BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 59 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:20 pm
Latest topics
» CraigsList car finder
Yesterday at 11:46 am by toomanytoyz

» Summit SUM-G9001 Headers, Mods needed?
Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:08 pm by 1984twodoor

» 5 Ultra low mileage multec injectors
Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:14 am by miniz33

» WTB 91-96 B body, NOT looking for someone to check Craigslist.
Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:47 pm by 1984twodoor

» Some more goodies for sale
Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:22 am by Cadet57

» Bumper Guards: 2, Shitty Drivers: 0
Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:24 pm by MASShole9C1

» Deals on Wheels find!
Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:57 am by Matt Trakker

» Fragola Products Hose & Fittings
Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:00 am by bfurches

» Anyone home?
Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:29 am by tonyc712000

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2014
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Share | 

Lets talk Turbo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Lets talk Turbo   Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Ok. First off, I will start buy saying this. Turbo cars are wicked pissa!
Ever since I had cartech strap a turbo system on my 90 mustang gt, I have been hooked. And my couple years with my grand national was no different. Just plain shit eating grin fun. Very Happy

With all that bs said. Here is a simple plan. I am just thinking out loud. Any and all imput is welcome.

First, this will happen on a stock bottom end. After all, buick did it, and it worked fine. The routing is simple, bring both exhaust sides up at the same point to meet above the intake about 6" or so the turbo is to the back of the engine compartment and exiting to the drivers side with a 3-1/2" down pipe into a cat and y-pipe. the inake piping will go over to the passenger side. Intercooler will be placed someplace, might even do two small intercoolers on either side of the bumper support. Not sure which turbo yet, or which who will grind my cam, but I do know who will tune it.

Last edited by IMPALADAKID on Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:01 pm

I like this idea a lot! I've thought about doing a blow through supercharger on the caprice, but I have also thought about a zillion other things.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:20 pm

I'll think of something and let you know. Wink

A Toasted Marshmallow, A BADASS truck, a unicorn and giant pit to throw money into...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:25 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
I'll think of something and let you know. Wink
Thank you... I can't wait... I will just be over here waiting..... For your ideas........ Yeah... Waiting. (In my best Stewie voice) Razz

I guess I am asking for advice. There are so many turbos out there. I am not sure which one to use. I would like to use a Garret turbo with a air to air intercooler, but not sure which one. Like I said, this is going to be on a stock drivetrain with the exception of a converter and cam, and valve springs, 30 lbs SVOs, racetronix pump.
I figure any LT1 is worth 300hp at the crank with intake, exhaust and tuning. So I am thinking with the correct turbo, and intercooler, I could be seeing 45-50% more power safely as a daily driven car.
Back to top Go down
mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:51 am

can you say blow bye bom
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:31 am

Well, this venture is more than likely not as cheap as you think it may be to do. I know a guy who had set what seemed like a fairly realistic budget. It should have worked. Now he's almost tripled it, and he still doesn't even have the turbo itself or the intercooler...

And you'll need at least 42lb injectors. The Racetronix hotwire harness with a walbro. 3.08's are good, but 3.42's may be a little better. A converter and a tranny that'll handle lockup and boost through shifts is going to be tough if you stay with the 60. Sticky tires? Beware the rear end, too. Wink Stock crank should hold up, but the rods are questionable. And if you're gonna run more than like 6 or 8 psi, you'll want some dished pistons and forged rods. And... ka-ching.

A Toasted Marshmallow, A BADASS truck, a unicorn and giant pit to throw money into...
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:16 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Well, this venture is more than likely not as cheap as you think it may be to do. I know a guy who had set what seemed like a fairly realistic budget. It should have worked. Now he's almost tripled it, and he still doesn't even have the turbo itself or the intercooler...

And you'll need at least 42lb injectors. The Racetronix hotwire harness with a walbro. 3.08's are good, but 3.42's may be a little better. A converter and a tranny that'll handle lockup and boost through shifts is going to be tough if you stay with the 60. Sticky tires? Beware the rear end, too. Wink Stock crank should hold up, but the rods are questionable. And if you're gonna run more than like 6 or 8 psi, you'll want some dished pistons and forged rods. And... ka-ching.

Hey, I think I know that guy Razz
Back to top Go down
bfurches

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:33 pm

I am in the process of building a turbocharged lt1, and I think I can shed a little light on the topic...but first, before ANYONE considers running turbo, they need to ask themselves a couple questions...

-What is the intended use of the vehicle (drag race, street/ strip, auto-x etc)
-what is your level of mechanical skill (fabrication time, engine tear down/ build up etc)
-What is your budget for the project?

...I would start with these three questions at the bare minimum!

Turbo project vehicles are awesome and they supply a virtually endless means of power production. They tend to be the most street friendly application for high horsepower cars (when considering the alternative of high compression/ lumpy cam or roots style or centrifugal blowers).

On the down side, cost of fabricating charge pipes, manifold design, exhaust routing, intercooler choice, and supporting modifications all play a huge roll. To properly design and install a turbo setup on a mildly modified daily driver, be prepared to shell out some serious dough, which will compound itself even more if you do not have the skills/ means of fabrication for a functional setup (ability to tig weld aluminum, design/ fabricate exhaust and manifolds, etc).

Can an oem short block handle boost? Absolutely....IF the tune-up is right, and the system functions properly. This would be no different then purchasing a "low-boost" centrifugal supercharger package designed to run on an lt1. Boost is boost....the motor doesn't care where it comes from.

Will the oem short block hold up? Depends....this also relies heavily on the tune-up and COMMON SENSE. OEM components are only going to take so much abuse. Can you go out and run 30lbs of boost? No...of course not. It wouldn't be practical, safe or even intelligent...but again, this all comes back to knowledge level and experience.

I can't really give an accurate ball park price of what this would cost to install a turbo properly for everyone, because everyones situation, requirements and setup is different...so instead I will give you a rough list of the components required to install a SINGLE turbo on a sbc.

-Exhaust manifolds (turbo headers); this will be your means of supplying the turbo with exhaust gas and combining the two banks of cylinders.
-Turbocharger; ton of factors play in the roll of selecting the right turbo for your application (compressor maps, displacement and etc).
-Quality Wastegate; regulates the exhaust pressure to the turbo which in turn produces the boost. Essentially sets youre baseline boost for an external controller to work off.
-Downpipe; exhaust side of the turbo that connects to an oem/ custom exhaust (in this case custom).
-Charge Pipes; all the tubing that comes off the compressor side of the turbo to supply the engine with boost. Usually constructed from aluminum tubing for weight, but can also be fabricated from steel.
-Intercooler; air to air, water to air, or none at all....either way an essential component of any system
-Oil System; Supplys the turbo with fresh oil at all times, and returns the hot oil to the pan/ block (requires lines, fittings, adapters and possibly welding)
-Intake; supplies fresh air to the turbocharger. Maybe as simple as a filter on the turbo inlet or a cold air intake plumbed to the turbo

....the above components are only the necisary components to put the turbo ON the vehicle. This does not count any of the supporting modifications such as fuel system, timing adjustments, extensive tuning and etc. As you can see by the list provided, there is quite a bit involved just to get the ball rolling.

Hope this helps a little.
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:38 am

Turbo's ??? I didn't think anyone used them anymore affraid all sorts of ways to skin a cat. BUT the one thing that will help and is a "Must" thing NOT to do !! DETONATION !!! Don't detonate it and it will live. Daughters GN has a stock block, stock cast iron crank an stock rods and heads. 3660# car went 9.92 @ 138+ in street trim . Has over 20k on that motor. Oh once ya have to turbo set up squared away throw an Alky kit on it. Run LOTs more boost with pump gas/alky. I have one on my wagon beater. You will be thrilled with a turbo set up. OR blow it to smithereens with a screw up No
Oh... 3.5" downpipe is was overkill for what your doing. Plus it's tight in there. Doin a 3" this winter on mine. Maybe a Buick guy up buy you may have a used GN turbo you could start off with ?? I would also stay with a stock type internal wastegate like the Buicks had. GM Buick engineers were pretty smart guys an kept things very simple . Oh they worked an took a beating !! I know I know all I talk about is how great the Buicks were. I was not a believer till 86 when they came out with the intercooled cars .
Should be am interesting winter project !! Just keep Als phone # on speed dialer Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:36 am

I know I said any and all help. I should be more specific. This is not my first rodeo with turbo engines. I have had a 1979 merc capri RS turbo. It was a 2.3 liter single turbo, and 4 speen manual, non intercooled, carb engine producing 140 flywheel hp. My second car was a 90 mustang gt, that was sent to Cartech for a single intercooled turbo. It was an 5.0/auto and it ran 11.60s at Firebird raceway in Idaho. And the last was my 87 Grand National. So I understand the need to keep the car from leaning out.

My biggest question is: What turbo can I safely use on a stock longblock, and what size injectors? I see Bill is calling for 42lbs injectors. I was thinking of using 30lbs injectors with a 255gph pump. But if 42s are needed, then that is what I will run. I may be using a air to water intecooler from the syclone/typhoon, and I don't mind a 3" downpipe. I would like to have at least 8-10lbs of boost total, but again I am being told 5-7 is about all I can do on a stock engine. I know Kenn bell used to sell a rotary boost, and rotary fuel pressure controler. I used thisboost control to increase my boost up to 12 psi on my GN, andit stayed together. I know that I will have PMCperformance.com do the tuning.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:43 am

Yeah, a 3" downpipe will be plenty, like Dan said. And Alky is key too, once you get the tune nailed.

As far as your fuel pressure regulator, I... I mean the guy I know, has done some fact finding on that, and it seems the stock LT1 one is up to the task. It can all be done through the tune, with the stock PCM...

I think you can make a cheap, hardware store, boost controller, too. Wink Unless you want a fancy electronic one, then that can get pricey.

If that dude ever gets off his ass and starts building his car, I'll give ya a buzz and you can come down and check it out. Smile

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:08 am

Oh yeah, and Al says he has this thing you can use:

Will that help?

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:29 am

toomanytoyz wrote:

Will that help?

I dunno about that BUT this will scare away the competition an be a LOT CHEAPER !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TURBO-BOV-SOUND-Horn-N-A-Vechicles-/310272555570?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483daf7a32

On a serious not why not just an air to air intercooler. I have one here from my RX7 that I no longer need. The air to water is great for drag racing BUT not so great for the street. I'd also just stick a K&N on the turbo an call it a day.
On the Turbo. Go just big enuff to get the job done. I'd rather push a smaller turbo to 25psi rather than a larger turbo that won't spool an will be a pig on the street for the first 50 ft.

Last edited by Grumpy on Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JaySS

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:31 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
I know I said any and all help. I should be more specific. This is not my first rodeo with turbo engines. I have had a 1979 merc capri RS turbo. It was a 2.3 liter single turbo, and 4 speen manual, non intercooled, carb engine producing 140 flywheel hp. My second car was a 90 mustang gt, that was sent to Cartech for a single intercooled turbo. It was an 5.0/auto and it ran 11.60s at Firebird raceway in Idaho. And the last was my 87 Grand National. So I understand the need to keep the car from leaning out.

My biggest question is: What turbo can I safely use on a stock longblock, and what size injectors? I see Bill is calling for 42lbs injectors. I was thinking of using 30lbs injectors with a 255gph pump. But if 42s are needed, then that is what I will run. I may be using a air to water intecooler from the syclone/typhoon, and I don't mind a 3" downpipe. I would like to have at least 8-10lbs of boost total, but again I am being told 5-7 is about all I can do on a stock engine. I know Kenn bell used to sell a rotary boost, and rotary fuel pressure controler. I used thisboost control to increase my boost up to 12 psi on my GN, andit stayed together. I know that I will have PMCperformance.com do the tuning.

Injector size is kinda mute w/o actually figuring what you will be making for horsepower.

Cost, low speed resolution & if the injector drivers need saturated - LT1 PCM's do - or if they can handle the peak & hold style, come into play.

