too, it's not fun for me anymore!!! Laughing The carb seems iffy too even though I keep it clean.

I tell myself it could be worse, because I've been there. My last one had holes in the floor and everything!

The cap and rotor didn't look terrible, but there was some crap on the contacts. When I cleaned them up with my dremel, they seemed a little pitted in there. Also, this cap style is the old old style one where the plug wires go down into them (female and the wires are male) so I couldn't see too well down in there...

We'll see...

PS Steve I think I saw your wagon at the North Reading bowling alley a few days back. LOL
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:07 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
PS Steve I think I saw your wagon at the North Reading bowling alley a few days back. LOL

Yes you did.
My daughter turned 13 & we needed 2 cars to get all the girls to the alley.
They LOVE that tail gunner seat.

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Sun May 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Well, I put a new Delco cap and rotor on there, still does it. However I'm wondering if the actual wired connections at the distributor are weak, the ones for the Pertronix system. Or if the system is bad. I don't want to toss any more parts at the problem though, the car is "tuned up" now save for any issues with with the carb or more serious issues, maybe I'll wait until we have a mod day to mess with it again or something. Looking back, when I first swapped coils the problem cleared up a little, maybe the old coil was fine and me jiggling the wired connections messed with it a bit.

I just dont' want to put any more money into this car if I can't be happy driving it, I was planning on a new radio and speakers/wiring, different derby-style center caps, and putting longer Bilsteins in the back. Now I have to drive it in silence with nothing to keep me company but the skip at traffic lights (that probably wouldn't bother anyone else, I AM nuts.). haha

I should just do the sound system so I can drown out everything that could make noise or exhibit problems
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Sun May 08, 2011 10:11 pm

I do have an hei, I just found it, and i also probably have a coil and cap for it too. I'm tellin you the hei will make a world of difference. I'd put it all back to stock and then swap to hei. Everytime I use msd or aftermarket ignition stuff I get problems.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Mon May 09, 2011 2:51 am

Well, I just drove the car to hell and back (Malden through Arlington then all the way around 128 from 2A in Lexington or whatever down around to the Braintree split, down 3 to 139 into Marshfield, then up Route 3A to Scituate, then back roads through Cohasset and Quincy to Neponset Circle then back to Malden) through a bunch of different kinds of traffic...and I have to say it goes a million times better. I definitely gave it the "Italian tune-up" on the highway too.

When I left, it still did it's whole missing and skipping thing at stops when I was in Drive, but under load, even traveling 25 MPH with light throttle and mostly coasting, it went pretty smooth. After I got off the highway, it missed way less. After a while, there were times it didn't miss at all, and others where the skip would only happen once every 10 seconds or so. It's running smoother throughout the whole power band basically.

The car still isn't perfect and never was, but it's running pretty damn nice right now. I don't get it. I don't know if I got bad gas, if something in the 40 year old gas tank came loose and caught in a fuel line then came loose again, if there is gunk built up in the carb, if the carb itself (Holley) has issues and needs to be tuned, it's just weird. On my next tank I am going to run some of that 2 stroke oil with my gas and see what happens. Or just start driving the piss out of the car and take it to every cruise night I can find. Laughing

I think I'd eventually like to put the car to HEI, but I probably just spent 100 bucks in parts tuning it up, so I pretty much don't have a choice but to wait if the car keeps running better. lol
Back to top Go down
jvette65

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Mon May 09, 2011 3:23 am

Just a check on that cylinder with the worn cam lobe. Keep an eye on that particular plug, it may be getting fouled over time. What I've had happen in the past is the same symptom due to a few worn lobes, I'd swap in a fresh plug and it clears it up, for a short while, then starts getting fouled again. You'll start with a skip that gets worse over time, especially if all you drive is in city traffic.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Mon May 09, 2011 4:19 am

Wow, I didn't think that the plug would foul from that- I'll definitely pull that one plug when I get a chance! I have some of those old "spark de-fouler" things sitting around somewhere as well, I wonder if they actually do anything...

