BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
May "Ride of the Month" EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
May "Ride of the Month" EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
May "Ride of the Month" EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
May "Ride of the Month" EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
May "Ride of the Month" EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
May "Ride of the Month" EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
May "Ride of the Month" EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
May "Ride of the Month" EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
May "Ride of the Month" EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

May "Ride of the Month"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
silverfox103

silverfox103

May "Ride of the Month" Empty
PostSubject: May "Ride of the Month"   May "Ride of the Month" EmptyTue May 04, 2010 11:59 am

Seeing Larry Jr. (nvss) is a no show for the second month in a row, I had to dig out my story, (well, actually cut and paste it)

My Ride of the Month Story!

I bought my first wagon somewhere in the neighborhood of 1967, a 1957 Chevy 210, I believe it was a two door. It was a six cylinder three on the column. Pretty basic car, if I remember right it was a $100 special, something a 17 year old kid could afford. I kept it for a long time, probably 3 months, before I killed the engine.

My next wagon I bought 1968. It was a 1963 Ford Country Squire loaded, paid $450. I’m a GM guy, but I think I would take it over my Roadmaster, in fact I know I would. It was 2 tone, gold body, black roof, and no wood. Besides looking like a very stylish wagon, it had the HP to back it up. It was powered by a “390”, I believe 335 HP. But what really made this a hot wagon was that it had a 3 speed standard on the column with manual overdrive. Boy I wish I still had that, but traded it in for a 1967 GTO ($2295).

Fast forward to about 1996, I was reading my local “nickel shopper”, when I stumbled across an ad for a 1957 Chevrolet Nomad for $1800. I said to myself this can’t be right, no way. So I called the number and sure enough it was right. It was only 2 miles from my house. I couldn’t believe it. I went to look at it. It looked pretty decent on the outside; but on the inside it needed some floor and interior work. But this is a 40 year old NE car, it wasn’t bad. It ran and had a 350 w/ 4 speed. I paid him his money and drove it home.

I figured this would be a perfect project for myself and my son to bond with, he was in the 7th grade I think. Well we got it home and gave it a basic cleaning just to get the crap out of it. I think that was the first and only time my son worked on it. He had other interests, cars were not among them; today he is a lawyer in Atlanta and still doesn’t understand me and cars.

But that wasn’t going to stop me. I took that car completely apart; frame off and engine out. I carefully boxed and bagged everything. I next cleaned the frame and painted it---and that’s how it stayed for about 5 years. I either had the money and not the time or the time and not the money. I guess that’s how life goes.

November 1997 it was time to replace our full size Dodge passenger van; which our 3 kids hated. One Sunday, I hit the GM garage to see what they had. Well there was a light Metallice Blue, big station wagon. I kind of liked it. Not quite sure what it was, but I knew it was a big GM. A 1995 buick Roadmaster wagon, hmm; It had a lot of features I liked: pleanty of room, V8, vista glass and pleanty of room for stuff. I’ve always been a Buick guy, I have owned a 72 Electra, 77 Park Ave, 78 Electra and an 84 Park Ave. I realized I didn’t need the Nomad, this was the answer. Sold the Nomad, made a grand, and happy as hell that I got rid of it. It just wasn’t going to get done as long as I owned it

If I liked it, I knew my wife was going to hate it. Well to my surprise she loved it. She said her father always had station wagons. Great! The next day I bought it for $16,500. My neighbor who is a diehard Toyota guy, looked it over and said “you know this is a Corvette engine in this”. I liked it more.

We had that car for 11 years, without a doubt the best car I have ever owned. I bought it with 49K and sold it with 234K. Ran as good when I sold it as when I bought it. Original engine, transmission, OPTI, alternator, waterpump and AC was cold.

About 2005 I started looking for another RMW, for Sunday best. Well, I was reading Craigslist, Boston, and I saw one listed, a 1994 for $800. Ad said had some problems with battery staying charged and paint was peeling. For some reason I had to call. I found out it was another LAB and the paint peeling was the trim. It was owned by a young woman whose grandfather was the original owner. She hated it, asking $800, 130K.

I went to look at it, found out the car was from Florida and was just driven up to Massachusetts. Having a NE wagon, I knew all the secrets and where to look for the dreaded “R” word, rust. This car was pristine, but filthy. Dog hair on everything, coffee stains carpet and rubber molding was hanging off, but not a dent of scratch. I offered her $600, she said how about $700, Sold. She probably thought she got the best of me.