This is an opinion, but I think it is valid. Generally setups fall down because the money was spent in the wrong place.

Too much engine / not enough fuel type stuff.

Alcohol injection is your friend. They have come a long way in the past few years. Spending more money here can save you on having to spend it replacing the factory fuel system.

http://howertonengineering.com/products/aquamist-systems/

The HFS-3/5/6 systems have some well thought out safety features that help prevent things from getting out of hand.

Understand these - If you grasp how these are intended to work, you can see how the money invested in a comprehensive alcohol management system can save $ in the long term.

Turbo size ia a consideration, but not the be all - end all of the equation.

Recently I saw recently a setup where the turbo selected would have most saying that it was too small for the intended output.

However, the wastegate paired with it was intentionally oversized to control boost creep.

While the peanut gallery will be complaining that the compressor wasn't operating in its efficient range at high end, the combination was successful and worked as intended.

Remember the automobile is a system and compromises must be made everywhere.

It is the well thought out setup that averages the compromises over all of the components, that works and will be reliable.

Boost pressure is just a number telling you how much air is backing up into the intake. If anything people should be talking about how much cylinder pressure they can build.

Eiither way worry less about it and more about the fueling. The concept of supercharging, whether mechanical or chemical, is about the abilty to burn more fuel.

There are local people that can also do tunes, You may wish to expand your options...

- J

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:34 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:

Will that help?

Grumpy wrote:

I dunno about that BUT this will scare away the competition an be a LOT CHEAPER !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TURBO-BOV-SOUND-Horn-N-A-Vechicles-/310272555570?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483daf7a32

On a serious not why not just an air to air intercooler. I have one here from my RX7 that I no longer need. The air to water is great for drag racing BUT not so great for the street. I'd also just stick a K&N on the turbo an call it a day.
On the Turbo. Go just big enuff to get the job done. I'd rather push a smaller turbo to 25psi rather than a larger turbo that won't spool an will be a pig on the street for the first 50 ft.
I figured a couple TURBO decals was all I need to run 11s. Razz

Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:06 am

Will you be keeping the car long enough to build it?

I'm not sure why you would turbo a wagon as rare as yours, Car is very heavy, wouldn't it make more sense to save some $ and buy something already turbo'd and inhance from that point? Not to mention its your daily, why would you tie up your daily driver for a whim to go to a turbo?

Ask Larry Sr how much money is in the turbo motor he had done up. Just the tuning alone wasn't easy, but as J said, there are people who can do it.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:17 am

No Moa wrote:

I'm not sure why you would turbo a wagon as rare as yours, Car is very heavy, wouldn't it make more sense to save some $ and buy something already turbo'd and inhance from that point? Not to mention its your daily, why would you tie up your daily driver for a whim to go to a turbo?

Ask Larry Sr how much money is in the turbo motor he had done up. Just the tuning alone wasn't easy, but as J said, there are people who can do it.

Good luck.

YUP !!! He should buy a Buick Turbo project car Cool . Do a few mods and your well into the 12s. Easy to tune an has somewhat of a resale value. Hey I think I know of one for sale here Shocked
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:30 am

Grumpy wrote:
No Moa wrote:

Good luck.

YUP !!! He should buy a Buick Turbo project car Cool . Do a few mods and your well into the 12s. Easy to tune an has somewhat of a resale value. Hey I think I know of one for sale here Shocked

Arrow
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:06 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:

I figured a couple TURBO decals was all I need to run 11s. Razz

I always thought it was those stick on Type R badges that really helped?
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Grumpy wrote:

Wait, what.......Buick for sale? Selling the old daily driver?
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:11 am

V8Killer wrote:
Grumpy wrote:

Wait, what.......Buick for sale? Selling the old daily driver?

ya the 2 tone gray one the wife drove for years. Sold it maybe 4/5 years ago to a friend. He just bought a really nice GN . I swapped some of the parts of her old car. He is taking the eng, trans, and rear end. Bottoms of rear quarters need attention but the rest of the body is pretty good. Bumper fillers are junk. Floors are excellent !! Shame to cut it up BUT we will see. Things should be getting back to normal soon so Ill decide them. Neutral

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:20 am

No Moa wrote:
I'm not sure why you would turbo a wagon as rare as yours,
Why not? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:58 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
No Moa wrote:
Why not? Very Happy
I know the car is very rare. But to me, I see a daily driven hotrod. I am not looking to throw some big turbo on the car with some big intercooler, that makes a shitload of boost, but is not suited for the street. I am looking for a turbo sized for the engine, and power output I want. If I get 375-400bhp with 5-7lbs of boost, I will be happy. The more I read, the more I think it is possible to obtain the kind of power I am looking for safely. I have been reading about the diffrences between small and large turbos, air to air and air to liqiud intercoolers. And as Jason mentioned to me the other day. Packaging a air to water intercooler is a lot easier, and since the Syclone/typhoon trucks used this setup with great results, it would seem like a good choice.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:04 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
No Moa wrote:
Why not? Very Happy

Its a 4000pound car with 150k on it. Y in gods name would you waist your money? If you had disposable income, i'd say go for it, if you had another daily driver, id say go for it, but arent you going to run this all winter? Buy an f'in t56 and make it something really rare, and 1a2 DGGM t56, you have the gears and the driveshaft already. Do a frame off, clean the rust underneith, build a motor. Turbo, seriously? WTF are you thinking man?

Buy a 2000 pound car, and make 400hp on something that super fast. Buy a gd damn Supra, or a firebird, camaro, Grand national, whatever, something that isn't a land yacht and will actually go like hell. Putting a turbo on that wagon doesn't make it a hotrod IMHO.

This is my $.02. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:09 am

Geez, strike a chord, Glen? Smile

I think it's a bad ass idea, Billy. Do whatchoo want. It's your car. Wink Who cares if it's "rare?" It's just an old chevy wagon. Smile

(But he's right on one thing, a T56 swap would be a hell of a lot cheaper!)

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:26 am

Or I could just T-56 it. study I guess a Duramax/Alison combo is out of the question? Razz
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:36 am

I get wound up sometimes. No disrespect towards Billy or anyone, but in years past, no one has tried more crazy ideas than me, I've wasted so much money, makes me sick sometimes, and I really would hate to see you waste yours on a turbo for that car, it's not a turbo type car. Yes there are guys that have done it, do their engines have 150k miles, probably not. Do they have disposable income, you bet your ass they do.
That is not a cheap road to go down, I have looked into boosting the turbo and output in my duramax, when I went through all the options, I said he'll no, it's not cost effective for a daily driver.

If you were going to use it as a toy, restore it, and have a beautiful 1a2 wagon and have the running gear to support it, I'd say twin turbo the bastard and I want the first ride. This isn't the case, your gambling the engine and the tranny will hold up, it might, but I'm guessing no, then were are you at, stock finding another motor or building that one.

It's a noble idea, but a T56 and restore is where that car needs to go in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:46 am

No Moa wrote:
I get wound up sometimes. No disrespect towards Billy or anyone, but in years past, no one has tried more crazy ideas than me, I've wasted so much money, makes me sick sometimes, and I really would hate to see you waste yours on a turbo for that car, it's not a turbo type car. Yes there are guys that have done it, do their engines have 150k miles, probably not. Do they have disposable income, you bet your ass they do.
That is not a cheap road to go down, I have looked into boosting the turbo and output in my duramax, when I went through all the options, I said he'll no, it's not cost effective for a daily driver.

If you were going to use it as a toy, restore it, and have a beautiful 1a2 wagon and have the running gear to support it, I'd say twin turbo the bastard and I want the first ride. This isn't the case, your gambling the engine and the tranny will hold up, it might, but I'm guessing no, then were are you at, stock finding another motor or building that one.

It's a noble idea, but a T56 and restore is where that car needs to go in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.

I'd bet that 4L60 would'nt last a week behind a turbo motor with that weight (and that's being conservative) Laughing
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:03 am

No Moa wrote:
Putting a turbo on that wagon doesn't make it a hotrod IMHO.

Dammm.. opinions opinions.. Where do I start . Sorry but these old cars are just that.. OLD CARS that ya can drive . It would be fun to have it so it had some balls Twisted Evil I have always bought DRIVERS !! All my new cars were that to !! Although my last new car was in 1989 with the Turbo Trans Am. Oh it was the wifes car she drove daily . Rain, sleet, snow, and whatever else you could throw at it !! Like DRAG RACING it with 300 miles on it !! I had guys coming up to me a crying that I was racing a TTA that they only made 1550 of. BUT the grin on my face as I went down the track was well worth it. This was the best "fun" car I have ever owned. Hell she would race me in my GN with nitrous on it !
Now 20+ years later I needed a truck that I could fit a 4X8 sheet of plywood in to move my junk around. Welcome home the 92 OCC with a V6 turbo. I can't tell ya the fun I have with that car!! The element of surprise was worth the $$$ affraid I spent on that car !! It's only a 12 sec car but on the street it will hold it's own. Guess there is a method to our madness. Like my RX7 with a turbo BUICK Cool
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:08 am

Grumpy wrote:
No Moa wrote:
Putting a turbo on that wagon doesn't make it a hotrod IMHO.

Dammm.. opinions opinions.. Where do I start . Sorry but these old cars are just that.. OLD CARS that ya can drive . It would be fun to have it so it had some balls Twisted Evil I have always bought DRIVERS !! All my new cars were that to !! Although my last new car was in 1989 with the Turbo Trans Am. Oh it was the wifes car she drove daily . Rain, sleet, snow, and whatever else you could throw at it !! Like DRAG RACING it with 300 miles on it !! I had guys coming up to me a crying that I was racing a TTA that they only made 1550 of. BUT the grin on my face as I went down the track was well worth it. This was the best "fun" car I have ever owned. Hell she would race me in my GN with nitrous on it !
Now 20+ years later I needed a truck that I could fit a 4X8 sheet of plywood in to move my junk around. Welcome home the 92 OCC with a V6 turbo. I can't tell ya the fun I have with that car!! The element of surprise was worth the $$$ affraid I spent on that car !! It's only a 12 sec car but on the street it will hold it's own. Guess there is a method to our madness. Like my RX7 with a turbo BUICK Cool

And what did you spend pray tell?
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:12 am

No Moa wrote:

Restoring a wagon ??? May as well just slit your wrists Very Happy Talk about taking a bath !! Hell I just did this to an RX7 just doing a drivetrain !!! Car should be a blast BUT isn't worth 1/2 what I put into it. .. BUT when I get tired of it SELL IT !! Of course if it doesn't sell ya do my favorite thing "piece it out"
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:15 am

Grumpy wrote:
No Moa wrote:

Restoring a wagon ??? May as well just slit your wrists Very Happy Talk about taking a bath !! Hell I just did this to an RX7 just doing a drivetrain !!! Car should be a blast BUT isn't worth 1/2 what I put into it. .. BUT when I get tired of it SELL IT !! Of course if it doesn't sell ya do my favorite thing "piece it out"

If i'd had the money to buy billys wagon, it would already be frame off and sandblasted and POR15ed. Its that rare. But that is just me. The $ value is irrelivant, its the rarety in my eyes, they made one with that combo. But for my i've always bought rare cars, 77 bandit SE trans ams, i passed up dozens at cheap prices till i found mine. I bought a 2002 CE trans am, because its so rare, only 3000 made with the yellow.
Its about the 1 of 1 or 2 for me that makes it important.

Last edited by No Moa on Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had more to add.)
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:19 am

No Moa wrote:
Grumpy wrote:
No Moa wrote:

If i'd had the money to buy billys wagon, it would already be frame off and sandblasted and POR15ed. Its that rare. But that is just me. The $ value is irrelivant, its the rarety in my eyes, they made one with that combo. But for my i've always bought rare cars, 77 bandit SE trans ams, i passed up dozens at cheap prices till i found mine. I bought a 2002 CE trans am, because its so rare, only 3000 made with the yellow.

I'm going to make a trip & hide all your POR15 cheers SEM, Glen, SEM
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:21 am

V8Killer wrote:

I'm going to make a trip & hide all your POR15 cheers SEM, Glen, SEM

Yes, sorry SEM!
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:28 am

And what did you spend pray tell? [/quote]

no big secret.. $7500 !! affraid worth every penny to me because it had a Buick drivetrain in it. If I break it I can fix anything in a day . And the best thing of course is that it has some balls. Doin some more minor mods to it this winter. Having a ball with it especially since it got colder !! Cool
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:55 am

Thats pocket change! lol
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:03 am

No Moa wrote:
Thats pocket change! lol

ya it is . BUT if I needed to bail out of the car I could do it quick piecing it out. Cool Oh then I could sell you the shell to "restore" Twisted Evil

Ok Bill... stop posting in here an go get some parts !!! Cool
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:08 am

Grumpy wrote:

ya it is . BUT if I needed to bail out of the car I could do it quick piecing it out. Cool Oh then I could sell you the shell to "restore" Twisted Evil

Nah, not much into CCs. Though yours is very sweet.
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:31 am

Grumpy wrote:
Ok Bill... stop posting in here an go get some parts !!! Cool

X2 Woo-hoo! If my buddies old 2wd truck could run 11's with a 5.3 & a turbo, so could you cheers
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:13 am

No Moa wrote:
Oh then I could sell you the shell to "restore" Twisted Evil

Dibs! Wink
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:10 am

[/quote]Dibs! Wink [/quote]

careful what you wish for. Old people like me don't have much of an attention span Twisted Evil affraid
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:22 am

Grumpy wrote:
careful what you wish for. Old people like me don't have much of an attention span Twisted Evil affraid

I am careful. I would love a nice clean Oldsmobubble shell if one just "happened" to become available. Wink
Back to top Go down
laidlow91

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:18 pm

maybe something like this set up? Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:04 pm

No Moa wrote:
Grumpy wrote:
No Moa wrote:

While it is a rare car as far as numbers are concerned. 1 of 1. At the end of the day, it is still a 95 caprice wagon that has already been modified way beyond stock. The only thing that would scare or should I say scares me is the tranny living behind it. But what is the differnece between sticking a turbo on a stock engine and making 350+hp, and putting a built lt1 with 350+hp? Either way you will find the weak link at some point.
Back to top Go down
No Moa

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:17 am

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:09 am

IMPALADAKID wrote:
The only thing that would scare or should I say scares me is the tranny living behind it.
But what is the differnece between sticking a turbo on a stock engine
and making 350+hp, and putting a built lt1 with 350+hp?
Either way you will find the weak link at some point.

I know your lying here^^ Your not scared of nothing Like a Star @ heaven
I'll bet you could get a built tranny for peanuts if you blew up the existing....
Well....

that is....

if the Cadirat is eva finished & Al gets his lift back Smile

96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke the 4L60E
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Something else..scratch ..slipped my mind
Back to top Go down
V8Killer

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:32 am

sdstick wrote:

I know your lying here^^ Your not scared of nothing Like a Star @ heaven
I'll bet you could get a built tranny for peanuts if you blew up the existing....
Well....

that is....

if the Cadirat is eva finished & Al gets his lift back Smile

Lol, we don't call it "Dead-end Auto" for nothing. Oh and I prefer the the term "reasonable" . Grumpy always says "If ya pay with peanuts, ya get monkey's" Laughing
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Thank You Razz OK while we are talking about putting out more power for the wagon what are the limits on a stock driveshaft with little drag radials Cool
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:40 pm

LOL!

"Drive 'em in... Push 'em out"

Very Happy

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
Grumpy

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk Turbo   Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:42 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
LOL!

"Drive 'em in... Push 'em out"

Very Happy

NO NO NO !!! Drive them in ...Piece them out !! A lot easier and ya make a few $$$ Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

Lets talk Turbo

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next