BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GasTT

PostSubject: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:41 pm

So I am in the sho at my work right now I have it all to myself for the night. The caprice is on the lift, fluid drained and exhaust is down. I'm about ready to take down the cross member and drop this sucka!!! Wish me luck! If I run into any problem I'll be sure to bitch about it along the way. I estimate I will be here a long time. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
laidlow91

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:46 pm

good luck Very Happy
just take your time and double check all bolts when your done.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:51 pm

ok so one of the cross member bolts snapped, is it gonna be a problem having 3/4 in there for now?
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:01 pm

How'd ya snap a crossmember bolt??? Razz

It should be ok.

Good luck!!!!!! Very Happy

A Toasted Marshmallow, A Long German, A Lame Suburban and expensive dreams...
Missing all my previous B's, D's and V... Sad
American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
"Ooooh! Look! Something shiny!"
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:07 pm

I'm having a tough time separating the trans from the motor any tips? All bolts are out everything is disconnected it wont budge.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:40 pm

It's either stuck on the guide pins do to corrosion, or you missed a bolt or two....

Penetrating oil on the pins helps.

Removing the forgotton bolt(s) also helps, too. Smile

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:30 pm

You got 6 bolts holding the trans to the engine. Also 3 more holding converter to flexplate.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:35 pm

well now im kind of stuck because im not physically able to lift the transmission onto the tranny jack by myself. im here slone and nobody can come help me lift it. i keep trying but i know im gonna end up hurting myself. its been like 6 hours already i just want to get this in and overwith....... Neutral
Back to top Go down
GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:56 pm

fun is over... now i am just furious. its been 8 hours. and i am just now aligning the pins with the trans i ncan get the drivers side in but the passenger wide wont go..... i will be here till 5am.. i am turning 21 at 12:00 and i wanted to go out somewhere.. looks like thats not gonna happen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Before you go any further Tim. STOP! Take a breath, take a break, and take your time. I wish I had known you were doing this, I would have come down to help you.

Get the trans as close as you can to the block and pin. Run a bolt in that side, but keep it loose. Now lift and wiggle the other side until it lines up and throw a bolt in it. Make sure the converter does not move forward. When the trans is bolted to the block, there should be about a half inch place between the converter and flex plate. If not, you will have to pull the trans back out. If the converter is right up against the flex plate before you are ready to bolt it up. It could be because it did not engage the pump. And you will damage the pump and or the converter.

Connect the tranny lines before reinstalling the cats, unless you left the cats on. In which case leave the rear of the tranny hang down while installing the lines so you can reach them. And make sure to have the electrical connectors pluged in before lifting the back of the tranny up, and before the crossmember goes back in.

You can do this. I know you can. If it was not hard everyone would want to do it. Very Happy

Good luck and happy birthday. cheers
Back to top Go down
GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:02 am

Thanks Bill, I got the trans bolted up. I left the cats in and I have successfully bolted in the trans lines. Only problem I'm having now is the dipstick tube. It is stuck up top somehow and wont go up enough to go into the trans. My intermediate to cat pipe bolts flange was all rotted away I hope they stick back together like they were or my car is gonna be pretty loud. My back is sore from lifting the tranny so many times trying to get it onto the trans jack. It's now 12:01 and I am officially 21. I am just praying I will be able to drive out of here within the next 2 hours. I want to go out somewhere....
Back to top Go down
GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:01 am

2 torque converter bolts went in the third is not aligned??? wtf man i want to the this fuckin thing finished!!! all i have to do is bolt up the exhaust change the trans filter dump in fluid and im gone! i hope i did not screw anything up i have evrything bolted uo and if i have to take it down again im gonna kill someone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used the converter that came with the new trans is that an issue??? do the holes have to line up a certain way?!!?!?
Back to top Go down
GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:08 am

i just realized its not fully engaged with the pump the torque converter doesnt want to turn it keep kicking back i WANT TO FUCKING KILL SOMEBODY NOW I HAVE TO PULL DOWN THE WHOLE FUCKING THING AGAIN THERE GOES ANOTHER 5 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Back to top Go down
UberWagon

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:06 am

Be careful seating the torque converter, do not force it! Be gentle with it and it will go in like it is supposed to, you will have to turn it just right for it to line up with the pump, if you hear any snap or similar noise while trying to install the converter STOP! I have seen and heard the pump break when installing a converter, if it is broken the transmission will be junk until the pump is fixed. I am sure there are other members that are close by that will be more than happy to help out a friend in need, you just need to ask.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:43 am

Well I am done and I drove the car home so I guess I did a fine job. I now have REVERSE! It is now 5am affraid and I started at 3pm. I am officially the worst transmission R+Rer ever. I even had a lift and a full new car dealer shop at my disposal. My body is completely sore. Now that I am 21, I will be going to a good gentlemens club to get a well needed massage

cheers Victory is mine!!!

On another note my car sounds completely badass I am running no exhaust after the cats. I need to have new flanges put on. It isn't all that loud. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
UberWagon

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:47 am

That's good news bro! Congrats on the big B-day too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:05 am

Congratulations! cheers

You have now tasted victory.

Just hit the Foxy Lady and have a nice birthday. Wink

Last edited by IMPALADAKID on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
laidlow91

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:32 am

congrats on a job well done. cheers

and have a HAPPY B-DAY!!! jocolor
Back to top Go down
BoSStonsSS

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:26 am

Tim you wanna do my tranny lol!

ENJOY YOUR B DAYYYYY Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:28 am

LOL, and Happy B-Day, Timmah!!!! Very Happy

Now go see some titties. Smile

American Ricer
www.badassofne.net
NO MORE UNICORNS!!!!!

LOWER IT!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
onehunglo

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:38 am

Yes. I second that, go see some titties.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:43 am

And all the girlys say he is pretty fly for a.. TIMMAAY! geek
Back to top Go down
M.ROSS

PostSubject: Happy b day and congrats on the install   Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:07 am

Happy 21st Don't know if it was the smartest play to try a trani install by yourself but you damn sure got more BALLS than most your age.Be careful if you hit the birthday sauce = Tired from last nite and free birthday drinks could be a bad combo .Get yourself a driver.
Back to top Go down
GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:30 pm

Thanks guys, I'm sore like a muh-fucka!
Back to top Go down
Fishah

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:54 pm

Great job man. I sure wouldn't do that myself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R   Today at 5:47 am

Back to top Go down

Wish me luck - knee deep in trans R+R
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1