BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Today at 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 
CalendarCalendar

Share | 
 

 Ferds

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker



Posts : 5075
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 35
Location : Reading, MA

PostSubject: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:40 pm

I may be flamed for this post being a Chevy/GM centric forum, but I'm prepared.

Anyone here have any experience with the 97-03ish F150s? Or Fords from the last decade or so?

My father is looking for a decent truck in the 4-5K range about 10 years old to drive for a while until he can get something nicer/newer. His 88 Chevy is kinda on the outs with over 310K on the engine, IIRC. And it's two wheel drive.

I see a lot of 99-2000-2001ish Ford extended cab F150s in okay condition on CL for like 5 grand. Are these trucks absolute garbage? I've looked at reviews online, known a few people with bad stories of weird stuff happening like gas tanks falling out (you know who you are) and whatnot. I know about the exhaust manifold bolt problems, spark plugs popping out of the heads, etc.

It's just that I don't see a lot of the NBS GM Silverados and Sierras for around 5 grand that aren't 2wd stripper models or that don't have rotted out rockers on them! And for whatever reason my father likes the Ford's styling better. I'd think he'd go with another Chevy considering what his current one has done for him.

Back to top Go down
Cadet57



Posts : 4476
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Chicopee, MA

PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:59 pm

We had a '97 F150 til my father traded it in for his 250. It was a solid truck, never gave him any issues. Diddnt even have that spark plug issues. Check the frame, they like to rot around the bed/rear wheels. But overall, just make sure the maintenance was done and you should get a decent truck.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:02 pm

They are great until the timing chain guides and guide tensioners let go and fail. Surprised Way to many moving internal engine parts for my liking. I think I would stay with GM.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57



Posts : 4476
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Chicopee, MA

PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:06 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
They are great until the timing chain guides and guide tensioners let go and fail. Surprised Way to many moving internal engine parts for my liking. I think I would stay with GM.

Going to play devils advocate here, but shouldn't you be changing the tensioner with the timing belt thus reducing the risk of that issue?
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker



Posts : 5075
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 35
Location : Reading, MA

PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:09 pm

Yeah, they have SOHC right? A lot of the ones I see around 4-5K are high mileage trucks around 170K, and seem nice, but methinks they've been sold to small used car dealers at auto auctions and they're trying to flip them for 2-3K more than they paid for them.

Me, I'd stick with Chevy or GMC for now, but I don't think my dad cares as long as it's not a total piece of crap that will last a year or two.
Back to top Go down
95brmw



Posts : 1431
Join date : 2009-11-10
Age : 32
Location : Connecticut

PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:36 pm

If you love electrical problems fords are great! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:57 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:
They are great until the timing chain guides and guide tensioners let go and fail. Surprised Way to many moving internal engine parts for my liking. I think I would stay with GM.

Going to play devils advocate here, but shouldn't you be changing the tensioner with the timing belt thus reducing the risk of that issue?
I have seen too many times the true failure rate of the ford modular motor. There are two timing chanes that go from the crank to each cam. The tension is made via a chain guide made of plastic insted of a gear. There are two two chain guides, and each rides on two spring loaded tensioners. The guides ware down prematurely, and the tensioners fail, and do not hold correct tension to the timing chain guide. Yes. When you go in there, you should replace everything. If you buy a LSX powered truck made by GM, you do not have to deal with any of this. I have seen the guide tensioners fail at 29k. So ford can kiss my butt. At least GM has learned the "Keep It Simple Stupid KISS" RULE
Back to top Go down
Cadet57



Posts : 4476
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Chicopee, MA

PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:01 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:
They are great until the timing chain guides and guide tensioners let go and fail. Surprised Way to many moving internal engine parts for my liking. I think I would stay with GM.

Going to play devils advocate here, but shouldn't you be changing the tensioner with the timing belt thus reducing the risk of that issue?
I have seen too many times the true failure rate of the ford modular motor. There are two timing chanes that go from the crank to each cam. The tension is made via a chain guide made of plastic insted of a gear. There are two two chain guides, and each rides on two spring loaded tensioners. The guides ware down prematurely, and the tensioners fail, and do not hold correct tension to the timing chain guide. Yes. When you go in there, you should replace everything. If you buy a LSX powered truck made by GM, you do not have to deal with any of this. I have seen the guide tensioners fail at 29k. So ford can kiss my butt. At least GM has learned the "Keep It Simple Stupid KISS" RULE

Id take a Ford truck any day of the week. (7.3L thou, thank you) then again, GM and Ford run laps around Dodge any day of the week. What do they say about polishing a turd...
Back to top Go down
95brmw



Posts : 1431
Join date : 2009-11-10
Age : 32
Location : Connecticut

PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:06 pm

I would take my 96 Ram 2500 any day over a Ford. My friend owns a 96 5.8l F250. The interior just looks cheap, and my 5.2l dodge can take that thing on any day. The Dodge just looks meaner and a lot better built. I can't say much for the Chevys as the newest one I own is a 1985 Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
bowtiepimp



Posts : 1564
Join date : 2010-06-19
Age : 31
Location : working a corner near you

PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:09 pm

f series super dutys are good buys

but when it comes to f150's only buy one if was fully serviced at the dealership.

buy from an ol timer, not some hick with a "great deal"....... nah mean.....

Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker



Posts : 5075
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 35
Location : Reading, MA

PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:10 pm

I know I wouldn't buy one of the old 90s boxy Fords. They have a lot of problems with exh. manifolds, head replacement, and the sparkplugs rusting into the heads. lol

Guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for a GM LS powered truck. Maybe my dad will consider a GMC different enough. Cool
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor



Posts : 4059
Join date : 2010-03-30
Age : 23
Location : Wilmington/Wakefield/Andover

PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
I may be flamed for this post being a Chevy/GM centric forum, but I'm prepared.

Anyone here have any experience with the 97-03ish F150s? Or Fords from the last decade or so?

My father is looking for a decent truck in the 4-5K range about 10 years old to drive for a while until he can get something nicer/newer. His 88 Chevy is kinda on the outs with over 310K on the engine, IIRC. And it's two wheel drive.

I see a lot of 99-2000-2001ish Ford extended cab F150s in okay condition on CL for like 5 grand. Are these trucks absolute garbage? I've looked at reviews online, known a few people with bad stories of weird stuff happening like gas tanks falling out (you know who you are) and whatnot. I know about the exhaust manifold bolt problems, spark plugs popping out of the heads, etc.

It's just that I don't see a lot of the NBS GM Silverados and Sierras for around 5 grand that aren't 2wd stripper models or that don't have rotted out rockers on them! And for whatever reason my father likes the Ford's styling better. I'd think he'd go with another Chevy considering what his current one has done for him.


LOL That kid just had to get the entire exhaust system replaced too. Manifold to tailpipe. The frame is still rotten...

Another friend has a 2wd 99 that needs the tensioners and it has a tick over 45K, had 38K when he got it. It sat for a year though.

Isn't the spark plug problem that the heads constantly break off in the heads?
Back to top Go down
95brmw



Posts : 1431
Join date : 2009-11-10
Age : 32
Location : Connecticut

PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:55 pm

Funny that you mention the manifolds. My friend is in the middle of replacing a cracked one on his truck. 3 Broken off bolts later, still working at it.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer



Posts : 1690
Join date : 2009-03-12
Age : 45
Location : Southern, NH

PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:47 pm

Well out of the 21 years years I've been a mechanic (well getting paid to do it anyway), I spent a little over 2 years working for independent shop, where I got a lot of exposure to all brands of vehicles.
If I had to pick a truck and it was something other than a GM, it would'nt be a Ford. I don't like they way they start, or run, or drive. I CAN'T STAND working on them, and they do have freaky electrical problems Mad
Truthfully I would but buy a Dodge in much worse condition, before I bought a Ford.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:08 am

I would buy a toyota tundra before dodge or ford.
Back to top Go down
Pooge



Posts : 1698
Join date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:57 am

If your old man does not mind a stripper model, LS powered 99-02ish GMs can be had for the 5K and less mark depending on condition. For 5K you should be able to get one with semi solid rockers (notorious weak point) and a solid frame. They are known for the frames rotting around the rear wheels, so keep eyes peeled for that.

Otherwise they are great solid trucks.

Doug

_________________
1996 Impala SS - 45K original miles - 5.3 LS swap - Brand new Bilsteins...WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker



Posts : 5075
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 35
Location : Reading, MA

PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Pooge wrote:
If your old man does not mind a stripper model, LS powered 99-02ish GMs can be had for the 5K and less mark depending on condition. For 5K you should be able to get one with semi solid rockers (notorious weak point) and a solid frame. They are known for the frames rotting around the rear wheels, so keep eyes peeled for that.

Otherwise they are great solid trucks.

Doug

Thanks a lot for the heads up, I had no idea about the frame rot issue, I do remember you saying you were parting out that other one with a frame issue, haha.

I saw a nice 2wd shortbed V8 99 C1500 on Craigslist a few weeks ago for like 2900 bucks, seemed like a nice little truck but I think it sold.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Ferds   Today at 10:55 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Ferds
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England :: BADASS information :: Bad talk-
Jump to: