BADASS of New England
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
BADASS of New England

An automobile club for the enthusiast who enjoys the last of the big GM cars. The rear wheel drive B and D bodys. Chevrolet Impala SS, Caprice, 9C1, Buick Roadmaster, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Cadillac Fleetwood

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 182 on Thu May 27, 2021 9:57 pm
Latest topics
» Wheel and Tire Bundles
Painted my grille EmptyWed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm by scot

» Loss of a friend
Painted my grille EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 8:58 pm by silverfox103

» 2021 Fourteenth Annual B & D Roundup!! Mark your calendar! Saturday October 16th
Painted my grille EmptyTue Sep 28, 2021 11:01 pm by silverfox103

» WTB - caprice parts
Painted my grille EmptyFri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 am by ElKy

» 2021 Roundup Sign Up Sheet
Painted my grille EmptySun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm by black blur 96

» Another Vehicle Thread
Painted my grille EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 11:37 am by scot

» Wheel and Tire Recommendation
Painted my grille EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 10:41 am by scot

» 275/60-15 Nitto 555 Extreme
Painted my grille EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 9:41 pm by Chris Klein

» Allagash canoe trips 2021
Painted my grille EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 pm by Chris Klein

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Painted my grille

Go down 
+5
bammax
toomanytoyz
cloud 9
sdstick
Matt Trakker
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 6:14 pm

The grille on my car had bad chrome from tree sap or something like that, it wasn't peeling but was basically worn off the top of the grille where the "CHEVROLET" lettering is.

About a week ago, I got sick of it and painted the grille with "Dover White" Krylon Fusion paint. I lightly sanded what I could with 1500 grit just in case, the grille itself was already pretty worn, not chipped but the years of road anomalies gave it a dull appearance. After I had painted it, I gave it a final shot of the Duplicolor paint I had that is "supposed" to be the factory color for my car according to the paint code, but from a distance the grill looked a little more yellowish in the antique white direction than it should have. I also thought it looked weird as far as seeing where all the screw mounts were in the eggcrate section of the grille.

Painted my grille 22771_518446000036_213500340_31032748_6023962_n

Today I took it off again quick, resprayed it with the white Krylon, then after letting it set about 15 minutes in my house on the radiator, taped off everything but the eggcrate section and shot it again with "Satin Black" a few times.

Painted my grille 22771_518446005026_213500340_31032749_2853639_n

It didn't come out 100% perfect if you really scrutinize around those curved corners of the eggcrate area, and I wish the white paint leveled out a little better (the satin black looks a bit shinier than the white! LOL) but whatever- I did all of this in about 20 minutes spread out over an hour while I was doing some other stuff around my house, it was almost dark out, and it was 30 degrees out too...I usually talk my own stuff down but I think it came out pretty good. Cool
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Looks good from here!
I like that fix, put it on & lets see
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 6:55 pm

It's still drying! Well it's dry, but I want to let it cure as long as I can before I put it back on there. LOL

Testament to how good this paint is, even with my ghetto Malden outdoor in the winter paint and body work tactics it still came out pretty nice.
Back to top Go down
cloud 9

cloud 9

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 7:18 pm

I kinda want to do that to mine too. bounce
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 8:20 pm

Looks good, Matt! I diggit!

You could tape off the black again and hit the white with a clear to make it shine a little better, maybe?
Back to top Go down
http://impalass.uniquekind.net/
bammax

bammax

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 8:43 pm

You can always buy my SS grille cheaper than ever if you want some more options to try Wink

Good work on the paint job.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:13 pm

cloud 9 wrote:
I kinda want to do that to mine too. bounce

Your car is too clean! lol

I mainly did this because my grille was crap, and the car is sort of boring...yours is awesome! I'd try to preserve that one!
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:17 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Looks good, Matt! I diggit!

You could tape off the black again and hit the white with a clear to make it shine a little better, maybe?

Thanks! I'll decide after it's all cured on there, I'm thinking the satin black might need to dry a while to get to it's final appearance, but I put it on there kind of thick. Maybe I'll just clear the whole thing all together or something. I'm really just relieved it came out this good and the paint didn't bleed behind the tape, I hate masking for paint and don't even use tape when I paint ceilings and rooms!

Last edited by Matt Trakker on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:18 pm

bammax wrote:
You can always buy my SS grille cheaper than ever if you want some more options to try Wink

Good work on the paint job.

I didn't forget you had that one, we'll see what happens... Cool Thanks man.

Now it's going to look weird with the stock wheels and a painted grille. Laughing

I also painted the trim on the lip of the trunklid, it was in worse shape than the grille, and had a stress crack in it. One of the pegs broke off the back when I was trying to remove it too, so I figured I didn't have much to lose if I screwed it all up.
Back to top Go down
bammax

bammax

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 10:23 pm

It's always a good idea to practice on rough parts. Once you have the technique down then you can find nicer parts to work off of. I liked the way the Fusion went on but I never found a way to get it to hold up like it's supposed to. I usually end up going back to the knockoff wal-mart paint in the blue cans. That stuff sticks to everything, whether you want it to or not.
Back to top Go down
Tomz9C1

Tomz9C1

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 11:36 pm

LOOKS GREAT!
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 8:04 pm

So where the Hell are the installed pics??? Question drunken
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 5:02 pm

Okay keep your shirt on

Painted my grille IMG_8630a

Painted my grille IMG_8629a

Painted my grille IMG_8617a

Painted my grille IMG_8622

Looks fine the way it is I guess, I may clear the whole thing when it's warm out again.

Comparison before, you can see the crappy chrome if you look along the top, it was really bad in person.

Painted my grille IMG_8476a

I may put a nicer chrome grille on there again sometime...
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz
Club President
toomanytoyz

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 5:22 pm

Nice. I like the change. Smile
Back to top Go down
Pooge

Pooge

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 5:50 pm

Looks great! Better than the chrome for sure and different than the SS grill, so good work

Doug
Back to top Go down
sdstick

sdstick

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 9:17 pm

It's now personalized! looks real good.
Now lets talk about how much time you spend in the cemetary pale affraid
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 9:44 pm

sdstick wrote:
It's now personalized! looks real good.
Now lets talk about how much time you spend in the cemetary pale affraid

I KNEW you'd mention that, you mentioned it last time hahaha

The most convenient and easiest place that's close by for me to go take quick pictures of a vehicle is either Forestdale or Holy Cross Cemetery... Laughing

I already have my next modification planned, but that will have to wait until I can take the stock wheels and tires off in the spring... Cool
Back to top Go down
cloud 9

cloud 9

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 10:01 pm

I must say, that's a pretty handsome lookin ride you got there. Laughing
Back to top Go down
LiveFreeorDieTryin

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 2:52 pm

I really like it!
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 7:29 pm

cloud 9 wrote:

I'd rather have lace alloys... Very Happy

I noticed something funny yesterday morning- I was going up the highway with my headights on in the left lane, not really tailgating anyone or anything but here and there, you wound up getting stuffed behind a car doing about 55 and blocking the way. Well almost everyone moved over into the middle lane...usually NO ONE moves and you're stuck for about 10 miles. I thought it was unusual, then realized that some of the people must be confusing my car with it's black grille for:

Painted my grille 2983582_1

That's the only explanation I can think of! Laughing

For a while and just for this reason I was going to look for one of those decommissioned metallic graphite colored Crown Vics that the MSP uses for unmarked cars right now, you can usually find one with under 65K for about 6 grand if you look around. Not bad cars but I think they're too slow for what they are...I think my car with it's TBI 305 might be a little quicker than my friend's 04ish Crown Vic is.
Back to top Go down
Matt Trakker

Matt Trakker

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 7:31 pm

LiveFreeorDieTryin wrote:
I really like it!

Thanks! I like the silver one you just got!
Back to top Go down
M.ROSS

M.ROSS

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 7:45 pm

Matt Trakker wrote:
cloud 9 wrote:

I'd rather have lace alloys... Very Happy

I noticed something funny yesterday morning- I was going up the highway with my headights on in the left lane, not really tailgating anyone or anything but here and there, you wound up getting stuffed behind a car doing about 55 and blocking the way. Well almost everyone moved over into the middle lane...usually NO ONE moves and you're stuck for about 10 miles. I thought it was unusual, then realized that some of the people must be confusing my car with it's black grille for:

Painted my grille 2983582_1

That's the only explanation I can think of! Laughing

For a while and just for this reason I was going to look for one of those decommissioned metallic graphite colored Crown Vics that the MSP uses for unmarked cars right now, you can usually find one with under 65K for about 6 grand if you look around. Not bad cars but I think they're too slow for what they are...I think my car with it's TBI 305 might be a little quicker than my friend's 04ish Crown Vic is.
I've had this happen for years.All the way back to when i had a 89 9c1.
It still happens even with the 95
I think it's engrained in peoples subconsious after seeing caprice cop cars for so many years.I always laugh at people driving in front of real cop cars going EXACTLY the speed limit. You see them constantly on the brakes.
Back to top Go down
LiveFreeorDieTryin

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille EmptySun Feb 07, 2010 12:08 am

Matt Trakker wrote:
LiveFreeorDieTryin wrote:
I really like it!

Thanks! I like the silver one you just got!

Me too, Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Painted my grille Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painted my grille   Painted my grille Empty

Back to top Go down

Painted my grille
Page 1 of 1