BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

My Camaro Build...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bfurches

PostSubject: My Camaro Build...   Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:54 pm

As most of you already know...my Caprice is all gone, sold to another member. I am not done with the B-Body stuff by any means, and this spring I should be back into a b-body for some racing....but for now, my Camaro is my new toy What a Face

I picked up the car in Newton, MA almost two months ago. Needless to say, I have been chipping away ever since.

The car already had a 4" Glasstek hood installed, Wolfe Racing weld-in 6pt roll bar, Wolfe Racing mini tubs and an almost new paint job.

Here is what it looked like when I brought her home Smile

....I managed to score a low mileage L92 for a steal. The motor is currently at RADs in Ludlow, MA getting a few goodies installed to handle the nitrous Smile

I also picked up a leather interior from a Trans Am I parted out just before Christmas. The drives seat was in rough shape, but the interior shop fixed up the pair nicely.

...Since the car is going to be a street/ strip monster...I wanted it to be REALLY light. I went ahead and gutted the ENTIRE interior and wiring. I decided I am going to wire the car completely from scratch (to save weight and eliminate all of the nonsesne). All and all, my goal is to have a fairly stock appearing interior (meaning no racing seats or hacked up carpet lol), but to have all the instrumentation necessary for racing and safety equipment for 150+ mph in the 1320.

This is the fuse box and the start of my wiring...

I also deleted the rest of the HVAC components and built a delete panel for the firewall (meets NHRA requirements).

When I had some down time the other night, I got the shifter mounted up, fabed the nitrous arming in the console, built an aluminum shifter cover and wrapped it in vinyl. All and all im cruising along lol

Theirs a lot more to share but I will update later...
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: My Camaro Build...   Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:55 pm

More info I didn't have a chance to post the other day...

I decided to build my own battery box for the car. I could justify spending the 150.00 and up for an aluminum one from Summit or Jegs. The box was designed to fit a typical off the shelf Optima. I think I am going to make the lid out of plexi-glass...only because I have digital LED battery terminals that have the voltage display built in.

Here is what it looked like when I was building it...

Its currently at my friends shop getting tiged together. In the meantime, I got the support stand mounted in the rear wheel well for the box. I also built a lever for the batter disconnect you can see in the same picture (typical push "off" lever)....obviously needs to be trimmed down some in the second photo.

I also purchased a Moser ford 9" from a guy in Eastern MA. Its setup for the f-body chassis with a full spool, 4.10 gears, and 35 spline axles. The guy I purchased it from is in the National Guard, and he is delivering it the first weekend of February. In the meen time, I also purchased a fully adjustable UMI torque arm from him that mounts to the transmission tunnel (as opposed from the tail-shaft like the oem setup). Even has a built in driveshaft loop!

...I couldn't stand the red....so I dropped it off to get powder-coated black lol.

This past weekend, I got working on some weight reduction. Since the car has a roll bar in her, I pulled the crash bars from the door. It was a total of 14lbs. Next I moved onto cutting out the "fender skin." (pretty typical mod on street/ strip setups). It came out really clean and shaved almost 10lbs off the nose as well....

...and when that was all finished up and ground smooth on both sides, I moved onto the radiator support. The stock rad sits at an angle and takes up a ton of room. I notched the support to accept a stand-up traditional griffin radiator, and modified the bottom of the support (also took almost 10lbs away).

Little by little im chipping away Smile
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: My Camaro Build...   Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Builds coming along nicely! It must be great having a real garage, probably with some heat. Tent garages are sweet! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: My Camaro Build...   Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:50 pm

It's been quite a while...but I am still alive and chipping away....

Start with the front:

Motor for this car is an L92 (pretty much an LS3). All aluminum 6.2. Cut the heads to bump compression a tad, new LS6 valve springs, ported the exhaust side to compliment the boost or nitrous (whichever my budget allows), GM ASA cam.....and a carb lol.

Being a 95...obviously I had the LT1 k-frame...so that had to go.

I swapped over to an OEM LS1 K-Frame which I lightened (took 3 lbs out of the frame itself). Installed the Spohn solid motor mounts (which also shave another 10lbs over stock). Performed the common "manual rack" mod. Installed LS1 Spindles and aluminum calipers. Strange coilovers with 300lb springs, and all new hardware, ball joints and etc. Wheel wells where stripped and painted, and I finished the inner fender metal removal...

I also finished building the lower rad support (and turbo support if I get that far this year)

...And of course there was the scary part! Cutting the cowl back all the way to the windshield to make room for the carb and intake! I am not done yet. I still need to weld in the new portion of the firewall and smooth everything...

Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: My Camaro Build...   Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:01 pm

Moving out back...

Picked up my wheels and tires. 15x12 Weld Prostars with 29x12 Hoosiers. Its going to look nasty tucked up in the tubs...

The rear end getting tucked under this car is in the works. Its a custom Strange S60, narrowed 2" per side, 35 spline, full spool, 3.52 gears (friendly for the boost).

I wanted to make some room under the car to take advantage of the tubs. I want to tuck the tire just like in the mock-up....so the stock tank had to go! After pulling it out and stripping the rear floor from the seats back, I got to work on the new fuel cell location!

I custom designed my own fuel cell to sit where the OEM t-top well was. I started by cutting out the t-top well and building a completely new floor pan from 1/8" aluminum sheet. After forming and fitting, I secured it into place, riveted the floor, and body sealed the unit in. Came out AWESOME and from under the car looks completely oem (should look stock inside once I lay the carpet down as well...

...And this is the fuel cell I built which will be sitting on that new braced floor Smile
It is still in the works but you get the idea! 15 gallon, baffled and sumped...

...And while we are back here...I also finished the battery box and shut-off assembly to be NHRA compliant.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Camaro Build...   Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:18 pm

Some body has been busy. Very Happy

Looking good. Arrow
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: My Camaro Build...   Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:37 am

Getting it done man!

Cant wait to see the ET from this thing. Arrow
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: My Camaro Build...   Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Expensive week lol!

Turbonetics 80mm Y2k Ball Bearing

Afco dbl adj rear coilovers...

Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: My Camaro Build...   Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Wow, that's shaping up to be pretty killer! Smile

A Toasted Marshmallow, A Long German, A Lame Suburban and expensive dreams...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Camaro Build...   Today at 7:31 am

Back to top Go down

My Camaro Build...