May "Ride of the Month" DSC_0018

Drove her home, wife rolled her eyes, Oh well. Cleaned her for 3 days took the seats and carpet out. Scrubbed, shampooed and cleaned; and at the end of 3 days, it looked like it just came off of the showroom floor.

Pictures of the old Buicks will be posted.

Part II "The Subtle Changes"

The look of my RMW is pretty much a stock one, I guess it reflects my conservative nature. The first thing that I tackled was the wood trim. It was peeling real bad. After a lot of thought I decided to remove to repair. I then sanded it down with a foam sanding block. It was very easy to remove. I then decided to create a wood look similar to what was there. I then went to the hardware strore and bought two cans of rustoleum paint, one a sand color and the other a dark brown. I painted the sand as the base color and sporadically painted the dark brown on top. I think it came out real good and it doesn’t peel.

May "Ride of the Month" DSC_0076-2

May "Ride of the Month" DSC_0079-1

I was reading Craigslist and stumbled on a 94 RMS being parted out, being the scavenger that I am, I gave the guy a call. It was a 94 blue leather interior, I went at it and stripped everything that I could use or thought I could use. I took front and rear seats, twin fans, tanks, door panels, cruise control, seat belts, PCM and a lot of other stuff. Gave the guy $125 and we both were happy. For the hell of it, I tried the bottom half of the sedan rear seat in the wagon. It fit and what a difference. I knew the wagon seat was going. I took the back half of the wagon and sedan seat, took them all apart, grafted them together and got them ready for the upholsterer. Two days and $80 later, I’ve got the sedan seat in the wagon. Big time improvement.

May "Ride of the Month" DSC_5829

May "Ride of the Month" DSC_5828

Well, now I had an extra, passenger side front seat. Out goes the driver seat and in with the 2nd passenger. Two bucket seats, I like the look. I searched and found a 1999 Blazer console (non shifter). I got it to fit decently. Being gray I SEM’d it to blue. Perfect match!

May "Ride of the Month" DSCN0070

May "Ride of the Month" DSCN0071

The last thing I did to the interior was the radio, the stock radio was an AM/FM Cassette, no CD. Time for it to go. I found a 2000 Yukon radio with CD, same plug. I had to fabricate the brackets but it is a great improvement.

I recently picked up a set of fender skirts and had them painted. That is my next project.

May "Ride of the Month" DSCN0246

A couple of months ago I picked up this:

May "Ride of the Month" Wagon1a-1

My intentions were to make it a DD. When I looked at it in March, I couldn’t believe how good of a body it has. There was 18 inches of snow and I couldn’t really see underneath too well. Well I found out that it has a few tender spots underneath, where I only paid $400 for it, I decided to make it a part out. I plan on keeping a lot of the parts and selling the rest. I know I will make my $ back. Anyone need anything let me know. With my two oldest kids having moved to Atlanta, why mess with a rusty wagon when for $1500 to $2000 I can get a southern wagon.

Anyways, that’s my story, I hope to update with some of my old Buick pictures.

Tom
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: May "Ride of the Month"   May "Ride of the Month" EmptyTue May 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Great write-up.
I'm totally oblivious to anything wagon so this was a good read.
Funny that school of Crovo trim touch-up
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: May "Ride of the Month"   May "Ride of the Month" EmptyTue May 04, 2010 6:59 pm

Awesome story, I can't believe you paid 700 bucks for that wagon!!! When I first saw it I noticed what you'd done with the trim, figured that was the reason why, and thought it looked awesome.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: May "Ride of the Month"   May "Ride of the Month" EmptyTue May 04, 2010 8:16 pm

Great story, Tom. I love the interior of that car! Smile

And I'm still pissed you got to it before me! Wink

(Wanna sell that white one whole?)
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: May "Ride of the Month"   May "Ride of the Month" EmptyTue May 04, 2010 8:55 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
(Wanna sell that white one whole?)

Sorry Bill, the white one isn't whole any more. Most of the parts are in my cellar, you name it, I've got it, but not in maroon. But there is SEM that will take care of that.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: May "Ride of the Month"   May "Ride of the Month" EmptyTue May 04, 2010 10:27 pm

Congratulations Tom. cheers I knew you would be ROM if you tried hard enough. Razz

I still love the rear seat mod. Too cool, and great story to boot. Wink

So how about some current pics with the N97s? study
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: May "Ride of the Month"   May "Ride of the Month" Empty

Back to top Go down

May "Ride of the Month"
Page 1 of 1