BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????

Go down 
+3
mean ss
Cadet57
GasTT
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GasTT

GasTT

Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? Empty
PostSubject: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Now, I usually keep my personal issues personal but, I live on the first floor of a 3 apartment building. In the basement there is a common coin-op washer and dryer. My girlfriend was complaining that the water in the shower suddenly went cold and I realised the washer was running in the basement. I located my gas meter and followed it to my hotwater tank. I then followed the hot water line from the washer to MY HOT WATER TANK! Not only do I have to pay to use this washer but everyone else uses it at my hot water bill expense! What should I say to my landlord about this?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 3:31 pm

GasTT wrote:
What should I say to my landlord about this?

Fix it, and you're paying me the balance of everyone freeloading on your water bill? Shocked
Back to top Go down
mean ss

mean ss

PostSubject: Re: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 4:10 pm

put a shut off valve near the hot water heater so YOU can have hot
water when YOU need it Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 5:09 pm

If you like your land lord, talk to him. If not, screw him and take pics and go to the city. I am sure they would love to see that.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 5:11 pm

IMPALADAKID wrote:
If you like your land lord, talk to him. If not, screw him and take pics and go to the city. I am sure they would love to see that.

^ What he said.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

PostSubject: Re: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 5:19 pm

I'd just casually bring up the fact that the lines seem to be crossed and that you've been paying for the washer/dryer the whole time you lived there. Then ask if you should just subtract it from the rent or if you can have the key to the washer and you'll just keep the change from it. If you sound like it's no big deal and your just trying to get things straightened out then maybe he'll get the hint and make things right. If you sound confrontational then things may go bad quick. It is possible that it was just a screw-up when it was installed and he didn't realize there was an issue.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Tim

The landlord knows what's going on, this just isn't a mistake. If you tell him, he will play dumb and say he didn't know about or it must have been the previous owner etc.

Like someone mentioned I would go to the city building inspector tomorrow and report him. Document everything. The landlord won't fix anything unless someone with authority tells him (city). He will put you off, believe me.

Tim, then the next thing I would do is tell him in writing you want a free month's rent for every six you have been there and tell him if there is a problem you will be in contact with the city attorney.

Tim, I would also check where the source of electricity and/or gas that feeds the dryer and washer comes from. Make sure your not paying for that also. Also check common lighting, such as hallway or outside lights that they do not come off of your panel. Do a little investigating, this guy is sly! I am an electrician, so if you have any questions, ask.

Tom C.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 7:27 pm

If the rent included heat and HW, that would be one thing, but if you have to pay your own utilities, this is terrible.

My father is a landlord and it always seems like you have these clowns getting away with murder and never doing anything for their tenants, while at the same time my dad is nice, does nothing wrong, and then winds up with human garbage for tenants who trash the apartment, leave it a mess, and steal the refrigerator when they move out. Laughing
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 7:29 pm

I also noticed my hot water heater is leaking from the pressure relief pipe. I checked the gas line from the dryer, it has its own meter. The pipes look old and it looks like its been this way for quite some time. I wonder how many tenants there have been here that didn't notice it. I will have to check into the lights in the hallway. The landlord is an older lady, not sure if she is aware I think she inherited the house from her parents. The 'handyman' is her son. I have contacted him about the leaky heater/ shady hot water connection and he is going to disconnect it and said that there shouldn't be any hot water connected to it. I will talk to the landlord about compensation because I have lived here since the beginning of February. I'm not looking to make a big deal out of it I'm sure it didn't use THAT much of my hot water. But I'm not just gonna let it go either.

Another thought I had was previous building owner lived on first floor so it wasn't a big deal then but never changed out?

Last edited by GasTT on Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

PostSubject: Re: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 7:33 pm

GasTT wrote:
I also noticed my hot water heater is leaking from the pressure relief pipe. I checked the gas line from the dryer, it has its own meter. The pipes look old and it looks like its been this way for quite some time. I wonder how many tenants there have been here that didn't notice it. I will have to check into the lights in the hallway. The landlord is an older lady, not sure if she is aware I think she inherited the house from her parents. The 'handyman' is her son. I have contacted him about the leaky heater/ shady hot water connection and he is going to disconnect it. I will talk to the landlord about compensation because I have lived here since the beginning of February. I'm not looking to make a big deal out of it I'm sure it didn't use THAT much of my hot water. But I'm not just gonna let it go either.

If you are on good terms, I would try to walk a fine line on this if in fact it was a mistake or "grandfathered in" screwy setup that no one honestly knew about. Sometimes it's not worth it to get involved in the static from such a problem, however I'd definitely bring it up to them that you'd been paying your water bill in order for other people to use it for their clothes...lol
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

PostSubject: Re: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 10:13 pm

GasTT wrote:
..... because I have lived here since the beginning of February.
Feb 2010? If thats the case it didnt cost you much.
Maybe your better off leaving it as they owe you 1.
It'll cost you way more to get compensated then its worth
Also way more then it's cost you already with the "unintentional" connection
Just my opinion
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 5:11 pm

Any update Tim?

Tom
Back to top Go down
GasTT

GasTT

PostSubject: Re: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? EmptyThu Apr 01, 2010 6:10 am

The landlords son came and disconnected the washer from my hot water. Good enough for me! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????   Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Buildings coin op Washer hooked to my hot water tank?????
Page 1 of 1