BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 101 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm
Latest topics
» 2012 and up Caprice PPV
Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:36 pm by No Moa

» I wasn't even looking for this one, I swear!
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:52 am by 95brmw

» This forum needs a pulse check.... pics included
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:04 pm by Grumpy

» 1994 Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 am by lvd2340

» Who're You callin a Turkey?
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:32 pm by 802

» New Ride
Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 am by silverfox103

» Complete SS interior.
Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:35 pm by No Moa

» 2016 9th Annual Roundup, List of Attendees
Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:04 am by MASShole9C1

» Pictures from the 2016 Roundup
Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:03 pm by toomanytoyz

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 
CalendarCalendar

Share | 
 

 E-Brake- "Won't Hold"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cadet57



Posts : 4476
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Chicopee, MA

PostSubject: E-Brake- "Won't Hold"   Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:11 pm

So I just got back from a fun filled afternoon of waiting to get a safety sticker for the caprice. Turns out I need two ball joints, no biggie and the e-brake wont hold. Any idea how to tackle this one?
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker



Posts : 5075
Join date : 2009-07-30
Age : 35
Location : Reading, MA

PostSubject: Re: E-Brake- "Won't Hold"   Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:17 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
So I just got back from a fun filled afternoon of waiting to get a safety sticker for the caprice. Turns out I need two ball joints, no biggie and the e-brake wont hold. Any idea how to tackle this one?

What do you mean by "won't hold"? If the problem is the pedal won't stay to the floor and just pops back up again after you take your foot off, the problem is likely the short cable for the T-handle to the mechanism. They can get frayed and it makes the handle stay out when you release it. On my car this happened, so I lubed the hell out of the little cable and got it moving again. However, I do have to push the T-handle IN after I pull out on it, otherwise the pedal just won't lock down.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57



Posts : 4476
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Chicopee, MA

PostSubject: Re: E-Brake- "Won't Hold"   Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
So I just got back from a fun filled afternoon of waiting to get a safety sticker for the caprice. Turns out I need two ball joints, no biggie and the e-brake wont hold. Any idea how to tackle this one?

What do you mean by "won't hold"? If the problem is the pedal won't stay to the floor and just pops back up again after you take your foot off, the problem is likely the short cable for the T-handle to the mechanism. They can get frayed and it makes the handle stay out when you release it. On my car this happened, so I lubed the hell out of the little cable and got it moving again. However, I do have to push the T-handle IN after I pull out on it, otherwise the pedal just won't lock down.

Idk, the guy at the inspection station said it "won't hold" I assume it just wont stay down when pushed. Other than the ball joints and that stupid horn the car was great. Looks like a couple new projects for mod day Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cadet57



Posts : 4476
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Chicopee, MA

PostSubject: Re: E-Brake- "Won't Hold"   Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Ok so the ebrake lever goes all the way down and locks, so I haven't a friggin clue what they mean by it won't hold.
Back to top Go down
mean ss



Posts : 648
Join date : 2009-02-25
Age : 58
Location : Nashua NH.

PostSubject: Re: E-Brake- "Won't Hold"   Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Drum brakes? you might have to adjust them ,try backing up and applying
the e-brake a few times see if that does anything,if not then just adjust
the rear shoes, if there good then you will have to adjust the cable under the car
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1



Posts : 1486
Join date : 2009-01-21
Age : 53
Location : Rumford, Maine

PostSubject: Re: E-Brake- "Won't Hold"   Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:28 pm

mean ss wrote:
Drum brakes? you might have to adjust them ,try backing up and applying
the e-brake a few times see if that does anything,if not then just adjust
the rear shoes, if there good then you will have to adjust the cable under the car
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What Bob said.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57



Posts : 4476
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Chicopee, MA

PostSubject: Re: E-Brake- "Won't Hold"   Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:42 pm

mean ss wrote:
Drum brakes? you might have to adjust them ,try backing up and applying
the e-brake a few times see if that does anything,if not then just adjust
the rear shoes, if there good then you will have to adjust the cable under the car

I'll be tackling this tomorrow after I do the ball joints. Is it possible the cable is old or snapped? I haven't looked under it yet. to check.
Back to top Go down
sdstick



Posts : 4278
Join date : 2009-03-20
Location : Revere, MA

PostSubject: Re: E-Brake- "Won't Hold"   Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 am

Cadet57 wrote:
....Is it possible the cable is old or snapped?

