BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Lets talk hood supports EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Lets talk hood supports EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Lets talk hood supports EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Lets talk hood supports EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Lets talk hood supports EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Lets talk hood supports EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Lets talk hood supports EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Lets talk hood supports EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Lets talk hood supports EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Lets talk hood supports

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Lets talk hood supports Empty
PostSubject: Lets talk hood supports   Lets talk hood supports EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 6:49 pm

I had purchased a set of almost new F-body hood supports with the unserstanding that they are what I need with a fiberglass hood. What I hid not know is that they do not work with all fiberglass hoods, and mine is one they do not hold up.

Last edited by IMPALADAKID on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Deputy347K9

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk hood supports   Lets talk hood supports EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:00 am

Over the years I have purchased three hoods from SunCoast out of Florida. I would have to say the very best hood I have seen. I also tried the F body struts and they would not hold the hood up. I am using the stock B body struts that work great and have had no problems what so ever. The SunCoast hood is nearly the same weight as the factory hood and I believe it's stronger, I found that out the hard way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk hood supports   Lets talk hood supports EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 11:22 am

Deputy347K9 wrote:
Over the years I have purchased three hoods from SunCoast out of Florida. I would have to say the very best hood I have seen. I also tried the F body struts and they would not hold the hood up. I am using the stock B body struts that work great and have had no problems what so ever. The SunCoast hood is nearly the same weight as the factory hood and I believe it's stronger, I found that out the hard way.
I am currently using one B-body support, but when I use two, the hood bows in the middle on both sides. The one I have is kinda week anyways. I am afraid of stress cracks and failure with just one or both. One because nothing is supporting the other side, and both because it causes the hood to bow. I figure a set of old week B-body supports would do the trick. scratch

EDIT: Found it right here at the bottom of the page. Thanks Larry
http://suncoastramairhoods.com/info-faqs-cat.html
Back to top Go down
Fishah

Fishah

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk hood supports   Lets talk hood supports EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 2:03 pm

I used F-Body struts. They did hold up the hood.... Unless there was wind, or snow or ice on the hood.

I then switched to B-Body struts and they worked just fine. Didn't notice any real bowing....
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk hood supports   Lets talk hood supports EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 2:08 pm

I'd let you try mine but they attatch differently, plus they're bowing a steel hood so I doubt they'd be good on a fiberglass one. I'll check and see if I still have the old ones, but there's still the issue of the mounting points being different.
Back to top Go down
96slowss

96slowss

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk hood supports   Lets talk hood supports EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 8:47 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
Deputy347K9 wrote:
I am currently using one B-body support, but when I use two, the hood bows in the middle on both sides. The one I have is kinda week anyways. I am afraid of stress cracks and failure with just one or both. One because nothing is supporting the other side, and both because it causes the hood to bow. I figure a set of old week B-body supports would do the trick. scratch

EDIT: Found it right here at the bottom of the page. Thanks Larry
http://suncoastramairhoods.com/info-faqs-cat.html

if ur worried about only haing one side and dont want to run 2 dew to bowing. just run one in the middle. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk hood supports   Lets talk hood supports EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 8:49 pm

96slowss wrote:
if ur worried about only haing one side and dont want to run 2 dew to bowing. just run one in the middle. Laughing Laughing
I looked at that option, but there is no good spot to install it on the hood side.
Back to top Go down
96slowss

96slowss

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk hood supports   Lets talk hood supports EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 8:55 pm

it sounds stupid but it proboly would look cool and u have the room with the motor being so low
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk hood supports   Lets talk hood supports EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 8:58 pm

96slowss wrote:
it sounds stupid but it proboly would look cool and u have the room with the motor being so low
No, it does not sound stupid. I looked at that option, but the fiberglass is not thick enough in that area to accept it without modification. It is really a cool idea.
Back to top Go down
96slowss

96slowss

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk hood supports   Lets talk hood supports EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:01 pm

ya u would have 2 brace it some how. u could always just sell the hood to me! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk hood supports   Lets talk hood supports EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Run an old style prop-rod off the front. Most of the cars I've owned had one and it always works great. Easier to navigate then the hood struts when doing a tune-up too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk hood supports   Lets talk hood supports Empty

Back to top Go down

Lets talk hood supports
Page 1 of 1