My long term plan is to just keep the car running and have fun with it as long as possible with as little investment into the engine as possible being as old as it is. I'd really like to eventually have the engine gone through and rebuilt with performance goodies and a lopey cam, HEI, and all that stuff.
Back to top Go down
Ironfistdog

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Mon May 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Does the 74 have the factory heat rise choke (or whatever it's called) On the carb? Is that working if you do? Also what's the compression like in each cylinder? Any vacuum leaks at the carb? Worn or broken vacuum lines? Change the stone fuel filter? Try dumping a fee bottles of dry gas in the tank or even sea foam.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Mon May 09, 2011 8:40 pm

This car has a Holley Street Avenger (don't know if that name even means anything) with an Edelbrock intake manifold on it. There is absolutely no emissions equipment of any kind on there, no EGR, AIR system, cats, nothing. It never had cats, but I think it might have had the AIR system when new, however the plugs in the manifolds where the tubes used to go look as old as the car, and I suspect that since it was sold new out in western MA that the system was just yanked off when the car was new because inspection stations didn't care back then out that way or something?
It does have stock exhaust manifolds but there is no heat riser and it has an aftermarket open element air cleaner as well. I always assumed that was why it took longer to warm up.
It has an inline fuel filter I have replaced a few times sitting right on top of the manifold, one of the see thru plastic Fram ones. I just put a new one on there. I am unsure if there is actually a filter inside the carb? I've never touched the carb other than spray it off and out from time to time with carb cleaner and wipe it out.

There are definitely a few amateurish looking things done under the hood of this car I've never been fully sure about. The fuel lines are mostly rubber from up behind the water pump area to the carb with other pieces of rubber cut open and slid over the rubber lines where they rub against things, the charcoal canister is still there but the line that went to the original carb (?) is disconnected, plugged with a bolt, and laying on the inner fender...stuff like that. I'd really like to go through and clean up a few of the issues like that.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Tue May 31, 2011 5:25 am

Wow, so after briefly running better around one of my last posts, the car runs worse than it ever has in my ownership! It skips bad at idle now, and even through the lower RPM range under load. It's getting worse with time.Mad

I have to dig into this tomorrow, dumb question but do Holley carburetors come with internal fuel filters, or is the external clear plastic Fram one I have in the fuel line the only filter?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Tue May 31, 2011 2:38 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
Wow, so after briefly running better around one of my last posts, the car runs worse than it ever has in my ownership! It skips bad at idle now, and even through the lower RPM range under load. It's getting worse with time.Mad

I have to dig into this tomorrow, dumb question but do Holley carburetors come with internal fuel filters, or is the external clear plastic Fram one I have in the fuel line the only filter?

Whats a carburetor? Wink
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Tue May 31, 2011 10:20 pm

http://www.vintagemusclecarparts.com/pages/filterreplace1.html

http://www.holley.com/data/types/pictures/SA_IntoZOOM.jpg

I must be retarded. This could be my problem, I've NEVER touched the carb other than spray it out from time to time with cleaner. And I wouldn't be surprised that stuff from my tank has been clogging the fuel filters, and when I replaced the external inline one, more crap went into the inner filters or something. It certainly feels like a fuel problem...
Back to top Go down
jvette65

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Tue May 31, 2011 10:41 pm

Have you pulled the plugs to "read" them? They'll tell you how each cylinder is performing.
Here's a link to get you acquainted : http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Tue May 31, 2011 10:53 pm

jvette65 wrote:
Have you pulled the plugs to "read" them? They'll tell you how each cylinder is performing.
Here's a link to get you acquainted : http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

Thanks for that link- I just ordered these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160545346255&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

When I put them in I'm going to check the plugs
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:57 am

An update of sorts- After changing all the tune up parts, the fuel filters both inside and out of the carb, the brake booster (it leaked, ran a little better w/no vacuum leak anymore, new master cyl as well), and a couple other things, it was still running like crap. Yesterday my buddy came over and we pulled a plug wire off the suspected bad cylinder from the bad camshaft, hardly changed how the engine ran. Then we pulled the valve covers quick, you could clearly see one rocker moving about 1/8" when all the other were moving normally as I cranked the engine over. On the opposite bank, you could see one rocker JUST starting to have the same problem, it was moving a little less. That would be the next lobe on the cam I presume, I bet one area of the cam was soft metal from when it was cast.
Then we did a compression test. Surprisingly, the cyls. were all pretty uniform around 135-140 on average, the "dead" cylinder was like 125-130. I noticed there was a ton of crap on some of my plugs that were only a few thousand miles old so I wiped the ash deposits off, not even trying that hard. I think this might have been from that marine oil I was putting in my fuel. I dumped a ton of it in when I was impatient and stupid after the car was pissing me off (not a ton actually, but a little more than I should have). Anyway, with the plugs back in, it was skipping still, but not as bad, then the skipping kind of went away. I'm not holding my breath, but all day today, and the end of my driving experience with it yesterday, the car was running the balls. Strange, I probably jinxed it! I don't see how, while the cam is bad, this skip could be from the cam if it's not doing it constantly. I wonder if I should throw a set of cheap new plugs in there or actually try and clean the ones in the engine now and reinstall them.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:09 am

Good to hear it's running better! Less than 20 bucks for a set of good copper plugs. 20 minutes to change them out on that car, too. Just do it. Wink

A Toasted Marshmallow, A BADASS truck, a unicorn and giant pit to throw money into...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:20 am

LOL, the whole compression test took about 25..I bet replacing the plugs is like 5 I kid you not. I'm hoping I can get some more time out of not needing to swap the cam, my friend tells me with 8 cylinders, it should be balanced enough to mask the "dead" cylinder for now. At least the engine seems solid overall for the most part.

Back to top Go down
Machine-De-Zine

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:51 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
LOL, the whole compression test took about 25..I bet replacing the plugs is like 5 I kid you not. I'm hoping I can get some more time out of not needing to swap the cam, my friend tells me with 8 cylinders, it should be balanced enough to mask the "dead" cylinder for now. At least the engine seems solid overall for the most part.

Your not going to like my $0.02!
Price out a new cam & lifter set. It'll be cheaper than you think!
And certainly cheaper than chasing all these phantoms in avoidance of facing head-on what REALLY needs to be done.
You will need to pull your timing chain set too, so replace that as well.
It'll be surprisingly affordable, i think you will find.
I mean its a S.B.C., for Kry-Sakes! These parts are cheaper than those of a 3.5 HP Briggs and Stratton!
Doing the swap will also be VERY easy, a few hours is all it takes. Re-use your coolant.
Just swing the A/C condenser out of the way, pull the radiator, the cam comes out thru your grill opening like duck soup!

Where do you think all that pulverized missing cam lobe and lifter material is going?
Into your bearings, oil pump, rings-pistons and cylinder walls, other cam lobes & lifter bases, this is a path toward eventual engine destruction, usually.
What does the magnet on your oil pan plug look like when you change your oil?
I'll bet that your old eng oil has an ultra-fine "metalic-flake" look to it, right?

Also, when cam lobes are worn, often air gets very erratic inside the intake manifold, causing faulty signal continuity to the detriment of a proper functioning carburetor.
Change your cam already, it NEEDS to be done.
Its a win-win scenario for you.
Many of your issues will be immediately resolved by doing so, you will get better power, milage, smoothness, longevity, and pleasure in driving your car thereafter.
^

Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)   Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:10 pm

sdstick wrote:
So have you finished yet?
Come on....Do IT!!!

sdstick wrote:
Christ, stop screwing around & tune it up.

toomanytoyz wrote:
................ Just do it. Wink

Machine-De-Zine wrote:
.....It'll be surprisingly affordable, i think you will find.
I mean its a S.B.C., for Kry-Sakes! .................
Change your cam already, it NEEDS to be done.
Its a win-win scenario for you.......

I'm seeing a pattern here....just thought you should know... Laughing
Back to top Go down

Breaker points to HEI conversion? (car runs terrible right now)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England ::  :: -