Old? most likely
Snapped? You should feel that when you apply the pedal if thats the case
Do yourself a favor & have someone with you when your ready to check it out
Its SO much easier when you can have someone repeatedly apply & release
the pedal while your under the car watching the operation.
When adjusting, some do 1 side with the other drum off so you get the feel for that side right.
Also watch for areas where the cable slides across the underbody, it can hang up there too.
(another reason its good to have 2 bodies) Good luck

_________________
Steve


96BBB 28K 3.42 Bolt-ons
95BBB 100K 3.73 383 New DD...already broke fixt the 4L60E twice
95 Black WB4 Hole...ee...grail
96 Black WB4 No holes in this
95BBB 189K 3.08 Old DD Stolen...by Matt. Cool
Whine..eee...Silver LS6
Back to top Go down
Cadet57



Posts : 4476
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Chicopee, MA

PostSubject: Re: E-Brake- "Won't Hold"   Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:44 am

sdstick wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
....Is it possible the cable is old or snapped?

Old? most likely
Snapped? You should feel that when you apply the pedal if thats the case
Do yourself a favor & have someone with you when your ready to check it out
Its SO much easier when you can have someone repeatedly apply & release
the pedal while your under the car watching the operation.
When adjusting, some do 1 side with the other drum off so you get the feel for that side right.
Also watch for areas where the cable slides across the underbody, it can hang up there too.
(another reason its good to have 2 bodies) Good luck

Yeah, my father will be out with me as we'll be doing both lower ball joints, we're going to tackle this after. (Thanks MassDot!). If the cable is snapped (which I doubt as the pedal locks down and stays), is it a standard brake line or is it another type of cable entirely?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57



Posts : 4476
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Chicopee, MA

PostSubject: Re: E-Brake- "Won't Hold"   Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:39 pm

*Bump* After trying for about an hour to get one of the ball joints out, they won't budge. Even heated they wont move for us. Car is now going to the local Voc HS so they kids can bust their ass on it I'll take free labor any day. So they said they'd do the ball joints and adjust the drums. All I have to do is give them the car for the morning and buy the parts. Laughing
Back to top Go down
LandMaster



Posts : 258
Join date : 2009-09-03
Age : 26
Location : Waterford, New York

PostSubject: Re: E-Brake- "Won't Hold"   Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:20 am

My caprice had this problem so it didn't pass a "saftey" inspection it slides a little when it's on an incline till the drums grab. After I adjusted the shoes it was good, as for ball joints I tried mine PIA straight up. let the kids do it
Back to top Go down
Cadet57



Posts : 4476
Join date : 2010-03-14
Age : 29
Location : Chicopee, MA

PostSubject: Re: E-Brake- "Won't Hold"   Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:37 pm

LandMaster wrote:
My caprice had this problem so it didn't pass a "saftey" inspection it slides a little when it's on an incline till the drums grab. After I adjusted the shoes it was good, as for ball joints I tried mine PIA straight up. let the kids do it

Yeah I got one of these plastered to my windshield right now:



Thankfully after the ball joints everything will be up to snuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: E-Brake- "Won't Hold"   Today at 5:08 am

Back to top Go down
 
E-Brake- "Won't Hold"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Challenge 2: "Shagadelic 70's!"
» "Growing In Kindness" is now available
» Help identifying stoneware signature "S A H"
» "Trailer Park Boys"
» "The Victorian Affair." (Character Creation) RELOADED

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BADASS of New England :: 91-96 B & D-body tech :: Problems / Maintenance-
Jump to: