BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)

Go down 
+4
bammax
1984twodoor
GasTT
toomanytoyz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) Empty
PostSubject: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Wow. Today was a great day. Smile

Short version, took a road trip with Billy Mac and finally scored me another Fleetwood. Woot!

Long version, ends up the same way. Wink So the past couple days, there's been some co-conspiring within the secret society and I was benefactor to the millings about. Glen hooked me up with his buddy that was selling a 94 Fleetwood for dirt frikken cheap, and I chatted with the dude, we came to an agreement, and then I set the plan in motion to go grab it today. I called Billy Mac to see if he wanted in, and that it would involve a long road trip, and a trailer with a dude with NO experience pulling one, and could be an interesting and fun time. He said yes, and we set it up for today.

He got here about 730am and we ran over to Uhaul and rented a trailer and signed the papers to go get a cavalier. Wink
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) Cadirat2003

Then we went and got Billy's new 9C1. I had it stashed at Al's place. No sense in driving right by it and not bringing it to his house!
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) Cadirat2013

Then a nice easy ride, getting the feel for towing on the way from Nashua to Dover. That truck tows NICE! We cruised most of the way 70-75mph and felt safe and stable and all was well. We made it to Billy's place with no hiccups or scariness or anything.
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) Cadirat2005
ONE car down, ONE to go! Not bad for a guy who had never trailered before! Very Happy

So then we heading up to the place that rednecks come from, Glen's area of Maine. 155 miles north of MY house. To a mythical town called Wiscasset. Another uneventful, empty trailered run up 4 to 95 to 295 to 1 to who knows what local roads. Took about 2 hours from Bill's place. We even drove through a town that looked remarkably like Natick or Quincy. Weird. Anyways, we met up with Glen in town and followed him to his buddy's house. And then I saw it in person. It looked just as ratty and abandoned and nasty as it had in the pics I was sent. PERFECT! I couldn't wait to load it up and call it mine! Even with the blown opti and plugged cats we were able to start it up (if you'd call it that) and drive it onto the trailer. Sweet!
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) Cadirat2014

Then we decided to follow Glen to the magical place where old Caprices go to die. Not sure if it was B Heaven or Hell, but it sure was a cool place! On the way there we were talking about how we had never seen a car like that, color combination, no vinyl roof, etc... And the EXACT SAME ONE drives by us! LOL! Billy was all like "Hey, there's one just like yours, but it RUNS!" LOL! And I saw Glen laughing in his truck too, cuz we had chatted about the rarity of the combination also... Anyways... Thanks for the tour, Glen! It was really cool. And glad to finally meet you! You've got some pretty neat shit tucked away here and there up there! Thanks for the hook-up, too!
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) Cadirat2007

So we left Glen's because he had to head back to work. We decided to look for a place to eat and fill the tank and head on home. We ended consuming some sustinance at the BK lounge in Brunswick or was it Bath? Not much to be said for that place. And then we set off down route 1. Bad idea. It was all traffic and lights and secondary roads. Boo. But we made it through. Found a gas station I could maneuver through and filled up. 10.8mpg on the way up. Not bad! Then it was an uneventful, if not slowed with Holiday traffic til south of Portland, run down 1 to 295 to 95 to SCREECH!!!!!!! 3 miles out from the York tolls. Like 20 miles of gridlocked backup for no apparent reason all the way to almost the Hampton tolls on 95. That sucked. Slowed us down so much we had to detour to Hampstead (instead of dropping off the car and then heading back there) to pick up my daughter from my mother's house... Late. Oops.

When things started moving again is when it got a little hairy. People were driving twitchy, as people are known to do once traffic starts moving again after sitting in it for hours, not sure if the speed is actually up and if it will actually last... But we made it to 495 with no real issues, just the occasional "running down the hills too fast to stay ahead of the trailer game" like we'd been playing all day. And then we hit a bridge/expansion joint/ Evil Kinevil ramp at 75 mph. And that was NOT fun. Especially 3 abreast with two other trailers! Holy Crap! Got air and everything! And then ANOTHER bridge! And another!!!!!!! Holy friggin pucker moment. Trailer rockin' and swayin.... Mashing the gas to stay in front of it all. Oye! We were so shocked by it, that we honestly couldn't even remember what it was we were talking about when we hit the first one. Like that 5 minutes was completely wiped from our brains. It was weird. So we headed to the slow lane and just cruised an easy 65-70 the rest of the way there. So then we get to my mother's house and Billy checks out the trailer while I'm loading Bella and her peripherals up. She sees the truck and trailer and is all excited. "TRUCK!" "Wow!" "Cool car!" And then I see Billy working at the trailer end of things so I walk over there and... Holy Shnikes! The wheel straps had let go and come off the wheels and were just laying on the control arms. DOING NOTHING! So those "jumps" on 495 actually almost did throw the car off the trailer!!! Nothing holding the car on aside from the safety chains loosely wrapped around the axle and the tranny's park detent. Scary stuff. So we re-situated it and drove the rest of the backroads home, uneventfully, with Bella singing in the seat behind us.

So we get to my house and it's time to unload. Here she is in all her popping, farting, and backfiring through the intake glory.
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) Th_Cadirat2008

And here she is in the driveway. It really is a nice color and the car was a STEAL for the price. It looks to be fairly solid, the body is good, and the trim is all there and straight!
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) Cadirat2009

A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) Cadirat2012

I'll clean up the garage tomorrow and get it in there and start tearing it apart. Gonna install a new opti, plugs, wires and Mark Ross's old cats (Thanks Mark!) or a set of Afterburners and hope to drive it next week. She looks like she'll clean up pretty good, too. The paint will shine, and the interior should clean up good too. And man, what a weird dark raisin purple that interior is. I diggit. Smile

Anyways... That's my - long - story of an idiot learning how to tow by covering about 400 miles and delivering TWO cars. And I really even fell more in love with my truck. That is a NICE rig and she tows nice and made an idiot like me look good. Love it. Thanks for reading. And stay tuned for the Cadirat v.2 mods. Smile

Oh, and how the HELL did I make it this far into my life WITHOUT owning a car trailer??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:17 am

Sounds like fun! WTF u going to do with this thing? I dont want to know..
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:22 am

toomanytoyz wrote:
Wow. Today was a great day. Smile

Short version, took a road trip with Billy Mac and finally scored me another Fleetwood. Woot!

Anyways... That's my - long - story of an idiot learning how to tow by covering about 400 miles and delivering TWO cars. And I really even fell more in love with my truck. That is a NICE rig and she tows nice and made an idiot like me look good. Love it. Thanks for reading. And stay tuned for the Cadirat v.2 mods. Smile

I LOVE the way the truck looks the chevy tail lights look great with the GMC grill. And those wheels look friggen sweet, are they stock GM? The caddy seems like a good project, and I think one cool way to build it would be "slowtouring" protouring, just in a larger format lol. Hot Rod did articles on it for older cars, but it'd work with that nicely Arrow

If not that, Straight up drag car Cool

and sorry for the edit, but doubling the thread seemed ridiculous lol.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:24 am

You MUST keep the sticker on the back window.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:29 am

In the future remember one thing......those trailers aren't designed for doing 75 over jumps Wink
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:37 am

I particularly like the part outlined. LMK if you decide to part it out. I don't need the sticker. Smile

A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) C_win
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 8:42 am

Rednecks? WTH.

And for the record, the guy that owned that, never even thanked me. No friend of mine.

This is the B-body hell btw. lol

Glad you got it. It really is a nice car for the price, i'm still kicking myself. Shoulda bought it.

It was good to meet you Bill, and to see Billy again. And glad it was a safe run up here to "redneckville"
Back to top Go down
http://www.collectorfbody.com
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 8:48 am

Whats the white TA in the back ground (whips sloober of shirt)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 8:56 am

Bill and I were like "Thelma & louise." We even had a cop in a white unmarked, and some guys in a red cadillac following us. Razz

I had a lot of fun. Or at least I think I did. I can't remember anything before we hit the jumps on 495. scratch

And thank you Glen for alowing us into Utopia. cheers

Thanks Bill Arrow
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 8:59 am

No Moa wrote:
Whats the white TA in the back ground (whips sloober of shirt)
It's Buick powered. You would not want it. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 9:18 am

This picture may hod the key as to why we lost the straps. The rachet is all the way inboard, instead of lined up with the tire.
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) SSPX0129

Look Mom! No straps! affraid
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) SSPX0133

So, what does 12,000lbs of American iron look like anyways? lol!
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) SSPX0130
Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 9:39 am

Straps, we don't need no stinking straps.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 10:03 am

Jim, you can't have glass for your project. Smile I think I'm gonna hold onto it for now. Wink

And I had no idea those strap anchors moved! I shoulda looked at them a bit more carefully! ZOINKS!!!!

Yeah, it was a fun trip, sweet jumps and all. Very Happy

Not sure what I want from the car yet. But it's just nice to finally have another Fleetwood. I've been secretly looking for one since I sold the old one. I doubt I'll go as far with this one as I did with that one, but the condition of the car will dictate what happens to it... Wink If it doesn't look worth saving, I may just fix it and flip it. If it IS worth saving, you can plan on seeing 4.10's, a converter, and some SS wheels anyways... Razz

Back to top Go down
No Moa

No Moa

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 10:32 am

That car is in really good shape I thought. I hope u keep it, as you said, it's pretty rare. Other than the other one we saw. Lol
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 11:00 am

Nice ride, can't wait to see what you do with it.

The 2500 trucks are perfect for towing a car, nice isn't it, my 1500 is not even too bad towing a car.

BTW: Car trailers are great, but EVERYONE wants to barrow it! Smile

Doug
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 11:06 am

Ya, they are great! I can't believe it was only $55 to rent one!

Last edited by toomanytoyz on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 11:25 am

Dude that car is awesome! I hope it works out for you.

And that is NICE to know you can rent those trailers. I was always under the assumption you had to rent a box truck from them too if you wanted a trailer. My friend dragged a 57 Chevy and a 49 Ford all the way from South Carolina like that, one car stuffed in the truck with the door closed, LOL.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 3:47 pm

1984twodoor wrote:
And those wheels look friggen sweet, are they stock GM?

Sorry man, missed that the first time around on my phone. Wink Thanks! And ya, they are stock GM Hummer H2 wheels. 17x8.5's. I just ditched the caps and modded my stockers to fit. The 33's make 'em look good, too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:54 pm

Oh! And the garage is cleaned up (enough to get her in) and now I can get to work!!!!!
A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) 1012101856

WOOOO HOOOOO!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 8:03 pm

She is home. Wink Now get some wheels on that puppy. Oh, and fix it so it runs good too. Arrow
Back to top Go down
1984twodoor

1984twodoor

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 9:39 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
1984twodoor wrote:
And those wheels look friggen sweet, are they stock GM?

Sorry man, missed that the first time around on my phone. Wink Thanks! And ya, they are stock GM Hummer H2 wheels. 17x8.5's. I just ditched the caps and modded my stockers to fit. The 33's make 'em look good, too. Very Happy

No problem man, They really do look nice with the 33s and the factory centers. I never would have though hummer.
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 11:30 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Jim, you can't have glass for your project. Smile I think I'm gonna hold onto it for now. Wink ...

Ok if you change your mind I need a bunch of metal all around it too.

I vote for white pin stripes and a custom naked lady plate frame.

A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) 373
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 11:32 pm

You should call it "REDWOOD" scratch
Back to top Go down
boojum

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:

If you are going to call a plate contest you should give the rest of us chance before posting the winner!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 5:01 pm

boojum wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:

If you are going to call a plate contest you should give the rest of us chance before posting the winner!

....and the winner IS....

CADIRAT

Smile

(transferred the plates yesterday Wink)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) EmptyWed Oct 13, 2010 5:39 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
boojum wrote:
IMPALADAKID wrote:

....and the winner IS....

CADIRAT

Smile

(transferred the plates yesterday Wink)
Yes!................Oh wait! Never mind. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)   A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :) Empty

Back to top Go down

A little adventure... Road Trip... New Cadirat! :)
Page 1 of 1